Ballet Question Game

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#211 Blackswan

Blackswan

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:I love Ballet and music and having been playing the piano for 8 years! I also am in love with reading and pretty much everything truly beautiful!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student, balletomane

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Sorry I must of phrased my question incorrectly I was thinking of the Title Character sorry : (

#212 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Don't worry, it's a common mistake. After all, what do you do with a book called Tristram Shandy, where the title character isn't born until halfway through the book???
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#213 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Name the different lengths of tutu's though the years.

Romantic and classical? Is that the answer you wanted?

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#214 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Those are the two mega-categories, but there are a few more.
Mr. Johnson

#215 Blackswan

Blackswan

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:I love Ballet and music and having been playing the piano for 8 years! I also am in love with reading and pretty much everything truly beautiful!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

There were a few more era's of skirt lengths etc.. but those are the Major ones so lets just run with that!

How many Prima Ballerina assoluta's are theyre? Name them.

#216 Mellii

Mellii

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

There are eleven: Pierina Legnani, Mathilde Kschessinska, Alicia Markova, Galina Ulanova, Alicia Alonso, Maya Plisetskaya, Eva Evdokimova, Margot Fonteyn, Anneli Alhanko, Phyllis Spira, and Alessandra Ferri. Hopefully I spelled them all right!

Who founded the Royal New Zealand Ballet?

#217 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Or were there only two, Legnani and Kschessinska, with Olga Preobrajenska as a near-appointee, but she was in political hot water, and couldn't get named without causing problems.
Mr. Johnson

#218 Blackswan

Blackswan

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

The royal New Zealand Ballet was founded by: Poul Gnatt, Beryl Nettleton, Bettina Edwards and another female dancer, and pianist Dorothea Franchi.

I don't seem to understand you Mr. Johnson? Only two how could that be if as far as I knew they're were 11?

Edited by Blackswan, 10 May 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#219 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

The rank of Prima Ballerins Assoluta was a creation of the Imperial Ballet at St. Petersburg. In addition to company rank, it carried a sort of civil service weight, and a special status conferred by the Tsar himself. Even if we were to allow for the idea that it could succeed unchanged from the Imperial to the Soviet systems, that would admit only of Ulanova and Plisetskaya being added to the list. Lacking the presence of an Emperor or Empress, may the title be conferred with only the authority of a King or Queen and Parliament? In Russia, there was no action by the Duma, the authority to confer company rank being an Imperial Prerogative. The title seems to have devolved into a sort of publicity sop meaning, "good ol' gal who should have hung it up a long time ago, but the ol' lady won't quit!"
Mr. Johnson

#220 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,530 posts
  • Interests:Teacher

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

So perhaps they could be Prima Ballerina Assoluta Emeritus? :wink:

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#221 Blackswan

Blackswan

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

I get it!

I personally think that some of those ballerina's deserved the honor though.....

such as: Alicia Markova, Alicia Alonso, Maya Plisetskaya, Margot Fonteyn.. That's own my personal opinion though :)

#222 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Definitely those ladies, and more that haven't been mentioned. I wonder if there couldn't be an international colloquium formed from the nations which have previously named prime ballerine assolute, and convene to award deserving dancers the coveted title. It wouldn't have to be an every-year thing, like the medals at Varna or Lausanne and elsewhere. For example "for year x - no award." It could be a sort of university finding, rather like "prima ballerina assoluta honoris causa." Like a doctoral degree.
Mr. Johnson

#223 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

That would be cool!

We need a new question. :angelnot:

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#224 Blackswan

Blackswan

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Oh sure sorry I seem to have forgotten...

what was DBE Margot Fonteyn's Birth name.

#225 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

What's DBE?

Her name was Margaret Hookham.

What was Valsav Nijinsky only choreographic effort, and what occurred at its first (and only, I think) performance?

-Robert Frost