• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 margaret from nj

margaret from nj

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of ballerina

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

We're just getting starting looking at colleges for my 11th grader. Can anyone recommend colleges that offer double majors in dance and nutrition?

Thank you,
Margaret from nj

#2 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,837 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Welcome, Margaret. I don't have time to give you a proper welcome (stop by the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself), but I did want to say 'welcome!'

As far as your question, we have a specific forum set up with individual threads for various colleges and universities that have dance programs. You might try to do a search combining the dance major with nutrition major, but I'm not sure our threads are really going to help you there.

You would most probably have more luck identifying colleges with those parameters using a search mode on one of the college discussion-type boards. (Unfortunately, I can't recall any to suggest at this moment and I really must run!)

#3 Taradriver

Taradriver

Sapphire Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:DD mom, women's health nurse

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Many of the schools with good dance departments also offer nutrition majors. I would suggest looking at the schools in the colleges and universities thread on BT4D then visiting their websites to see if a nutrition major is offered. Haven't had the greatest luck with the college search engines and double majors. Good luck and welcome to the board!

Mods- maybe this belongs in high ed general discussion?
Medical Moderator
SI Housekeeper

#4 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,836 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Your best bet is to go to the American Dietetics website. Sorry, I don't remember the exact name of the governing association. When my daughter was looking into this, she found a list of colleges that had programs and what their programs entailed on that site. Off the top of my head, Indiana and Florida State University are two. She was looking into Sports Nutrition specifically so it may be that those two had the Sports Nutrition program as an undergrad rather than just a Master's.
Balance in everything ballet!

#5 liljules5

liljules5

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:ballet, nutrition, medicine
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

TCU has a very good dance and nutrition program. She will be in school longer than four years, but this is expected with a double major.

#6 petitallegro

petitallegro

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Professional Dancer and Teacher

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

There is one student in the Indiana University Ballet Department right now who is getting an outside field in nutrition. This is slightly less than a double major, but should fulfill the requirements for graduate school study (it's quite a bit more than a minor--basically, a major without the general ed requirements.) I don't know how the nutrition program compares to other nutrition programs across the country.