• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 blaise

blaise

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer and choreographer

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

Maybe it's a remnant from my childhood (*ahem* current) fascination with pointe shoes, both in terms of aesthetics and technique, but I frequently wonder about the shoe choices of successful female dancers. I was going through ABT's photo galleries earlier today - because clearly, I have nothing better to do at work - and I stopped at a photo of Julie Kent and thought to myself, "Hmm. I wonder what shoes she wears."

Anyone else find themselves doing this? I don't know why but I'm fascinated!

#2 SugarPlumFairy1

SugarPlumFairy1

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Music, Painting, Photography, Drawing, Poetry, Short Short Story, Videography
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

I do that all the time when I look at pointe magazine. Its fun, kind of like a guessing game. Sometimes if the photo is big enough you can tell by the construction of the pointe shoe of which brand it is. For example on pointe magazine with alessandra ferri on the cover I could tell she was wearing Freeds because of that stitching that is about a cm bellow the drawstring on the vamp.
College Student still dancing in my free time.

#3 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,141 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

:blushing: I do that constantly...... and I can usually tell what they're wearing too. I need to get a life, huh? :P :lol:

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#4 Tiffany

Tiffany

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Interests:dance, reading, crafts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:fan, student, sub. teacher; R.N.

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

Me too, totally fascinated! :P I love those articles in Pointe magazine where the pro's talk about their shoes; how they special order or how they break them in. I'm a total nerd!!! :lol:
"Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is no mere translation ... it is life itself." - Havelock Ellis

#5 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 16,141 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

Captain of Dork Planet here!! :lol: :P :blushing:

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#6 missvjc420

missvjc420

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:I really like to discuss many topics, from technique to classroom fashion, from kinetics to costumes. My passions are pointe shoes, and talking about dancers with non- traditional bodies.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

Guilty- and not only do I know what they are wearing, when a catalogue model is wearing a shoe that doesn't look right to me, I say to myself "she should really try __________ shoe". If Clara is the Cap'n I'm the parrot on her shoulder! :toot:

#7 blaise

blaise

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:01 AM

:party: I do that constantly...... and I can usually tell what they're wearing too. I need to get a life, huh? :P :blush:

If you do, I certainly need to. :toot:

So, kids, I think I know what Julie Kent wears, but does anyone know for sure?

#8 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 16,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

SQUAWK! missvjc420 want a cracker????!!!!! :blush: :toot:

I haven't seen enough pics of Julie Kent to really tell what she's wearing. Got one in particular you're referring to?

#9 blaise

blaise

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

Here are a few pictures of the fabulous Ms. Kent:

http://img.photobuck...tcorella1ms.jpg

http://img.photobuck.../julie_kent.jpg

http://img.photobuck...tcarreno1gs.jpg

They're not the best, but it's pretty difficult to find quality close-ups of her pointe shoes. :thumbsup:

Edited by blaise, 16 August 2007 - 10:17 AM.

#10 balletbum74

balletbum74

Bronze Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:ballet!!!, music, history, literature, and learning
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:aspiring student and huge fan

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

I think that she wears Freed Classiscs.

#11 blaise

blaise

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought. Freeds are, after all, the official shoe of the American Ballet Theatre. :thumbsup:

#12 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 16,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

It would appear that those are Freed customs in those 3 pics.

#13 SugarPlumFairy1

SugarPlumFairy1

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Music, Painting, Photography, Drawing, Poetry, Short Short Story, Videography
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

is she wearing freed classics in this picture?

http://balletbooksto...pic/jkent02.jpg
College Student still dancing in my free time.

#14 missvjc420

missvjc420

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:I really like to discuss many topics, from technique to classroom fashion, from kinetics to costumes. My passions are pointe shoes, and talking about dancers with non- traditional bodies.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yep Freeds. In the Black Swan pic I think I can see a shaded area of the dancer that used to be on the soles of Freeds when they only had one shoe. I've been trying to find better pics of her feet.

#15 Liz Power

Liz Power

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, student, avid musical theater fan

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Guilty! I'm not very good at it, though—the only ones I immediately recognize are Gaynors because they look so darn funny. How funny? Last time I saw ABT, I was way up in nosebleed land and I could still pick out the corps members who were wearing them.