12 replies to this topic

#1 angel_lissa_91

angel_lissa_91

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/student assit.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

I was wondering if there is any ballet exersise(s) that I would know ( I am in Elementry Ballet, and Grade 7 RAD) that can tone muscle in your thighs..I have really big and bulky muscles and really just want to tone it down...Inner and outer thighs..

*~Melissa~*

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,261 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

Melissa, ballet is all about lengthening and stretching the muscles...if it is taught properly. It does not develop bulky thigh muscles unless one works incorrectly, such as sitting into the hips and standing with the weight too far back in the heels.

Some people are genetically engineered to have the kind of muscles that bulk easily and others are not. If you have that kind of structure, it is even more important to be very sure that you are working correctly. Once those muscles are there, it's really hard to get rid of them, and if they are genetic, it's probably not even possible. There are not many specific exercises for lengthening, but one of the best is the old standard, the basic runners stretch where you stand parallel, bend one leg up behind you, holding the instep in your hand (be sure not to sickle) and pull the foot towards the derrière with the knee pointing straight down to the floor and placing it beside the other leg. Be sure the pelvis is aligned and not pushing back.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 wormy

wormy

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

I've got rather big muscly thighs from working incorrectly too, and i try to stretch them as frequently as possible. I tried the "runners stretch" as Ms Leigh suggested, however that does not seem to work for me. Perhaps that could be due to my gymnastics training, which left me rather flexible?

The only stretch in which i can actually feel my quads stretching is when i sit down in a front spilt and bend the back leg in. I've asked my pilates teacher what i can do to help and he told me to either stretch for at least 10 mins after each class or to take a hot shower to get rid of the latic acid build up. Maybe you could try that?

#4 dance_through_life

dance_through_life

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Dancing (obviously!), reading, cooking, writing.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet student

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

Having large leg muscles has a lot to do with genetics. One of the most amazing dancers at my dance academy has huge thighs, and while this may affect her professional career, she is going to college and majoring in dance and pedagogy, so dance will always be a part of her life. My advice is, work with what you've got, because you'll have it your whole life.

#5 angel_lissa_91

angel_lissa_91

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

*sigh* Ok..

#6 lampwick

lampwick

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Professional Dancer | Ballet Teacher

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

*knock knock*
Look up pictures of Sofiane Sylve (NYCB principal dancer)

She has a very muscular build with large thighs and looks absolutely gorgeous. Her legs look long and very stretched out because of the way she works. You may find her inspiring. It's possible in ballet to create the illusion of length, even if your body isn't small.

It's good to be strong! So many people need to work really hard to get ANY muscle. Trust me, I HATE floor barre. But I need to do it all the time or I'd be flopping around all over the place.

#7 qtpiedanzer01

qtpiedanzer01

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:ballet! ballet! ballet! i enjoy playing soccer, running, and swimming for recreation. i like hip-hop, r&b, rap, altenative, and classical music. my favorite disney movie is mulan! my favorite ballet is nutcracker. i'm trained in balenchine style and i love it! my favorite kind of weather is thunderstorms with hail, lightening, and thunder!!!!!!!!! i want to go pro. if i don't succeed i would like to be either a tornado chaser or ballet teacher. i love teaching!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

http://www.sofsylve....e-with-gael.jpg

Here is link to a picture of Sofiane Sylve, she has gorgeous muscles.

#8 hjkdancer

hjkdancer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

I agree Sofiane Slyvie is soo gorgeous!! Her muscular thighs are a big inspiration to many!! and i agree with the rest of the crowd to work with what you have.. :shhh:

#9 FlexNPointe123

FlexNPointe123

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

YAY! That gives me some more hope! I have thighs exactly like hers! My only difference is that I have a "sticky-outy-butt" (that's my way of wording it!) But that can be somewhat "fixed".

~*Erica*~

#10 angel_lissa_91

angel_lissa_91

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

I Agree!!! YaY!!!

#11 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:...are many including making friends and influencing people...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Once a dancer always a dancer

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

KNOCK KNOCK

Parent and Pilates student here. Pilates can help to lengthen muscles. Some of PNB's dancers have had their bodies transformed by regular Pilates workouts. A good, safe quad stretch is bending one leg and pulling foot to butt while standing on the other foot. Careful to keep leg in line with hip (not winging out to side). This is same exercise as Ms. Leigh is referring to and is can be safely done without damaging your knee. I love this stretch. Be sure to hold for at least 30 seconds to get the full benefit.

#12 Guest_sarabesque_*

Guest_sarabesque_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:55 PM

Here's a picture to add to the big but beautiful thigh collection- or at least defined thigh collection:
Karissa M. Stich, soloist-Milwaukee Ballet.
It's not as good as Sofiane Sylve but it's still encouraging!

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:34 AM

It may be the teacher in me, but I personally don't see anything particularly big about either Sylve's or Stich's thighs. They are muscular, yes, and show definition, but that, to me, is a long way from big.
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.