91 replies to this topic

#16 Hjete

Hjete

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 26 December 2002 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, Aurelie. It is good to hear that the Richmond teachers are serious about the ADC attendees as dancers, and now that you say I wouldn't be too young, I do have some more questions about the program. First of all, I read that there are four levels of ballet technique offered. Do you stay in one level once you/the teachers decide which best suits you, or can you take from a variety of levels (ie If you took level 3 or 4 for a few days then wanted an easier class, could you just take 1 or 2 or are you stuck where you started?) How advanced is Level 4....how much of a difference is there between the levels? I know that levels of classes are very different depending on the program/school, so maybe you could tell me some of the things done in the different levels or skills students in certain levels possessed. I'm sure if I attend the program, I'll be placed in the proper level in the placement class, but I'm curious as to how the program would fit with my technique....too easy/hard/or just right. What about other dance disciplines...are there levels in the other classes as well? I read there are 2 levels of pointe and the same for partnering. What about caractère, modern, jazz...what other technique classes are offered? What sorts of non-technique classes are there? stretch? kinesiology/lectures? I read you can spend about 8 hours in class a day...how much is technique/repetoire and how much isn't actually "dancing dancing?" Hmmm...what other questions do I have? Does the hotel shuttle really take you wherever you need to go? I take it you have to pay? How expensive? I guess the grocery store would be the only place I'd need to go. Is there a place to prepare food in the hotel? Do most people eat dinner out or make food for themselves? That's all for now. Thanks for bearing with all my questions and you don't have to answer them all. I'm sure the ADC site with have much of this info once it is up and running. Thanks again for any information. :)

#17 Guest_dancerwannabe_*

Guest_dancerwannabe_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:49 PM

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you had some questions.

Level 4 is primarily dance teachers or people who've taken a long time. I've only taken for a year so I took level one, which was pretty ok for me. You place yourself. The instructors may make suggestions, if you ask for them, usually they'll go by the number of years you've taken ballet. Nothing to stress over. Trust me. No one stressed more about the "placement class" than I. But there was nothing to be afraid of.. Its pretty much just a technique class like any other.

The shuttle is available. I think it's free. (besides tip). Usually you will meet someone with a car. You can head out to the grocer and pick some stuff up. We had a hospitality suite last year. This year rooms come with fridges and microwaves. Lunch is provided. Lots' of different groups go out for dinner. Don't be shy, just ask if you can go if you don't know anyone.. That's what I did. Some people go out, some order pizza and stay in. It's whatever.

There are 4 varying levels for tech. 2 for pretty much everything else. 3 and 4 are grouped together. 1 and 2's are grouped together. But the girls variation last year I thought was v. difficult. I had to take the easier version for the sake of quality and not making an idiot of myself on stage and captured forever on video.

Most of the classes are "dancing, dancing". It's great.. There is a great stretching class at the end. I'm about as flexible as a board. but it was nice. Then there is kinesiology and history of ballet sort of. They were great. There was modern and character. Both were neat. But you are dancing most of the time. Or engaging in some kind of physical activity. I suggest upping your fitness routine several months in advance to prepare. You will come home feeling stronger. Your teachers will notice improvements. but if you don't keep up the frequency, you will lose some of it. But it's great to know that you are indeed capable of rapid improvement if you are put in the right situation.

#18 Hjete

Hjete

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 31 December 2002 - 12:00 AM

Many thanks to you, Dancerwannabe, for your excellent reply to my numerous questions. I want to learn all I can about the program to see if it will be a good fit for me before I commit to going, so thank you for your help in this aspect. :)

#19 Guest_Gerdrick_*

Guest_Gerdrick_*

Posted 10 January 2003 - 01:45 PM

Hi there everyone! I read about Richmond Summer Intencive and was wondering if it would be possible to take ballet, pointe and partnering classes only? How many of these classes do they offer a day?
I am also pretty tall for a ballerina (5'10") and not sure if I would be able to do partnering class, is there a hight limit for girls?
And the last question is, would there be a trip to the ballet store with a teacher to (finally!!!) find a pointe shoe that works well on my foot?
Thank you very much,
Catherine

#20 Guest_Gerdrick_*

Guest_Gerdrick_*

Posted 10 January 2003 - 02:17 PM

Hi there everyone! I read about Richmond Summer Intencive and was wondering if it would be possible to take ballet, pointe and partnering classes only? How many of these classes do they offer a day?
I am also pretty tall for a ballerina (5'10") and not sure if I would be able to do partnering class, is there a hight limit for girls?
And the last question is, would there be a trip to the ballet store with a teacher to (finally!!!) find a pointe shoe that works well on my foot?
Thank you very much,
Catherine

#21 Guest_dancerwannabe_*

Guest_dancerwannabe_*

Posted 10 January 2003 - 02:35 PM

I'm tall. (5'10") and I took the partnering class and was fine.. It was my favorite class...not just because of phil either!! :rolleyes:

You can take whatever you want.. as many or as few classes as you want. But once you get into it, you don't want to miss anything.

#22 Guest_BBNButterscotch_*

Guest_BBNButterscotch_*

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the tips! I've been looking into Richmond, so any advice is helpful! THANKS!

#23 Guest_karenfixe_*

Guest_karenfixe_*

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:06 AM

Has anyone received their paperwork yet for the Adult Dance Camp from Heidi? Just wondering...

- waiting patiently by the mailbox.

#24 buglady

buglady

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:ballet, fiber arts, botony, sailing
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult student

Posted 15 January 2003 - 11:47 PM

Karenfixe--

Yes, several weeks ago I got a letter with the dates and info for the summer 2003 sessions. I believe that dancerwannabe already posted info on it. Did you go last year? It may be that only the alumms got an early notice and the rest are going out later?

#25 AnneT

AnneT

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:adult ballet

Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:25 AM

Buglady is correct. Alumni got the early notice.

#26 Guest_karenfixe_*

Guest_karenfixe_*

Posted 16 January 2003 - 10:08 AM

Last night I found out from my S.O. that my application had finally arrived. I did not attend last summer, so I'm not alumni. Apparently he brought the letter in, but it disappeared in the chaos of moving and my kitchen being redone. I was soo upset last night and we tore the place apart looking for it. We even went through all the trash and recycling. If there is a kind person out here, would you please fax it to me?

Karen Singley
fax (909) 792-0960

Please put it to my attention because I share a fax machine with many other people.

I've been so upset since last night thinking that now I won't even have a chance to get in for the August session. :) Aaron feels even worse. Much thanks and kindness will be returned to you...

Karen

#27 pirouettes2001

pirouettes2001

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 18 January 2003 - 09:26 PM

To Richmond summer alumni, I curious as to how many partnering classes are available during the camp.
Thanks.

#28 Guest_Basilo_*

Guest_Basilo_*

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:34 AM

I just noticed that the Adult Dance Camps 2003 website is now available. It looks as though all of the vital information is there while some areas are still under construction.

#29 Guest_luna_*

Guest_luna_*

Posted 10 February 2003 - 01:47 PM

Yes--my husband got it up this weekend--hurray! The text is complete, as are the photos, but the video components will take a little longer.

#30 Guest_Basilo_*

Guest_Basilo_*

Posted 10 February 2003 - 03:18 PM

luna,
Your husband has done a very nice job esp. for pro bono work?:)! I noticed that there is no contact e-mail address listed on the website (actually I did just find it on the application (.pdf) page)...also no credits for web design etc.

(sorry that this is a little off the topic of this thread)