Joffrey Ballet School --Trainee Program (NYC)

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#151 MimiDanse

MimiDanse

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

I didn't attend the summer program so i have never tried on the joffrey leotards before. I planned on ordering a small and a medium to try on then return the one that does not fit and order more of the one that does fit. Do you know if the leos run small??? I have a long torso but i feel the medium will be baggy.

#152 Georgia

Georgia

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I am hoping they will exchange my DDs black Joffrey leotards for the navy blue ones. It seems a shame to have spent all the money for the black ones and now the blue ones are required.

We got an email that if you bought the black ones over the summer, you will be able to wear them.

#153 dancemad

dancemad

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Theater going.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex principal dancer. Teacher. Mother of two dancers.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

I just received the email from Robert Ray about uniforms. He said that the leos are preferable with the jbs logo... so does that mean we can wear some without the logo, that are just regular leos but still navy?

That is certainly how I read it MimiDanse. I did send a quick e mail back asking him if that is the case so I'll let you know when I hear back. His e mail also said a 'tank' leo rather than 'camisole' so I'm assuming it's leos with the slightly thicker straps. The current photo of the navy leo shown under 'Ballet Trainee Uniform' in the store, is actually the same shown for level 4 Young Dancers. Therefore I'm assuming the Trainee photo is incorrect. Can't see both divisions having the same leo! Confusing :/

#154 mchgndncmm

mchgndncmm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet parent

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

My DD is currently a ballet trainee and loves the program. The whole leotard issue from the SI and at the beginning of the year was a bit of a mess. Like others - we got our summer order late (and some parts never showed up at all) and then paid for the Trainee leotards that never came. We DID get a refund for these. I hope members considering this program would not let a one time glitch/ mistake color your views of the training opportunity and of the program itself. Our daughter currently wears any navy leotards.
Uniform issues aside, we have been very pleased with the program. Our daughter loves it. I will talk to her later today about writing more current information about the program. What I can say is that DD is happier in dance than she has been for a long time - the program seems to have brought back a lot of the joy and happiness and confidence in our daughter.
Mr. Robert Ray is doing a fantastic job with the program and communicates regularly with parents and students via email. The transition to his leadership seems to be going well.

#155 Snowdancemom

Snowdancemom

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, travel
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of DD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

mchgndncmm, thank you for sharing your daughter's experience as a ballet trainee.

My daughter applied and has been accepted to the ballet summer SI, which she is seriously considering, but she also received acceptance to the Trainee program (if I read the acceptance letter correctly).

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I wondered if you could provide specifics about the program? Did your daughter do the SI prior to becoming a ballet trainee? How big is the Trainee program? Ages? Are there different levels? What percentage/numbers are also part of the JBS Performance Company? Are the students generally provided support in their search for employment/further traning (ie "career counselling" for dancers?)

DD is just turning 18 and will graduate from high school this year - this is a new post-secondary path for us to help a child navigate (no other dancers anywhere in family, whether close or extended!), so appreciate any information you or anyone else can share on this particular program.

#156 therese

therese

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:ballet, modern, post-high school training, parents of male dancers
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of a male dancer

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Does the traineeship extend beyond the high school years? We are looking for a place for our DS to go. He is a junior and does not want to go to college..much to my chagrin.

#157 toomanytights

toomanytights

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:ballet
    summer intensives
    college programs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher/parent of students

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

My DD auditioned for Joffrey summer last year and was accepted into a bunch of programs. She was also accepted as a year round trainee even though she was only 13 at the time. She went to a Joffrey SI last summer. This year she decided she wanted to go to a different SI so she didn't audition. We just received an acceptance letter to the year round trainee program. It makes me wonder if they are just trying to make money. She is only 14. Could she really go to this program if she wanted to? I was thinking it was more for dancers who have finished high school already.

#158 dancerbeen

dancerbeen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:hip hop modern ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

HI,

Our DD is 14, and will be 15 the day the SI starts. She has only been dancing for 3 years, and is still developing her technique vocabulary. She wants to be a versatile dancer, not just a concert or company ballerina. That's why Joffrey's mission appealed to us. She is in the 4 week performance track. We also received multiple, confusing emails about her acceptances, and they changed all the time. Finally in April we received an email (with no personal salutation) that after her hard work and audition, she was accepted as a trainee. We will make the decision on the trainee program once she gets a feel for the SI. However, Robert Ray, in a phone call with us, assured us that the SI is nothing like the trainee program. The trainee program has a much longer horizon and also include, of course the Kaplan Keystone High School and college prep program. The admin at Joffrey will give you the head of the Keystone Blended learning program to talk with him directly. We are seriously considering the trainee program, if all goes well with the SI, however, we have missed the housing deadline for Grove, I will most likely move there with her for the first 90 days and hope a dorm room comes up in January. We are still stringing our private school along, hoping we can pay for her school back home, to continue in 10th grade where she is currently. Would like to get in touch with any others who are considering Joffrey NYC trainee for a dancer who is still developing technique. 

#159 dancerbeen

dancerbeen

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Any trainees starting in Sept 13, any recommendations on how the program is evolving (recovering) under the leadership of Robert Ray?

#160 dancerbeen

dancerbeen

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Starting this fall, Sept 2013, that is 

#161 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,359 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

dancerbeen, Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! Hopefully, someone will come along and help you with your questions.

In the meantime, . . . . we need to determine who is actually 'dancerbeen'. :) The first post clearly is from a parent of a dancer, yet the profile for 'dancerbeen' indicates 'student'. On BT4D, we require that each individual poster/member have his or her own account and cybername. We do not permit the sharing of accounts.

Therefore, please re-visit your profile and if a 'parent', indicate that in the profile. This will not only help us with questions and answers, but will make it easier for you to join in the appropriate discussions in the appropriate Forums, as some of Forums have specific demographics as to who may post.

If, however, a parent and a student have been sharing this account, one of you will need to get your own separate account. If sharing a computer, please check the "How To" forum for help with setting that up. If you need further help, please let us know.

We look forward to getting to know you and having you get involved in our various discussions. But, we do need you to take care of this 'identity' issue right away. :)

#162 Snowdancemom

Snowdancemom

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

DD is currently at the ballet SI – performance track, completing week 2 of 4 tomorrow.  It has been a little overwhelming for her I think – first time in NYC, and she is in a very challenging level, with girls who are several years older with very strong technique, in a style that is somewhat different from what she has known before now (was bumped up at the last minute along with one other dancer, to even out numbers),  The dorm experience is good though (Pace Towers) - very nice roommates, air conditioned (!), wireless available (although speeds are a little slow for Skype), suitable for older dancers who are able to handle the fuss of travel to/from the studios.

DD is trying to find out more about the Trainee experience by chatting with other dancers and those of her teachers who are also year round faculty – specifically how the year round program differs from the summer intensive (size of classes per level, placement, monitoring/feedback). She is looking for a good "conservatory" type experience - with emphasis on learning and improving technique.  Does anyone out there have some insight/personal experience here?

My own concern is the difficulty in contacting anyone within the organization - i realize the summer program is a huge undertaking, but (with the exception of one very helpful person in the Financial office) lack of reply to emails and phone calls since April leave me wondering about their ability to deliver a quality full-time program.

Mchgndncmm – if you don't mind my asking, how old is your daughter and what level Trainee was she this past year? Has the balance of your DD’s year been a good one? Will she return next year? Did you/your DD get good communication/feedback from the school as part of the process? Really grateful if you can share any info.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any thoughts/information

#163 dance&moredance

dance&moredance

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:ballet, competition dance, sports
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

I would like to talk to someone whose daughter/son has been in the NYC trainee program.  My daughter it thinking about it but it is such a big commitment (especially financially).  We realize no program is perfect but would like to hear from someone with first hand experience.   We need to decide quickly!

#164 dancemad

dancemad

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Theater going.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex principal dancer. Teacher. Mother of two dancers.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

Hi dance&moredance,
Our DD has been a Ballet Trainee this past year (2012/13) & is not returning!
We found everything to be money driven. The standard of some of the students was really appauling & not even close to the standard you would expect in a Trainee Program! In our opinion it was all about how many the school could 'pack in' for the fees.
Organisation was a total joke from start to finish. DD was lucky in that she was one of three in her class (of about 30) that the AD Knew the names of!
DD loved the NY experience but financially & artistically it was a complete waste of a year.
DD now has a 50% merit award for elsewhere & has 'moved on'.

#165 Snowdancemom

Snowdancemom

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

DD accepted a full year ballet Trainee position for 2013-2014. She attended the 2013 summer intensive, but is otherwise new to JBS.  Here is some of what we know:

It is a 4 year post-secondary program, with a curriculum that not only includes dance, but also history, music, nutrition and anatomy. New students are placed according to the year of entry, regardless of age or prior dance experience, as you would be in any post-secondary program, unless and until you apply for advanced placement, showing prior knowledge/achievement.

The website still seems to imply Trainee levels A, B, C, according to placement on entry, based on level of skill. However, the program is actually (this year anyway) divided into year of entry (Year 1, Year 2, Year 3...), unless a student is bumped up a year because of attendance at a similar program elsewhere (done by application with supporting materials).  Dancers within each year might therefore vary in terms of skill, but the school believes this to be a valid teaching approach, and that dancers will receive the individual attention needed within each year, according to their potential.

Since the group of first years was rather large this fall, it was divided into two classes, according to age.   (Year 1-X, Year 1-Y).

Having said this, the school has a Concert Group that Trainees (from any year) are eligible to audition for in September.  The audition this year took place over several days, with a final day spent in class with existing Concert Group members. Cuts were made along the way, and the new members are either full members or apprentices, the only difference being (as far as we know at this point) that full members are likely to tour further afield than will the apprentices, due to cost.
Our understanding at this point is that the Concert Group is @ 30 dancers deemed ready to deal with the experience of rehearsals and performing in a company-like setting.  I am told that they still get taught (after all, these students are paying tuition like everyone else!) but that there are extra class hours, rehearsals and touring.. .

I know others have been disappointed in the program but we are trying to keep an open mind and DD is so far pleased with the level of instruction that she is getting.  Basics (posture, placement) are being revisited at this point   she reminds herself that there is always something to be learned.  And she loves New York!