Ballet Motivation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 balletstar18

balletstar18

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 09:19 AM

I have been unhappy at my school pretty much all year (this is my 3rd year there), so in January I started auditioning for new schools, but the results were so slow that I've just now decided where I'm going next year. Now that I know, and there's only about a month of school left, I'm finding it next to impossible to concentrate in class. I'm so ready for my summer intensive and then a new school in the fall that I have no interest left for my classes here.
I know it's a bad idea to get out of shape before summer, and I know it would be best to keep steadily improving, but it's so hard for me to work here. My teachers are constantly angry with me, because they think I'm not trying. They encourage us to force turn out, especially in extensions to the side, which forces me to open my hips. My opinion on this is that it's more important to build up enough strength in the standing leg to be able to push it further to the side with correct alignment. My teachers were all trained in Russia, where they were taught that the only correct second position is with 180 degree turnout.
I would appreciate any advice for findint enough motivation to get through my last month here. I would just take open classes somewhere else, but I'm committed to two more performances. Thanks.

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 23 April 2002 - 09:26 AM

balletstar, I appreciate your position, however it's really a very short time. You've survived there this long, and right now you really don't have a choice because you are committed to performances. Work for yourself, and work your very best, with the purpose of being wonderful in the performances and in the best shape possible to begin your SI. Try to eliminate the negatives by focusing on the positives and putting your concentration on your own work and purposes. Agree with yourself to disagree with some of the things and just deal with them. It's only a month or so, and you can certainly do that and keep your motivation by putting the focus in the right place!

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 balletstar18

balletstar18

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 03:55 PM

Thanks! That's pretty much what I've been telling myself. I don't really know why but now that I know that I'm definatly not coming back it's so much harder :( I guess I just need to grin and bear it. Thanks again:D

#4 kitri81

kitri81

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:04 PM

My advice is just to hang in there and make the best of the situation. You can accomplish a lot just working for yourself and plus have you can have a great time performing since once you are on stage you are able to just dance for yourself and express your emotions to an audience. Most importantly try to keep from getting frustrated and keep positive!:(

I hope you enjoy your new studio.

Julie:)

#5 Guest_RussianSylphide_*

Guest_RussianSylphide_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:37 AM

Are you studying at Universal Ballet Acad?

#6 Guest_Mollieochie_*

Guest_Mollieochie_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:28 PM

I am not age 17-22, but I just wanted to say that I don't think forcing turn out is very good. My teacher used to do that, but my knees were not over my toes, so that led to knee problems.