California State Univ. - Long Beach

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Hollywood Ballet

Hollywood Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Dance, choreography, classical music, painting, sculpture, poetry, classic novels, travel!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, dance educator, choreographer, director

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Wait... I remember them as marley and not wood.

hushinfazen

Hushinfazen I can't honestly say that all their studios are wood, and the floor in the one pic is obviously marley. However- I took both the RAD Teachers Training Course and subsequently, part of the Dance Masters of America course there this past summer. We were in at least two different studios, both of which had wood floors. And I didn't complete the DMA course because in doing a simple travelling chasse-through-2nd, across the floor thing, halfway across the floor my foot kept sliding, and sliding, forcing me into an awkward position, and further injured a meniscus injury. I had to drop out of the rest of the week's program, for which I had paid significant $. I didn't make a big deal out of it, since the knee had already been injured once. But being on that flippin' too slippery floor didn't help.

Parenthetically, do you think DMA bothered to call me and find out if I was okay? (They knew I had been injured). Nope. Well, I may go back and do the entire RAD course, but I'm done with DMA.

But not to be defeated, I'm performing a short solo as part of the Mozart Requiem suite we are premiering this month. I'm doing the whole thing on the floor. Good thing I studied all that modern and release technique, lol! How does the saying go? If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. Guess I'm crawling now.

#32 autumn rose

autumn rose

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:professional dancer

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:07 PM

I am a graduate of California State University, Long Beach and was very active in their dance program. I entered the program as a ballet dancer with very little modern dance experience, and emerged as a well-rounded dancer confident in performing many styles. I am now a professional ballet dancer with the Georgia Ballet. In fact, I learned so much and received so much performance experience, that I was able to enter this company as a corps de ballet dancer, without having to complete an apprenticeship.

I am very pleased with my experience with their dance program. Not only was the world of modern dance opened up to me, but I was also enabled to further my training in both classical and contemporary ballet with top notch ballet professors. When I began the program, I still wasn't sure that I was going to be able to dance as a profession; however, after the extensive training I received, and numerous performance opportunities, I found myself having to decide between more than one company contract that was offered to me.

To clarify earlier questions, the floors in the studios on the bottom floor (three studios) are Marley, and the floors on the upper three studios are wood. All ballet classes for dance majors (while I was there) are conducted on the Marley floors. To be honest, the facilities there are the best that I have ever danced in (and I have taken class in many places). The locker rooms are huge with showers, a fridge, and a lounge room. The dance program has it's own theater that it does not share with any other dept. The dance majors also have access to pilates machines, an extensive dance film library, and their own physical therapist (visits free of charge for dance majors). I find myself extremely lucky to have been selected to participate in such a prestigious and thorough dance education.

I highly recommend this program to students looking to further their education in a university atmosphere. And yes, (although perhaps not the best path for everyone) it is possible to go to college and then dance professionally.

#33 2llori

2llori

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for your update. Have any other of your fellow students gone on to dance professionally? My daughter is currently a student there and is debating about dropping her minor due to scheduling conflicts, but I would like to see her find a way to work it out.

#34 GretchenStar

GretchenStar

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:instruction, performance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Former dancer/teacher

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:40 AM

The facilities at Long Beach State are great - I wasn't a student there, but I have performed at the Knoebel and the Carpenter, and taken classes in the studios. The upstairs studios were covered in marley when I was there, so I wasn't aware that they usually aren't (though since only the downstairs marley studios are used for ballet, according to autumn rose's post - I guess it doesn't really matter).

Long Beach State was my 2nd choice (when I was applying for colleges) - though not really for their dance program, per se, but because it was a local school.

And yes, it is very much a commuter school...

#35 2llori

2llori

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Here is an update for my dd's second year. She has now completely dropped out of her dance coursework. She really liked her ballet instructors here, but missed the rigor of her previous studio. CSULB's system is not based on experience or ability, but on what year you are in. The modern courses seemed to be the priority, and she had a difficult time adapting to that, and as her mom, I can honestly say that is outlook is part of her personality. She is still thinking about going to an outside studio, but the reality of how much time she needs to spend on her school work makes that difficult. There are many good studios in the OC/LA area, but traffic makes them all a challenge to get to. As I look at the reality of being a professional dancer, I know that she would have to come to this fork in the road some time, but I know it is sad for her, and for me and her dad. However, we want her to be prepared to support herself in a career that she is enthusiatic about, without the huge burden of student loans. So...good luck everyone, and make sure to ask a lot of questions!!!

#36 roadtrip

roadtrip

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer, fan

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

Hi - just wondering if there are any current Ballet Talk people at Long Beach. My daughter was accepted into the dance program there for fall '10, and although she hasn't decided where to go yet, it would be great to hear from someone who is there now. Thanks!

In a different thread (I think the UO thread) someone was leaving Long Beach to transfer to another school, and I was curious as to why.

#37 Latte_and_laptop

Latte_and_laptop

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a dancer, fan

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Our DD was just accepted into this program, and I like what I've read about it. However, nearly three years have passed since the last post. Anyone have more recent insights. I'll be happy to pay it forward if DD decides to go there.

#38 Lady Elle

Lady Elle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Ballet training, SIs, University programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student and mother of student

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'd love to read some current experiences on the dance program at CSLB. Particularly ballet - how many hours a week do they get... Tech, pointe, other etc. Anyone?

#39 JSR1

JSR1

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:dance

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

I too would like some current information about the dance program and the University as a whole. Anyone there now?