Dancewear shops in Montreal?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student, avid balletgoer, balletomane, producer-manager for a dance company

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hello,

I'm going to Montreal in couple of weeks (I'm attending the Performing Arts Market CINARS) and I thought that I should look for new pointe shoes as I know that they must sell different brands there than what they sell here. I thought I already found a good model and type of a shoe, but no. :wub:

I've tried Googleing, but haven't found that much about information regarding dancewear shops in Montreal, so I thought to ask if anyone here can give me some advice where to go and where would I find the widest selection of pointe shoes and if I need to book an appointment etc.

Thank you in advance! :shrug:

#2 dancemomCA

dancemomCA

Silver Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:sewing, dance, reading

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

:shrug: Try Rossetti of Montreal on 3923 St Denis - (514) 842-7337. I've only bought menswear for my son at their store, but they seem to have a great selection of pointe shoes and fitters as well.

#3 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student, avid balletgoer, balletomane, producer-manager for a dance company

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Wow, that was fast, thank you! :shrug:

#4 5-6-7-8

5-6-7-8

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

My dd has only been to Rossetti's, but there is another called Article Danz Etc. and is located at 920 rue Jean-Talon est. Sorry, I don't have any information on it.

#5 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

Ok, no probs, I will Google! Thanks. :shrug:

#6 whatsthepointe

whatsthepointe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Ballet (many schools, now NBS and DanceTeq), computer programming (certificate in computer programming), biochemistry (PhD in medical biochemistry), medical imaging (PET center)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult constant beginner

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

The only time I have been to Article Danz Etc they didn't have a fitter, but I am not sure whether it was just the wrong day of the month... Rossetti used to have a fitter available only on weekend days, so I went there on a Saturday morning. The shop was busy but I think I got enough attention.
I left Montreal three years ago so this information could be out of date.

#7 mtm

mtm

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Johnny Brown on 7300 rue Hutchinson at (514) 495-4002 may be worth a try.

#8 MJ

MJ

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:uh, Ballet and Computer Security
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, Performer, Occasional teacher, Company board member.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

According to Gaynor Minden's website, their shoes are only available at Johnny Brown. With a name like that, I'm assuming they speak English there.

#9 mtm

mtm

• PTA Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

According to Gaynor Minden's website, their shoes are only available at Johnny Brown. With a name like that, I'm assuming they speak English there.

It's been a while since I was there but last time I was, there was at least one fitter there who spoke English.

#10 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

Thanks! I can actually get GM here as well, but some other brands are those I'm looking for (like if they have Freeds or Gambas and similar). And I speak some French as well, so I try to survive... :yes:

#11 whatsthepointe

whatsthepointe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Ballet (many schools, now NBS and DanceTeq), computer programming (certificate in computer programming), biochemistry (PhD in medical biochemistry), medical imaging (PET center)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult constant beginner

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Johnny Brown has a website - they list Capezio, Freed, Bloch and GM.
Rossetti used to stock at least Bloch, Russian Pointe, Freed (tried at my fitting), and (I think) Repetto.

Good luck!

#12 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:28 AM

Wow, sounds good! I've never tried Freed, Russian Pointe or Repetto, and I bet they have wider selection of Bloch and Capezio than what we have here. *fingers crossed*

Thanks! :blink:

#13 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Just a bit updating that I went to Rossetti and they were REALLY nice and friendy, they mainly stock Bloch and Capezio, so I didn't find shoes there, but I can highly recommend them - the lady who was helping me was really helpful and nice. :wacko: Afterwards I went to Johnny Brown, and I couldn't find shoes there either (they mainly stock GMs) but also there I got friendly service. :innocent:

#14 dancemomCA

dancemomCA

Silver Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:sewing, dance, reading

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

Glad to hear you had positive and friendly experiences in Montreal. :D

#15 Jans

Jans

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I really enjoyed myself, although the weather was terribly cold. :D Everyone was really friendly, it was easy to walk around and somehow the atmosphere in the city reminded me of Finland and Finnish people. I would have wanted to stay longer, but I couldn't so I'll definitely return! At Rossetti they didn't have their fitter present at the time I was there, but I was given his name for the next time.