Muscular Buttocks...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MissBallet_*

Guest_MissBallet_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

I have no clue why I'm posting this. I feel really akward saying this :) I have a muscular bottom...so it's not flat like most dancers in my class. Is this something to be embarassed about?
-MB

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,276 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

No, not at all. As long as you are in proportion and for your height and bone structure, it should not be a problem. :)

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 Guest_MissBallet_*

Guest_MissBallet_*

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Ms Leigh :)

#4 Alysse

Alysse

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:44 PM

MissBallet. You don't even know how much I appreciate you being brave enough to post this. The only thing I want is a flatter butt. I don't want to make it sound out of proportion, cause it's not, but it's definetly bigger then some girls in my class, and I feel it sometimes impedes me in 5th position. It's hard to tone it doen because I can't just go on a simple diet because if my stomache got any thinner I wouldn't be visible. And i'm afraid to do certain "butt" excersizes because I don't want it to "bulk". Any help?
Gosh I'm kinda embarrassed.
:/

#5 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 6,010 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, history, art, museums, architecture...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet teacher, Vaganova methodology/pedagogy, but basically just good teaching

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

Alysse working with proper alignment of the body will help to make your body look it's best for ballet. Feet flat on the floor, hips on top of feet, shoulders over hips and neck/head on top of shoulders. The feeling of embarassment can be a waste of energy and time. Learn to appreciate what you do have instead of focusing on what you do not. It is a big step in the right direction to talk about it and work toward a goal in ballet. We all want something physically that we do not have. The best we can do is to keep ourselves healthy and happy and continue to work on making ourselves the best we can be! :wub:
V. Schneider
Resident Faculty HARID Conservatory

Please understand I enjoy my job and BalletTalk. Although the two may seem to be related, I prefer to be me online, not my job!

#6 ddm3

ddm3

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

I know I am doing a huge no no here.....but, isn't it true that sometimes the muscles can be overworked thereby enlarging the buttocks? Improper use of turnout or gripping to hold turnout? I'd be interested in hearing your comments and thoughts.

#7 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,276 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

Yes, overworking, or especially not working correctly can lead to enlarging various muscles, including the buttox. Gripping is definitely not a good thing, nor is sitting in the legs and not keeping the body weight lifted up out of the legs.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#8 Alysse

Alysse

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Those things mentioned above are not my problems. It's just how i'm built. Mom and Dad. Let's just say that If it was a little smaller I would have ldeal dancer body. Anyone know how to fix it?

#9 jayo

jayo

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Stand in front of the 'thin mirror', if your studio has one. Mine has one that helps a lot. :)

Seriously though, it probably isn't as big a deal as you think. I am also blessed with a genetically generous behind (thanks Mom!), but although it seems prominent in class I find that most costumes look great on me - it really is the dancing that matters!

jayo

#10 Alysse

Alysse

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hahaha! Jayo, that was funny.
The "skinny" mirror. gosh i remember that at my old studio. Now it seems all of our mirrors are "fat" mirrors. Actually, I will never stand at the barre that is parallel to the mirror. I stand at the barre perpendicular to the mirror, so that when I'm on the left side I'm facing the mirror. If I stand where I see profile vision, I don't like the way I look and get extremely discouraged. :[
But, standing at the other bar is great!

#11 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,276 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

Alysse, I really hope that you are standing at a "barre" and not a "bar" :)

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#12 Alysse

Alysse

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

AH! how embarrasing. fast typing, sorry. :]

#13 Pierrette

Pierrette

Bronze Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Education issues, college dance programs, parenting a dancer.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of professional dancer

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

Knock, knock. What ddm3 mentioned was exactly what happened to my daughter. All through her youth, I thought she was making too much of her "larger" butt because I thought that was her natural shape. Even at 5 years old, she was clearly curved from her waist and broadening to her hips. When she then became overly developed on top, it seemed that her wider hips anticipated her hour-glass figure. But at 18, a physical therapist at her SI finally revealed to her that she wasn't working her piriformis muscle to achieve turnout.

Once she applied that knowledge, her transformation has been miraculous. First her chronic knee injuries disappeared. And then after a year of being away at school, she came home with this amazingly flatter butt. I really didn't think it was possible. After years of hearing her various teachers use laymen's terms, "Tuck in your hips," or "Turn out from your hips," it took a paramedical practitioner using the correct anatomical terminology and pointing to the muscle for my daughter to finally learn what was going on. All the orthopedic surgeons I took her to for her patella-femoral pain never identified this issue even though I told them that it had to be because she wasn't turning out properly. Learning about the piriformis muscle has turned into a gift that keeps on giving.
Pierrette

#14 ddm3

ddm3

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Thank you Pierette for your post. I have witnessed this first hand as well.

#15 Guest_MissBallet_*

Guest_MissBallet_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Wow...I am flattered that you all shared your stories and information :) I figured I get slapped across the face when I said this :D