20 replies to this topic

#1 Chronus24

Chronus24

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

I use Firefox, if that makes a difference. The problem I'm having is that when I'm typing in the post window (the one I'm writing in right now), the blinky-cursor doesn't show up, I can't highlight text I've written, I can't move the cursor back without backspacing whatever I've already written, AND Firefox's auto-spellcheck doesn't work. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? It's QUITE annoying, lol...

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,435 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

The board's software does not have spellcheck, but the other problems you are having have nothing to do with the board, so, it must be your browser. Try opening the board with Internet Explorer and see if that makes a difference. (There still won't be spell check, but that is probably a good thing because if we did have it, it would go nuts with all the French terminology! :) )

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 BalletMac

BalletMac

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

I believe that Firefox has a support forum. Maybe they could help?

#4 ami1436

ami1436

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Interests:All things ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher, student, fan, writer, always interested in pedagogy.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I'm on Firefox on a PC. The only thing not showing up for me is the Firefox spell check. Everything else works fine -- have you installed the latest Firefox update?

#5 Chronus24

Chronus24

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

oh well I knew the board doesn't have a spell-check, it's through FireFox. But I'll compare what happens with different browsers...oddly enough, when I "fast reply" at the bottom of a thread, everything works fine...it's only when I'm on the actual "add reply/make new topic" screen...weird :-P...

#6 dancepig

dancepig

dancepig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:Dance Student
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult dance student/ballet

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

What is your operating system? I use Firefox and have spell check, no problem when using it with Windows 7, it actually underlines words that it does not recognize in red, I right click and it gives me words that I might want to use instead. There is always a red line under pointe :) I did have to download additional software to get spell check on my OLD machine, it was Windows 98 (I upgraded last November - Yee Ha!). If you still can't get spell check, then just block copy into Word or some other word processing program, then block copy back.
♫ ♪ Take it to the Limit - One more Time ♫ ♪

#7 ballet valet

ballet valet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the Web, micromanaging my kids, tailoring, problem solving...searching for great coffee places!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a dancer, costume maker,

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Did the new website update add spell check? I do paste to Word to check mine but the extra step is kind of tedious in this age of technology. Is it a feature that is not in the software or just costly for you to activate?

#8 ami1436

ami1436

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Interests:All things ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher, student, fan, writer, always interested in pedagogy.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Mine automatically does spell check within the post. I use Google Chrome, not sure if that makes a difference. I checked preferences (in my browser) but didn't see anything there allowing for spell check, nor do I see a special feature included in the settings here... besides being a browser issue, I'm not sure what it could be.

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,435 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Evidently is has to do with the browser. I use Safari, and it does put the little red line under a misspelled word. Internet Explorer does not. :(

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#10 Hans

Hans

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Teacher, Former Dancer

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I also use Chrome, and it has spellcheck. I believe Firefox does, too.
"Forward toward Petipa!"
--Fyodor Lopukhov

#11 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Firefox does put the little red line under "misspelled" words :3dnod: ....unfortunately, I cannot seem to convince it that Canadian/British spelling is correct, and that "pointe" is a real word.... :glare:

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#12 dancepig

dancepig

dancepig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Very few computers, software, brains, etc. acknowledge pointe as a correctly spelled word. HOWEVER, if you're using Firefox, simply right click (or left click depending on your mouse) and hit "add to dictionary". You have the power.

#13 Hans

Hans

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Teacher, Former Dancer

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thank you for that tip, dancepig! It works in Chrome, too.
"Forward toward Petipa!"
--Fyodor Lopukhov

#14 dancepig

dancepig

dancepig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

You're quite welcome :clapping:

#15 ascballerina

ascballerina

Platinum Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Very few computers, software, brains, etc. acknowledge pointe as a correctly spelled word. HOWEVER, if you're using Firefox, simply right click (or left click depending on your mouse) and hit "add to dictionary". You have the power.

B) I have the power! Thanks!

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost