#1 12345

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of dancer

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

swanchat

Were students from the lower school in the dress rehearsal you mentioned? If so I am curious to what you thought of them? My dd goes next week to their summer school and while I am certain the level of dancer there is very high I am curious to what the year round students level is in your opinion? And if you know about white lodge (I know your dd is upper school) how many typically they take in each level for year round? Thinking of the future possibly...... (to be so lucky)

Thanks so much!

#2 swanchat

swanchat

Platinum Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

Yes, students from the lower school were in the dress rehearsal. All students perform in the grand defile and the performance is so well done and so joyful. There was another piece with lower school students although I'm not sure if all years or all students were in it but it was wonderful. I am only a mom, no prior knowledge of ballet, so I can only comment on how it looked over all but it seems that the level of skill is quite high and the student's ability to perform well is what made the day! Sorry, I have no knowledge of the details of White Lodge admission. The school is quite forthcoming; I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions when you are there for the summer program. Your dd will love White Lodge!! It's been refurbished and the grounds are so pretty. I hope you have a wonderful time in London.

#3 Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Guest_tipo'thetoes_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

My daughter is at White Lodge. I'm happy to respond to queries!

#4 12345

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi Tip o the toes

I am so glad you are here on BT4D! Somehow my dd was lucky enough to be selected for White Lodge summer school. She will be there beginning the 27th for the week. We were very pleasantly surprised that she was invited to attend. She is 12.

Can you tell me if they recruit for the year 2010-2011 during the summer school? From what I understand the fall of 2009-2010 has already been filled. Is this correct? I really have no idea if dd would be ready to attend at White Lodge year round even if she was fortunate enough to be asked to audition - both from a maturity standpoint and a technique one.

How many girls are in each year? Do they all live at White Lodge for the year round program or do any commute? Are most of the dancers from UK?

#5 Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hi there! Your daughter is my daughter's age. There are 13 children in my daughter's cohort. Two are Italian and the others are English. One of them commutes. Gailene Stock will come to watch a class at summer school and I understand that she sometimes does recruit children from there, but I think this is mainly children from abroad. My daughter was called back in to talk to Miss Stock when she went to summer school at 10 and they said they would like to have her in the school, but it wasn't recruitment as such. I expect your daughter will love the summer school and you will love the performance at the end of the week. Are you staying in the UK while she is at the summer school?

#6 balletbroke

balletbroke

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mum

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

My daughter is 10 and currently at WL summer school. She is loving every second of it and I know she will want to audition next year. What I am wondering (and have done for a long time) was how prepared the children are who get in. I know it is mainly for potential in Yr 7 but it seems to me that the children that I know of who got through to the final audition were already very accomplished dancers in quite a high grade and had been having regular private coaching for years. Apparantly my daughter has potential, but could she be overlooked by someone who has been 'Hothoused'?

#7 12345

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

balletbroke

My dd is going to WL summer school next week. Can you tell me if most of the girls wear black leos or colored? I know it says any color leo but black/navy for the performance at the end. DD is curious if most actually wear colors or stick with black during the week.

Also she is 12 so meets the 11+ age requirement for wearing tights. Do most of the 11+ wear tights? or opt for the anklets?

Please let us know what you think of the final performance. We fly out Friday and cant wait to see White Lodge!!

#8 balletbooster

balletbooster

Rubies Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

balletbroke, I think that the faculty at WL are very good at determining potential in dancers who have not had 'hot house' training. This age group is still young enough that they are more interested in body type and facility and a natural musicality than they are about strong technique, (which is going to be much more important going into the Upper School).

The process for applying for year round is a very deliberate one at White Lodge, beginning in the fall for dancers in the UK. The summer school gives the faculty a chance to know something about the dancers before they go through the formal auditions and many who audition, but are placed on a wait list, are asked to summer school the next summer, so that they can watch them some more and encourage them to try again the next fall, if a position does not open up for them in that year. (When my daughter attended, there were a number of girls there who fell into this category from the UK.) Simply being invited to attend the WL Summer School is considered by many to be a form of 'hot housing' for select dancers. There is also the associate program that you might look into. I'm not familiar with all the details, as we are from the US, but I believe that you can still get much of this information on the website and it was also sent in our info packet when my daughter attended, although that was several years ago.

I hope your daughter will enjoy the opportunity she has been given and make the most of it. It is a wonderful experience!

12345, when my daughter was there, the top level girls wore anklets for class each day and only wore tights for the performance. Could be different now, so maybe others will respond.

#9 balletbroke

balletbroke

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

balletbroke

My dd is going to WL summer school next week. Can you tell me if most of the girls wear black leos or colored? I know it says any color leo but black/navy for the performance at the end. DD is curious if most actually wear colors or stick with black during the week.

Also she is 12 so meets the 11+ age requirement for wearing tights. Do most of the 11+ wear tights? or opt for the anklets?

Please let us know what you think of the final performance. We fly out Friday and cant wait to see White Lodge!!

Having spoken to other Mum's before we went we were told everyone wears tights so that is all I packed even though she is only 10. But I haven't asked her what the others have actually worn. I mostly packed dark leotards, but a couple of more colourful ones but again we haven't discussed what the others are wearing.
To be honest all we have talked about is the standard of the european/japanese dancers. (We are from the UK). Apparantly they are amazingly flexible, toes touch floor when stretching feet and can do multiple pirohettes en pointe (age 9 and 10)!
(forgive spelling)

However she absolutely loves it and staff are wonderful and atmosphere amazing.

#10 balletbroke

balletbroke

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

Just texted her for an update- leotards mostly black, navy and red and they are wearing tights!

#11 12345

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the tights/leo update. Mine will be happy to know that. :thumbsup:

So glad your daughter is enjoying it. Does she plan to audition/attend for the next year round session?

#12 Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

Please do not think it is the end of the road if a dancer is assessed out from Royal Ballet School. There are several other well respected vocational ballet schools in UK and RBS will help a pupil who is leaving to find a suitable place to continue their training. One example, Loretta Summerscales went to English National Ballet School after White Lodge and was the only British national in the Prix de Lausanne this year. She has now been taken in English National Ballet company a year early, i.e. after her 2nd year of training.

Lauretta Summerscales didn't go to White Lodge. She trained at a non vocational ballet school.

#13 Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Guest_tipo'thetoes_*

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

My daughter is 10 and currently at WL summer school. She is loving every second of it and I know she will want to audition next year. What I am wondering (and have done for a long time) was how prepared the children are who get in. I know it is mainly for potential in Yr 7 but it seems to me that the children that I know of who got through to the final audition were already very accomplished dancers in quite a high grade and had been having regular private coaching for years. Apparantly my daughter has potential, but could she be overlooked by someone who has been 'Hothoused'?

I would say there are as many who haven't had much training as there are who have, but the majority have been JAs. Is your daughter a JA?

#14 Doubleturn

Doubleturn

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ex-dancer, teacher & parent

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Sorry, my mistake, Lauretta Somerscales trained at Susan Robinson's school in Byfleet - an excellent private school. However, it doesn't change the overall meaning of my post, dancers who are assessed out of RBS do not end their training, but go to other Vocational schools and follow a worthwhile career.

#15 balletbroke

balletbroke

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

I would say there are as many who haven't had much training as there are who have, but the majority have been JAs. Is your daughter a JA?
[/quote]

Hi, Yes she is a JA. I must admit it was very exciting when she got into JA's but now I can see that while most children who are at White lodge are JA's, only a few JA's make it to White Lodge. I wouldn't say so to her but actually getting into MA's is quite difficult and cant be taken for granted.

She already does a lot of ballet, at least 4 hours a week, which I think is plenty, but I know there are others doing a lot more!! At summer school she really noticed how much more technically advanced, stronger and more flexible some of the other girls were. She also felt they got more attention, but I have to admit I am a bit wary about taking a 10 year old's perceptions at face value.

I should try not to worry, this is a process that she wants to go through and I can't really control too much of it.