Thanks a lot!!! :(

#17 BW

BW

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of former ballet student

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:13 PM

I'm in the process of trying to merge or link discussions about individual year round programs...we'll see how long I stick with this project, or perhaps someone else will take over. :) :wink:

Here is an informative thread regarding this program, with a variety of views:Dance Magazine: CPYB and its methods

#18 NutsaboutBallet

NutsaboutBallet

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Mom

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

Is the 2 week August program a better representation of the year round program?

#19 biners6

biners6

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:ballet, modern, jazz, singing, acting, reading, writing, history, french, friends, FINDING THE PERFECT POINTE SHOE!!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:professional dancer

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

This is a bit off topic (and please move if in the wrong spot) but I went to CPYB this summer and while i loved it and improved immensely, part of the atmosphere there really bothered me. It seemed like there was a huge emphasis on being unhealthily thin. While in class, several of my friends were approached and told "your thighs are too big to make perfect 5th" or "You're really too heavy to be in this profession". Sometimes the whole class (often a class with 12 year olds) was told that they needed to lose weight and diet changes were suggested. Students I met there, who also attended year round, talked to me about this emphasis on thinness being a year round issue, too.

As someone who is struggling with an eating disorder and knows all too well the havoc it can wreak on your life, it really worries me that an entire school is creating this atmosphere. I found that even people who weren't year round students were very preoccupied with their weight (granted, I'm more attuned to this than others might be) and it was an atmosphere that was difficult to for me to try to be healthy in.

I don't have first hand experience with the year round program, but I'd be interested if others noticed this atmosphere at CPYB, because i was struck by it more so than i have been at other summer programs, and it was pretty disturbing to me, even though it is otherwise a great program

~caroline

Edited by BW, 26 January 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#20 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,832 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

biners6,
I understand that you are trying to prevent others from having to suffer through an eating disorder, and that is very admirable. While I admire your intentions, I'm just getting a little nervous because it doesn't sound like Marcia came up to you and asked you to lose weight, therefore, we are relying on hearsay. Hearsay can do tremendous damage.

Please let me know if I am wrong and someone either did talk to you directly, or you definitely heard her say this to someone.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#21 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:...are many including making friends and influencing people...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Once a dancer always a dancer

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

During the August program, the teachers are only the 'regular' faculty. During the SI they have a lot of guest teachers from all over, some former students. I think that's what is meant by the August program is more representative of the year-round session. The 'regular' faculty all teach the same way. My dd learned a lot during the August course and has mentioned doing that again this year. It's tough, but their hearts are in the right place: they want you to do your best.

#22 msd

msd

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of a dancer

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

It's tough, but their hearts are in the right place: they want you to do your best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rhapsody -- can you elaborate more on this comment? Dd (age 12) is pondering the August course as a first, short, away SI. We've heard so many different things about CPYB...would love to hear more from someone who's been to the August course!!!

#23 NutsaboutBallet

NutsaboutBallet

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Mom

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

My daughter was 12 last summer when we attended the August course. She was in the emerald level. A few kids were younger, a few were older, most were 12. The focus of the classes are technique. She had three classes every day that were 90 minutes long. The barre was VERY long. The focus was PERFECT placement, straight knees & turn out. Your daughter will experience significant improvement in these areas, even though the August intensive is only two weeks. Marcia, the director, does not have any music played during her class. The focus is intensive. Your child will have class with Marcia 2-3 times a week. My daughter's favorite teacher was Melinda- a Mom type that is a ballet guru. This was my DD's third SI & by far the best. I highly recommend it for DK's at the intermediate level. The only negative I can say is that I heard children that were overweight were told if they were serious about ballet they should try to lose a few pounds. Feel free to IM me if you want more info. And by the way, Carlisle is a great little college town with few to no college students in the summer. :)

#24 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:...are many including making friends and influencing people...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Once a dancer always a dancer

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

I second Nutsaboutballet's comments. The teachers I saw and my dd worked with really wanted the students to get to their personal best. This really came across. I think that school's philosophy is that if the dk wants to dance ballet, CPYB will work with them to dance ballet. I wrote a 'review' of this SI in the CPYB August SI forum. I think a few other moms put reviews there as well so check it out in the SI forum.

#25 Goldenhuny06

Goldenhuny06

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Ballet what more can I say I love to dance.Outside of ballet I like the internet,shopping,hanging out with my friends and reading.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet student

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

I know the summer intensive takes older dancers with lower tech like me I'm 17 and am going to the intensive as maybe beg-medium intermediate.But does the year round school also take dancers my age and level of ability.Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Goldenhuny06, 26 January 2006 - 05:49 PM.

#26 lillianna

lillianna

Bronze Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of pro dancers

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

The year round program at CPYB is open to anyone. There is not an audition to attend and dancers don't have to "be asked to stay." Very often older dancers come to the school in lower levels in order to improve their strength and technique.

#27 dancelyssa

dancelyssa

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

One thing older students should be prepared for however, is to be placed at a VERY low level when they first begin there. I had a friend move there for year-round and she was taken off pointe and placed in Level 2A at age almost 13 (7th grade). And some of the kids who have been attending since age 5, were maybe 8-9 years old and they were in Levels 3/4 and on pointe!

#28 dancerwithwings

dancerwithwings

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

First of all, just a brief explanation. Next year, I have the option of deferring a year from college to study ballet intensively, and then to go for the late winter/early spring company auditions. Since I am graduating from high school a year early, (this May I will turn 17) this provides the perfect cushion year to pursue my dream, while also holding a part time job and saving money for college.

I have been looking into CPYB as a possible place to get the quality and intense level of training that I would need. I have searched through the threads for information on CPYB, but they focused more on the summer program and younger teens. I also noticed a comment by one of the parents how it is annoying when older students come to CPYB, specifically for the same reasons as I would. :secret:

My question is to those who are familiar with CPYB, how is the year round program for older dancers? What are your experiences with it? What do you think would be the biggest advantages at coming later? The biggest disadvantages?

And to open the discussion up to a wider audience, how does everyone feel about the option of deferring a year, or just taking an extra year to train? What should someone who is serious about pursuing a career be focused on in their training? What is the 'optimal' schedule? (in your own opinion of course B) )

Thanks so much for your replies. :shrug:

#29 msd053

msd053

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer avid balletgoer

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

Goldenhuny06,

I agree with dancelyssa older students should be prepared to be placed in a level that may have younger dancers. They will work with you to improve. As a suggestion you may want to consider going there on a weekend and take some drop in classes. You will have to take a placement class and than they will place you in a level. My DD has done this on a Saturday. The placement class is at 9:00 AM. CPYB charges $12/class or $40 for the day. Saturday there are classes all day long from 9:00 AM till 6:30 PM.

There is also the possiblilty of taking class on Sunday, but these are in Harrisburg not in Carlisle.

This way you can see for yourself how you may like it. You can call the office and they can answer any questions.

#30 Claudia

Claudia

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:All of the above! I co-own Tutu.Com

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

One of my sons did that -- went to CPYB's year-round program. He loved it. He got excellent training. The teachers are all wonderful and very committed to the art and teaching. You are lucky to be finishing high school early and to have this wonderful opportunity!