RAD Vocational exams

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_meagsy_*

Guest_meagsy_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

Hi I am after some advice and was hoping that their may have been others in a similar situation that may be able to help me.

I have been doing RAD (various vocational exams) for several years. I have completed the RAD grade exams upto grade 5 and I was now considering doing some of the vocational exams. I am in my mid twenties and would be doing intermediate and am unsure if I should go ahead or not as I would be so much older then the others doing their exam. The reasons for doing exams is that I would like to challenge myself more (I have been doing Intermediate and advanced foundation (or their equivalents) for about five years recreationally) and I would also like to have the oppertunity to do the teachers program.

If you have any experiance in doing exams as an older dancer I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

#2 Guest_Aoife_*

Guest_Aoife_*

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:14 AM

Meagsy,

I'm in a similiar situation. I'm 23 and have been dancing recreationally for the last 2.5 years. Previously, I did Grade 6 in 1994 and the old Pre El in 1993. I have no idea if we are too old to tackle the vocational exams. But I thought doing grades 7 and 8 might be less stressful and more managable.

Any thoughts anyone?

#3 dancing_dentist

dancing_dentist

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, teacher

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

We're not too old for Vocational exams!! I took my Intermediate exam when I was 22, and finally finished Advanced 2 last year at 26!
So go for it!!
:crying:

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:26 PM

When you get examined for teacher, expect a lot of "what does this do for the student?" and "which muscles are engaged here?" and "why do you teach it this way instead of another way?" With any common sense and maturity, plus an adequate backlog of ballet training, mind you, adequate, it's not that hard to gain a certificate as an RAD teacher. Now, the question comes, "What is 'adequate'...?" :wub:
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#5 Guest_Balletmunky_*

Guest_Balletmunky_*

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:55 AM

Okay- I'm 21 and doing my Intermed RAD which you need if you intend to pass for a teacher in RAD. That is the compulsory exam. Grades 6, 7 and 8 are not accepted in lieu of Intermediate. Then if you complete Advanced 1 after as a teacher you can use the initials ARAD after your name. I am in class with girls as young as 11 but if you intend to go further with RAD you need Intermediate to go on to all the othe vocationals.

#6 R.Mc

R.Mc

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet/contemporary dancer, eternal student, first-time teacher.

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:33 AM

I thought that you could only apply for the ARAD initials after you had successfully completed the Advanced 2 syllabus (previously the old Advanced)? Maybe I'm wrong, and this has something to do with becoming a teacher; but I passed my Advanced 1 a few years ago as a student member, can cannot use ARAD after my name. :wub:

#7 Guest_Balletmunky_*

Guest_Balletmunky_*

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:26 AM

Sorry- moment of senility there- it is Advanced 2, of course, because that was the old Advanced... :blushing: :)

#8 dancing_dentist

dancing_dentist

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

You get ARAD after Advanced 2. Then there's still Solo Seal Award, if you're still looking for a challenge.
:angry:

#9 Guest_dancerlover_*

Guest_dancerlover_*

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

Dear all

I am new in this board- as I am a late starter in ballet but have done Jazz for 5 years now. Decided to go for syllabus classes instead of freework ballet where my classes are always cancelled. I am placed in Inter-Foundation. Question, how does grading system work in RAD?

Do you take Inter-Found after Grade 8 or before Grade 8? Sorry for posting a silly question by RAD system seems different from those that I take

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:27 AM

You can take both simultaneously. "Grades" is recreational track, "Majors" is vocational track.
Mr. Johnson

#11 dancing_dentist

dancing_dentist

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:53 AM

Hi dancerlover,
RAD provides 2 paths, general graded and vocational. General graded starts from pre-primary, primary, grade 1 to 5, and then the Higher Grades Syllabi (Grades 6 to 8).

On this path, you can skip a level without taking exam, and you can even go back to take the skipped exam. I did that. See, when I wanted to take Grade 6 class, everybody at my school was to take Grade 7, and I was forced to join them, as my school cannot open a Grade 6 class ony for me. As I passed with Distinction, my teacher pushed me to continue to Grade 8. Only after Grade 8 did I return to take Grade 6.
And there's no age limit either.

In vocational path, there's Intermediate Foundation, Intermediate, Advanced Foundation, Advanced 1, Advanced 2, and Solo Seal Award.
On this path, you can only skip the "foundation" ones. Others, you must take in order. If you haven't passed Intermediate, you cannot continue upwards.
When you've passed Advanced 2, you can use ARAD behind your name. Solo Seal is fully optional.

:shrug:

#12 Guest_dancerlover_*

Guest_dancerlover_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:27 AM

dancing dentist

thank you so much for your explanation- i was browsing for more than 2 hours over the threads searching for something that could be simmiliar ..for fear of irritating others that may find my question irrelevant.

as i am an adult late starter who had never done any RAD exams but many jazz exams e.g. ISTD and CSTD, I am just a little confused still with the RAD system.

Does it mean to say that one can opt for vocational from Grade 5 onwards or actually stick and complete Grade 6-8? Does that make Grade 6-8 any much difficult than Inter-Found-Inter??From what I realised, the school has a system for girls to complete Grade 5/6 proceed to Inter-Found and Inter and continue with Grade 8..which sounds weird to me. Is this a common practise?

What would be a normal practise? I am uncertain as my original adult school placed me back to Grade 5 since I was going serious however they did not have the intake thus informed me to wait. My impatience led me to explore other schools, as I was doing Intermediate for 6 months, the teacher thought that I should go back to Inter-Found which would suffice... I am personally uncertain ..

#13 Guest_dancerlover_*

Guest_dancerlover_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:29 AM

mr. jonhson

sorry i just saw your reply...do you mean I could do both Grade 8 and Inter-Found together?

#14 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:48 AM

Oh yes. It's an unlikely combination, but certainly possible.
Mr. Johnson

#15 Guest_dancerlover_*

Guest_dancerlover_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

Which of the above grades are more difficult? Why do you say that it will be an unlikely combination?