10 replies to this topic

#1 tikitak18

tikitak18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:fan

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:20 AM

Hello everyone!

I have been interested in ballet since I was a child, but I hadn't have any opportunity to start learning.
I am already 18 and I know it's hopeless since I'm waaaay to old to start. Can you tell me some of your experiences about starting ballet late? Is it possible ever to catch up with other students who have been practising since their childhood?

Although I am old, I would like to mention that my body looks way younger than my actual age; people would give me 13 or 14 y., but even 13 is again too old. I have (how they call it) an "ideal body" and my weight is quite low (like average 12 y.o.). However, I'm not sure if my body is flexible enough since I am after all way older than I look.

Sorry for long topic.
I would like to hear experiences from late starters because I am not sure if it's worth even to start at such old age.

Edited by tikitak18, 02 June 2007 - 05:20 AM.

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,709 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hello tikitak18, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :)

You will find lots and lots of adult students here who started even later, sometimes much later, than 18. I'm sure they will respond and give you a great deal of information about their experience. I just want to say that it is almost never too late to start something you really want to do, and ballet is no exception. We do recommend that you find a really good school, and also that you take at least two classes a week. :yes:
Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 Redbookish

Redbookish

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

Welcome to BT4D, tikitak18. As Ms Leigh says, there are many adult dancers who read & post here, and several who first started dancing at twice your age! "Too old" is a description we do not recognise in the Adult Dancers' forums. If you read back through some of the threads, you'll see this. Here are some to start you off:

Anyone here start ballet as an adult?

Am I going to be any good?

Could we hear your stories?

I had my first class in a long time

Am I crazy? Dancing in my 40s

#4 ineluctability

ineluctability

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Did you miss my introduction?
I'm 27 and starting again (took ballet and tap when I was 5 up to age 10 or 11) on Tuesday!!

You are never too old for anything, in my opinion!!

#5 Guest_ingve_*

Guest_ingve_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:22 PM

Too old is always a relative thing.

If you want to become a professionl ballet dancer. Yes, the chanc that you will be making a living as a ballet dancer is low. But if you want to enjoy doing ballet and dancing, I cannot imagine that there is a age limitation.

I was a professional dancer for 15 years. Now, after I finished I enjoy my 5 classes a week like I never did ( or managed) as pro.

For me now the ballet class has become my chance to enjoy physichally and mentaly a regeneration every day!

What I am trying to say is, you will never be too old to enjoy the pleasure of taking ballet classes ( with good teachers of course like victoria said.

have fun

#6 skyish

skyish

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Opera (I'm a contralto), ice hockey (I'm serious, I used to play before my surgeries), figure skating (never did seriously, I just like to watch), dark culture, gothic literature, surrealism (both photography and art), books books books and books and books.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student, teacher

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

My story is like ineluctability's; took classes when I was a child but nothing important (floor barre etc.), started again after 8 years at the age 20; in 2006 September =)

Of course you can catch up with others, but no one can say that it is easy. It can be frustrating and annoying not to be able to understand/follow/apply given choreographies even at the barre at the beginning but after a few months you may find yourself in your school's spring performance with a solo dance like I did; and it makes you happier than you can ever imagine=)Go for it!

#7 ineluctability

ineluctability

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

That's so awesome Skyish!!
I went to my school's performance this weekend - and they had the adult classes performing along with everyone else - and it was totally cool and inspiring!
I am really excited for class now!

#8 cassy

cassy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:Tae Kwon Do <br />Music (almost any kind!) - i love Sade x<br />my two huskies<br />and of course ballet!!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

I took my first ballet class three years ago at the age of 23 and have never looked back, im so glad I found the courage to attend that first class, it hasnt always been easy but has always been rewarding and fun :grinning:

#9 deloris

deloris

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet mom and old ballet dancer

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

You are never too old to begin something new. I am 37 and us to take ballet as a child. I may be beginnning a new class in the fall. We will see. Good luck.

#10 jimpickles

jimpickles

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Adult ballet, yoga, dance comedy; work - physiology of hearing. Research scientist by day, dancer by night. Stretch teacher with "Posture and Flexibility" method (see www.pandf.com.au).
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student (adult)

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

I was interested in Ingve's comment:

"I was a professional dancer for 15 years. Now, after I finished I enjoy my 5 classes a week like I never did ( or managed) as pro.

For me now the ballet class has become my chance to enjoy physichally and mentaly a regeneration every day!"

I imagined that once you had been doing something at a high level professionally (with all the pressures that that entails), doing it just for yourself for recreation was somehow spoiled - because you know that you are doing it at a level well below what you were once, there is no NEED to push yourself, you miss the excitement of performance, and so on. I am glad to hear this is not the case. If Ingve or anyone else would like to comment, I would very much like to hear.

Many thanks,

Jim.

#11 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,555 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

I think when you're a young dancer, class is the means to the end- performing, so the perspective is that it's more medicinal than 'fun'. But when you age, and when you finally accept that your body isn't going to cooperate and give those marvelous fouettes anymore, class takes on new meaning and is very enjoyable.

I think that the people who are thinking that class is spoiled for them haven't quite arrived at the "acceptance" point yet.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis