****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site.

If you are using your phone, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Full Version." You should then be able to see the donation information in the upper right of the home page.

Canadian Schools?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pmcolorado

pmcolorado

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:summer and college programs for my dancing daughter!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent, avid watcher

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Does anyone have information or know of another site or discussion board with information about some of the colleges/universities in Canada that offer dance programs? For some reason my daughter has it in her head that she wants to look into studying in Canada and I have no clue where to begin researching. Thank you!

#2 mom2

mom2

Rubies Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

We probably have a few threads here for you to look at. The Universities would be University of Toronto and Ryerson (Toronto); George Brown College (Toronto), Sheridan College (Oakville, west of Toronto) - in Ontario. Then University of Alberta and I am not so sure about the BC connection - perhaps Simon Fraser?

The following professional schools have a post-secondary program, but this is dance only: National Ballet School, Royal Winnipeg Ballet School, Quinte Ballet School. I believe Alberta Ballet School has a connection with University of Alberta as well as its own post-secondary program. You might also want to check into the Goh Academy.

There are also a few places in Quebec which are dance only, not connected with a College/University. I would have to look up exact names as I just don't have that information at my fingertips. My daughter says that in Montreal there are good classes at Ballet Divertimento - again stand alone dance classes - but if you attend University in that city you could continue some training. That said, McGill University (where my daughter attended) does not have a dance program.

I hope this information is helpful!

mom2

#3 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:in teacher training program

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

York University in Toronto also has a dance program--I've known people who went there.

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#4 gav

gav

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

And, a slight adjustment to mom2's post -- I have no knowledge of a dance program at the University of Toronto. (I suspect she meant York and mis-typed, since both schools are in Toronto.)

Depending on what your daughter's interest is in continuing to pursue dance, she might be interested in the affiliations between NBS's teacher training program and York and Simon Fraser (in British Columbia). Students can earn the teacher training diploma and university degree through a joint course of study.

#5 mom2

mom2

Rubies Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yes gav you are right! Don't know what I was thinking! Thanks!!

#6 Natalma

Natalma

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent, balletgoer, always learning

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Also, Concordia University in Montreal has a contemporary dance program (BFA).

#7 Livviesmom

Livviesmom

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Dance. Yoga. Painting. Cooking
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, dance parent

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Can anyone share with me the cost for the Alberta Ballet summer intensive?

#8 mamabear7

mamabear7

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom to Dancer Daugher and Teacher Daughter

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

I can tell you last years fees.  This year dd is a year round residential student and this year's summer intensive are included in the yearly fees.

Summer School - non boarding - 2750.00

boarding        - 5300.00

This does not include any extra activities.  

Let me know if you need any further info:)

#9 sk8jdgca

sk8jdgca

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Dance of all types, Figure Skating
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of 2 dancers

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

The school of Toronto Dance theatre has a joint program with York also. Sheridan College program is a triple threat program so you need to sing and act too

#10 Livviesmom

Livviesmom

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

mamabear7,

Thank you so much! We are sending in a video audition this week I hope! How old is your DD?

#11 mamabear7

mamabear7

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom to Dancer Daugher and Teacher Daughter

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

HI Livviesmom, my dd is 17 and will graduate this June from the Professional Division.  Good luck to you on the audition video...if you have any questions on what to expect let me and I will try to help.:)

#12 Livviesmom

Livviesmom

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

Good luck to your daughter as well!

#13 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:in teacher training program

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Adding to gav's post above about NBS's teacher training program, mostly for additional information's sake:  RWB has a similar program.  Both programs are considered college programs (college in Canada being different from college in the States), but NBS has the affiliation with Simon Fraser and York (and, unofficially, Ryerson) to create a five-year double degree.  RWB's program is recognised as a teachable minor in a B.Ed. at UWinnipeg, and counts for up to 18 credit hours there. 

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

****Our 2017 Fundraiser has launched. Click for details to support our site. In association with Zazzle.com