is 14 to old to start ballet?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

i am really interested in ballet, and i have signed up for beginner classes but im 14. A lot of people have been telling me im to old to begin ballet and be really good. I know it's something i would have to put a lot of effort into and im completly ready to do that. Is 14 to old to begin ballet and still be great? also im pretty flexible but i know im not flexible enough, is it still possible for my muscles to be trained to do what would be expected to be a good dancer?

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hi, bunni, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :thumbsup:

No, fourteen is not too old to start taking ballet. You can become a good dancer at it, too, starting at that age. It will just depend on what you want to do with it. At 14, if you intend to make a career as a ballet dancer, you must be sure that you're getting the very best instruction you can possibly find. If what you want is to dance for your own enjoyment, then why not be the best dancer you can be? Good training will always be beneficial to you in all sorts of ways.
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#3 Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

I would very much like to have a career as a ballet dancer. The dance school I registerd for only has beginner ballet once a week for 1 hour. and ofcourse i will be practing at home too. Should I be taking more classes?

oh yeah, thank you for the help Mr. johnson

#4 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,614 posts
  • Interests:Teacher

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

That is the biggest problem with starting as a teen, that there are not enough classes available. One class a week is just not going to get you anywhere fast. Try to find another school and take as many classes as you can get! The faster you progress to a better level, the easier it will be to find more classes. You might need to take class with adults, or even very young children to get enough classes, but if that is what you want, then go for it.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#5 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • 11,892 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

If it is something you want badly enough and you have the right facility for it, coupled with a great teacher who will guide you, anything is possible. DD just spent summer with a couple of phenomenal dancers who have only danced for 3-4 years and you would never know it. One started at 14. Go for it!

vj
Balance in everything ballet!

#6 Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thank you i will definatly look into other schools and talk with my teacher. But i have been having difficulties finding a school that will accept me and is also near by.

#7 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

There are a LOT of very good schools in Florida, bunni. If you give us an idea of the area, we might be able to point you in the right direction for training. :lol:

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#8 Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Guest_aenergizerbunni3_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

we live in new port richey, im starting ballet next monday at Mary-ann's school of dance. my mom said she heard from somebody that it was a good school.

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:56 AM

Okay, you are going to have to go into Tampa. I don't know schools there, but I strongly suggest that you call the University of South Florida at Tampa, ask for Gretchen Ward Warren in the Dance Department, and I'm sure she will be able to help you find the best school. :lol: Probably best to have your Mother call. If Ms. Warren is not available, ask for someone in the Ballet Department.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#10 tu2sparkles

tu2sparkles

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:drama,reading,scrapbooking,BALLET
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:interest in ballet,student,fan

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

i am really interested in ballet, and i have signed up for beginner classes but im 14.  A lot of people have been telling me im to old to begin ballet and  be really good.  I know it's something i would have to put a lot of effort into and im completly ready to do that.  Is 14 to old to begin ballet and still be great?  also im pretty flexible but i know im not flexible enough, is it still possible for my muscles to be trained to do what would be expected to be a good dancer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was exactly like you last summer.I was pretty flexible and very interested in taking ballet when I was 14.I started with 1 private lesson a week for 2 weeks then my teacher moved me into the highest ballet class level at her little studio.Now I take another class with mixed ages and I'm the demonstrator for her teen begginers class that I helped create.You never know until you try.