31 replies to this topic

#1 dance for me

dance for me

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer and mom

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

DD had jet glue down in her dance bag and it spilled on a fairly new knit warm up. The glue ate holes in the warm up. We were able to cover the holes with cute patches so she can still wear it, but just a warning to others--keep the glue in a tightly closed zip top bag or some other protective container!! Does anyone have any experience with dissolving the glue if this happens again? We are keeping it completely out of her bag now.

#2 Happy_in_Md

Happy_in_Md

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom, fan

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

Yikes! Seems like if it DID spill, even inside a baggie, that it would eat thru the baggie itself? Maybe it would be good inside an empty metal bandaid box? I never even thought of this - great warning!

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

The solvent in Krazy Glue/Jet Glue, which makes it stay liquid, is an acetone. It will eat most kinds of plastic, including vinyls, styrenes, and acetates. Polyesters and polycarbonates should be safe. Nylons may not be.
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#4 balletgirl22sk

balletgirl22sk

Bronze Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:teaching, choreographing, swimming
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:former pro, now teacher, 1dd

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

My dd had the glue in her bag- it spilled and ruined one of her favorite leotards and one of her pointe shoe ribbons. Now she keeps it at home and glues before she leaves for class!

#5 Sal

Sal

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:sharing information with other teachers
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher/studio owner

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Aren't you supposed to keep Jet Glue in the refrigerator? That's what dd was told when she bought it at our local dance shop.

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

You can do that, but you don't have to.
Mr. Johnson

#7 DancingDoodles

DancingDoodles

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I know I'm not supposed to type here but I thought it fit better with this jet glue story instead of the worst jet glue experiences. Is there any good thing that can get it off of your skin besides picking away at it until your fingers are red and swollen? :blink:

#8 msd

msd

Silver Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of a dancer

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

Nail polish remover dissolves the Jet Glue :blink: (and saves the ouchy fingers).

#9 Balletmom

Balletmom

Balletmom

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:The arts, reading, yoga, photography, the natural sciences, trying to find balance as a parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a dancer; ballet and arts fan

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

My latest endeavor is jewelry-making, and I was experimenting the other night with using a drop of Jet glue to secure the crimp tube at the end of a strand of beading wire and nodded off during the process :sleeping: (sleep is always the first casualty in my schedule) and woke up still holding the bottle of glue, but it was glued to a couple of my fingers, which were also glued to each other. :) The glue also ran down the beading wire, gluing several inches of semi-precious beads together. (Fortunately they were salvageable!) My daughter has also had glue spill in her dance bag, ruining various items. Its great stuff, but user beware!
First, find your passion in life.

#10 Treefrog

Treefrog

Sapphire Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of 2 dancers

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

I suspect that the greatest benefit to keeping it in the refrigerator is that it stays upright and OUT of the dance bag. :)

Our Jet Glue problem is having the top glued firmly to the bottle .... Not a disaster, but sure is a waste of expensive glue! I wonder if we can drip acetone down the neck and unstick it?

#11 lampwick

lampwick

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:Dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Professional Dancer | Ballet Teacher

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:29 AM

Balletmom. LOL!

Gosh, I often keep it at home, but have often put in in ziploc in my bag, thinking that I was being smart. Never will do that agin. Thanks for the tip that it'll eat through plastic.

#12 JRB

JRB

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

I keep the jet glue in the freezer to prolong the shelf life, which I was told is aprox. 2 years. It won't freeze in the freezer and you can still use it right away, you don't have to let it return to room temp.

#13 brivagook

brivagook

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

Not a parent, but armed with much experience in disasters involving jet glue...

If I absolutely have to take jet glue with me in my bag (I usually keep it at home), I wrap it up tightly in a plastic grocery bag or drug store bag. I haven't yet had it eat through that many layers of plastic.

To Treefrog: I always end up with my bottle tops glued on too, and I have found that I can sometimes get them open if I pry them with a longish pair of scissors. It can be a difficult task to get the blades underneath the cap, but if you can manage it, you can get a good bit of leverage to pry the top off. If that doesn't work, you can needle a hole into the bottle to get at least a little bit more out before you have to throw it away.

And please encourage your dancers to make sure the glue is completely dry before putting the shoe on! Sounds like common sense, but when I was in school one of my good friends ended up having her pointe shoe sawed off in the emergency room with one of those saws they use to cut off casts. She lost a good bit of skin in the process. The emergency room staff was amused; the teaching staff, not so much.

#14 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

You can wrap the Jet Glue in something that it dissolves. If it gets loose, the wrapping will act as a "sacrificial" buffer, like the heat shields on spacecraft. Just make sure that there are enough layers between the goo and the rest of the bag.
Mr. Johnson

#15 balletbeauty05

balletbeauty05

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, cooking, reading
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/student

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

knock knock, i don't know if i can post here because I'm a student
I recently spilled jet glue on my new grey ABT warmups (the overalls). Luckily it was only a drop but i was wondering if the acetone would harm the fabric?