• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Hamorah

Hamorah

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:Performing arts, cinema, books, fine arts, but first and foremost my family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/teacher

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I would be very pleased if my students were to get 70+ for their IF!!!! Very well done! You must be at a very good school if the girls in your class all got Distinctions. Also, don't forget that you were only 5 points away from Distinction yourself, so that really is excellent result. There used to be a break down for all the marks and the reasoning criteria behind it all, but the new syllabus is marked differently, so it won't help you much to try and search for it on the RAD site. However, you could look for the breakdown of the technical details they're looking for. Alignment,co-ordination, weight placement, use of feet - it's endless! All the marks are out of 10, so the higher the mark the better obviously. Pass on the other hand is 4 out of 10 and in fact nowadays if you manage to reach 40, inspite of some marks being below 4, you still pass. How long did the girls work on the syllabus in your class and how many classes a week did they take? Just curious, because of the Distinctions. We usually work on the syllabus for about 6 months, twice a week 90 minute classes.

#17 Miss Persistent

Miss Persistent

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Turnout enthusiast!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Former pro-dancer, RAD teacher, eternal student

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

In scoring systems like the one apparently used, often the scorer forms an overall impression of your work and then that overall impression guides what the scorer puts down for the categories. It is very easy to read too much into scores like that.

I had to laugh at that last category, special consideration. We used to call things like that "brownie points,"

I understand that exams are part of the culture in RAD. They can act as something like merit badges to encourage people to continue. They can provide goals for students to attain. But outside of that and especially for adults, what do they really mean? To me, as an adult student (who spent his entire professional life in the standardized testing business) it is nothing.

Just to further clarify along with Hamorah's answer;

Special consideration marks are adjustment/additionally marks allowed for things such as if someone has submitted an injury or illness form, if a car crashes through your exam room, or the examiner has a heart attack and you have to retake your exam - the examiner can choose to award these as they feel appropriate, but special forms must be filled out and red tape jumped over - not very common.

All the technical categories are marked on 6 criteria;
- Correct Posture and Weight Placment
- Control
- Co-ordination
- Line
- Spacial awareness
- Dynamics
You are marked out of 10 in each category based on the above, so while is is an "overall feeling" mark, it isn't without a standardised basis. Music and performance categories have their own criteria, but similar ideas.

Some people feel exams are a waste of time and money, but I feel even for adults there are benefits apart from just having goals. An adult who wanted to become a teacher could pass a certain amount of exams to be eligible to enter the teacher training program for example - it all depends what you want. These days it seems you can start a whole new career at 40!

#18 danceprincess

danceprincess

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Lyrical, Jazz & Modern
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, student & teacher

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'm enjoying reading about your process as an adult dancer taking class with teenagers. That is where I am right now as well. Started in the adult classes and was given permission to take the advanced beginner classes with the teens. I'll say my official start date was in January but I'm already seeing progress. I'm not in my splits yet but I stretch everyday. I take 6 hours of class a week as well (4 hours ballet, 1 hour jazz and 1 hour african). I can only hold my legs at 45 degrees as well. I'm hoping that as I progress I'll start to see improvement in my extensions. This topic definitely gives me hope!

#19 pianolady

pianolady

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Parent of Ballet Student, and Ballet Accompanist

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

An update! I just had my Intermediate exam early december. I was pretty anxious about it, because it is a pass-fail level.
I really hope that I manage to pull it through. I was the first person ever to do new intermediate syllabus exam in my school. Will report back on results in the hopefully 2 months from now.

#20 Hamorah

Hamorah

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:Performing arts, cinema, books, fine arts, but first and foremost my family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/teacher

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

As I mentioned above - as long as your total marks are 40 or above you will pass the exam. Intermediate is the last of the exams where you can fail some sections and still pass the exam. I had a student who got a couple of 3's for it, but as the rest of the marks were good the total mark was a 67. So I think you should try not to be too tense for the next couple of months until you hear the result! And do let us know your mark, please!

#21 pianolady

pianolady

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Parent of Ballet Student, and Ballet Accompanist

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Hamorah! Will keep the thread updated.

You were asking (and I forgot to answer)

How long did the girls work on the syllabus in your class and how many classes a week did they take? Just curious, because of the Distinctions.

Typically one year because here in my country the exam only happens once a year. And the students takes at least four classes a week (each 90 minutes), and some even takes five classes. However, the intermediate syllabus class itself is once a week, the other classes are: free class, jazz, and higher grades syllabus (grade 6,7, or 8). The ones taking five classes are considered selected for "special class (pre-pro pathway)", and they are having one more free classes at higher level. Last year, I was the only one with "merit", the other five girls with distinction are all selected teens under the "special class".

#22 pianolady

pianolady

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Updates! Got the result of exams.. I thankfully passed, and more suprisingly, scored 78 (Distinction)! I got lucky, I guess.. Haven't received the detailed scoring though, will update once I got it..

#23 chocakety

chocakety

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Congrats on the distinction for Intermediate! :)

#24 Balletlove

Balletlove

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, stepmom of a dancer

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

WOW!!! Well done, well done, well done that is awesome :clapping:

#25 insidesoloist

insidesoloist

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:enthusiast, teacher, adult student

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Congratulations, pianolady. The "Distinction" is icing on the cake, isn't it? Well done. :)
-insidesoloist

#26 pianolady

pianolady

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Got the detailed score today. It's different system from the past syllabus. And my certificate is signed by Darcey Bussell! Here's the detailed score from the report:
  • Technique - Barre = 8
  • Technique - Port de Bras, Centre Practice and Pirouettes = 8
  • Technique - Adage = 8
  • Technique - Allegro = 8
  • Technique - Free Enchainement = 8
  • Technique - Point = 8
  • Music = 8
  • Performance = 8
  • Variation - Technique = 7
  • Variation - Music and Performance = 7
  • Special consideration mark = 0
Total = 78

PS I chose Variation 2 (modern / contemporary) for my exam.

#27 Scuballerina

Scuballerina

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Adult ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult ballet student

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

(The system in the school is a bit unique in that if I take one class I would pay more, whereas if I take three classes - 4x a week it's cheaper because I would be considered as member of the school). So in the interest of cost efficiency, last months I joined as member and took three classes: Inter-found, grade 7, and jazz, with total of 6 hours per week exercise (3 hrs inter-found, 1.5 hrs gr 7, 1.5 hrs jazz)!

hello, pianolady

I read in other thread that you are from JKT? if yes, would you mind sharing with me the name and possibly branch of your school?

I am also taking adult open class in the RAD school near Sudirman (if you know which I mean...), and contempkating to take also IF and graded class. So your story has really encouraged me.

congrats on your distinction in Intermediate. Are you taking Advance now?

Thanks, and glad to know there is another Jakartans on board.

#28 pianolady

pianolady

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Hello Scuballerina! I think we met today when I played piano for your class. Glad you find my writings in forum useful and let me know if you need to talk with me about being a mature students amongst teenagers.

#29 Scuballerina

Scuballerina

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Adult ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult ballet student

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Oh, thanks so much! Would love to have some chats with you, please....

btw just revisited this thread, and WOW at your score! It's really inspiring!

#30 appleblossom

appleblossom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Ballet Ballet and more Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, student, teacher, fan

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Please keep this thread going. I love reading your stories. (PS to answer your question about doind Adv 2 - YES you can) I just did Adv 1 and scored a Merit. Im now beginning my training for Adv 2. (Massive congratulations on your distinction in Intermediate)

Flexibility is my greatest hindrance too. I like Miss Persistance suggestions that muscles need more love when you try and work them more as I've been frustrated that I dance 6 days a week now but still cant get that last 3cm's down to the ground for my front splits, despite stretching every day.

Maybe we should form a flexibility club. :) Help give each other tips and keep accountable.

Take the shackles off my feet so I can dance
- MaryMary