• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 longtimecoming

longtimecoming

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

19yrs ago I was pre-professional at an almost apprentice level, dancing with Victor Moreno (Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo) and the Philadelphia Civic Ballet. I am just now thinking of getting back into ballet at age 32yrs.

Now all I hear is "RAD this" and "RAD that". What the heck is this all about? I get that it has something to do with teaching and the Royal Academy, but what is the deal with children taking these exams?

Can someone explain this process to me?

It amazes me when I see all the changes in dance. I remember when I had to special order my 3/4 shank Freeds (now practically standard), and I WISH there were Ouch Pouches! We used lambs wool and were jumping for joy when Second Skin was invented! Demi-pointe (not since pre-Pavlova!).......wow.

Thanks for the insight.

Edited by longtimecoming, 15 October 2008 - 05:30 AM.

#2 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Interests:Adult dance student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student & Performing Arts professor

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:38 AM

RAD stands for the Royal Academy of Dance. It's an examining body based in London, with a uniform progressive syllabus used throughout the world. It's not the only syllabus, and it's not used everywhere. It also has nothing to do with the Royal Ballet!

You can find out more here:
RAD website

There maybe a US subsidiary office as well.

#3 MJ

MJ

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Interests:uh, Ballet and Computer Security
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Performer, Occasional teacher, Company board member.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

RAD is like, TOTALLY hot. OMG!

Like really gnarly!

Do people pronounce it R-A-D or "rad" or "raid" something different?

I'm wondering when The Trust will come up with their own set of examinations for Muhriken ballet schools.

#4 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Ummm, not sure I understand most of your post, MJ (and I'm pretty good at the US variants on my native language!).

But the shortening for the Royal Academy of Dancing - RAD - is generally pronounced "Ar Ay [as in hay] Dee" ie spelling out the initials, as in CIA, or FBI, or USA, for that matter!

#5 Pasdetrois

Pasdetrois

Gold Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of dancers/lover of ballet

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

RAD exams have been in existence world wide for well over half a century. Those who passed the 'major' exams and thereby becoming official member's of the Academy received a booklet telling of who passed and at what level from the exams given world wide. I remember seeing results from the US, Australia as well as the UK and Canada. I'm sure there were other countries results but these are the ones I remember.

RAD is a system of training which to some may feel quite slow but the result is a dancer with solid technique. It develops the entire physical dancer from head to foot with port de bra being emphasized throughout from the first plie. It's not for everyone. The slow and steady approach using building blocks to perfect movement and develop ability, not learning pirouettes before retires are perfected, is not always what the recreational dancer wants. That said, it is a brilliant system for the serious dancer!

#6 Boots

Boots

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:ballet, modern dance, yoga (teacher), health, nutrition, injury prevention
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult student of ballet and modern

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

RAD is like, TOTALLY hot. OMG!

Like really gnarly!

Dude!

Hee hee! I have to admit, MJ, that I was thinking the same thing when I saw this post! :)
Tension is who you think you should be, relaxation is who you are.
My blog

#7 MJ

MJ

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Interests:uh, Ballet and Computer Security
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Performer, Occasional teacher, Company board member.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I must apologize (apologise?) to non-maerican speakers out there. "Rad" is valley girl speak.

"...Like gag me with a spoon, that is SOOOO Rad!"

#8 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,029 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

From the Urban Dictionary:
Rad- An abbreviation of 'radical'--a term made popular by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Still primarily used by people on the West Coast who find words like 'cool', 'awesome', and 'tight' to be tired and overused; 'rad' is generally considered to be a much higher praise than the aforementioned superlatives. Also used as a general expression of awe.
"Those are some rad shoes."

"Gag me with a spoon" was used when we were disgusted by someone or something. :shrug:

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#9 CDR

CDR

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher & mother of dancing daughter

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:02 AM

I'm in the UK and I know that meaning for RAD. :shrug:

#10 Spangled

Spangled

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:New beginner student

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'm about to start a beginners course at RAD in London, has anyone else here done that course? If so, what did you think?

#11 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,029 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Welcome to ballet Talk for Dancers, Spangled!! :lol:

I'm sure your fellow Brits will be on soon with some help. :blink:

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#12 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Spangled, welcome to the Adult Ballet students forum. I've done a bit of a search and come up with these threads where people have mentioned the RAD courses at Battersea. If you have further specific questions, you could start a new thread and I'm sure people will respond with their own experiences.

RAD Information

Adult Beginner -- Exams??

Dancing in London

Hello I'm new here

#13 Spangled

Spangled

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:New beginner student

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thank you very much! It seems there have been some positive comment anyway - and now I know to set off early because of traffic! I'll report back with my experiences after I've done a couple of classes. It was the small class sizes that appealed to me, I tried an open class at Central with Renato Peroni and whilst I could see that it would be good if you'd danced before, as a new beginner I felt worried that I could be injuring myself doing techniques completely wrong and it wouldn't get picked up on.

#14 Redbookish

Redbookish

Redbookish

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

I haven't done that class with Mr Paroni, but I have done both his beginners and advanced classes at other studios, and in my experience, he is very quick to pick up faults in technique. Extraordinary, in my case actually -- I find his classes are really really valuable. But if you're a complete beginner, you will probably find a structured, regular syllabus-based class is a good way to give you the basics in a systematic way.

#15 tantalus

tantalus

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult male avocational student

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Where can one (& preferably an adult avocational student) study RAD technique
in Battersea? I.e., what's the name of the school?