What do they mean by the perfect ballet body?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 ballet_fanatic

ballet_fanatic

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Ballet(obviously), singing, reading, playing the piano, and dogs!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, assistant teacher

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ok thank you!

#62 CanaryFairy

CanaryFairy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:ballet, jazz, tap, modern, art, baking, design, sewing,
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I remember looking in the mirror at home and thinking "I want a smaller torso...",
and then looking in the mirror in the studio whilst I danced and thinking "MY TORSO LOOKS SMALLER!"

So this may be completely incorrect, but I have found the longer I dance (in years, I mean. The long run), the more "Balanchine" my body looks.

Maybe it's the use of muscle when you dance Balanchine technique? I honestly don't know. :) I think ballet can make everyone's body look equally as good, as long as you work hard!

#63 jujuhula

jujuhula

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Dance of course(: I'm in mostly advanced classes although I'm not on competition for my studio. Dance is a big passion for me. I'm mostly a jazz and lyrical dancer.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey I'm Julianne I've been dancing since I was two and I'm thirteen now. I'm in most advanced classes for my studio but I have no clue how I'm going to get on the competition team? Is it because I don't have a good ballet body?
J.Beg

#64 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,883 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, jujuhula!!!

The fact that you are 13 and at the top level of your school makes me think that you are at a more recreational school rather than a vocational one, right? That is fine, of course, because not everyone wants to become a dancer as a career! If you are just looking to dance as exercise and fun, than staying where you are makes sense.

If you are interested in training for a career in professional ballet, than you might consider looking around at professional ballet schools to see if this is something that makes sense to do.

Generally speaking, comp teams are usually inclusive regardless of body types, but if that is a concern of yours, then speaking to your teacher/s as well as your doctor may be a good choice.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#65 gavotteindmajor

gavotteindmajor

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

CanaryFairy, some mirrors are slightly bent inward or outward and the slightest imperfection in a mirror can make the actual reflection change. Most mirrors are not all the same, so maybe your studio mirror makes your torso look shorter than your home mirror. Not to mention, there are some days where our eyes just seem to see the certain things...:)
"Common sense would tell parents never to send their children to a ballet school. Common sense would tell teenagers that there is wider and happier world beyond the grueling strictures of daily barre and class. Common sense would tell the graduating student that there are infinitely superior ways of making money than joining a professional ballet company.

Yet... there remains the dance and the dancer."

- Author Unknown

#66 DancingSquirrel

DancingSquirrel

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Ballet of course ; character, pilates, modern...
    Drawing, flute, reading, baking/cooking, watching BBC shows (doctor who, downton abbey, etc) spending wayyy too many hours watching ballet videos ;)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet student

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm 15, 5'3''. [weight removed by moderator as per the rules of BTforD], and have pretty nice feet. My legs aren't extremely long, but I'm more legs than torso. My knees are slightly hyperextended, and I have no chest at all xDD Is this an okay "ballet body"?

#67 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,215 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

It sounds fine, but then there is really no way at all of knowing without seeing you. How about rotation and flexibility?

(I edited your post, above, to remove the weight factor. We do not allow any use of weight numbers on the board.)

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#68 DancingSquirrel

DancingSquirrel

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
    Drawing, flute, reading, baking/cooking, watching BBC shows (doctor who, downton abbey, etc) spending wayyy too many hours watching ballet videos ;)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh, sorry, I forgot about the weight!

I have almost 90 degree turnout on each leg. I have a nice arabesque, and I'm working on my front and side extensions, although I have been told have the potential of really good flexibility, just as long I as stretch frequently ;)

#69 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,215 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Sounds good, DancingSquirrel. :)

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#70 DancingSquirrel

DancingSquirrel

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for you help :)

#71 dancinglifeaway

dancinglifeaway

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, ballet, ballet, ballet, contra and square dancing, reading, writing, ballet, ballet, and..... ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, big sister to 6 year old dancer

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I know this is an older post, but I have some questions. I'm 15, done growing (I think, even though I grew over Christmas break and my feet shrunk) 5:8 1/2, slightly large but VERY strong feet, overall strong body, longish torso and longish legs. My extensions are fair, more than 90 all around on most days and I'm much more flexible than I had ever hoped to be. Oh, and a substanital chest. I have been dancing for almost eleven years and am in the Advanced section of my class. :ermm: I have interest in becoming a prinicipal dancer, or at least going to professional SIs. However, will my body hold me back?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that despite my tall body, I am a very good jumper.
You know you are a dancer when you are surprised that other people can't touch their toes.

Dance: Somewhere between having a dream.....and being obsessed.

I don't dance because I think I am perfect. I dance because I know I am not perfect. .
I don't dance because I want to. I dance because I need to

There aren't any mistakes: Just unexpected solos.

#72 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I know this is an older thread, dancinglifeaway, but have you actually read it from the beginning?

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#73 dancinglifeaway

dancinglifeaway

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, ballet, ballet, ballet, contra and square dancing, reading, writing, ballet, ballet, and..... ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, big sister to 6 year old dancer

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I have.
You know you are a dancer when you are surprised that other people can't touch their toes.

Dance: Somewhere between having a dream.....and being obsessed.

I don't dance because I think I am perfect. I dance because I know I am not perfect. .
I don't dance because I want to. I dance because I need to

There aren't any mistakes: Just unexpected solos.

#74 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,215 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Okay, then check out these two threads that Clara76 posted yesterday on the Being a Curvy Dancer thread, here in the YD forum.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#75 vicy998

vicy998

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Ballet (shocker, I know), alternative music, hiding from all sports with a ball
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet student

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Jeez, 5'7" and being called tall? I'm almost 5'11", and until this year I wasn't even the tallest girl in my studio!