8 replies to this topic

#1 pigtailgirl

pigtailgirl

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:professional

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I would just like some opinions:

I've been dancing professionally the past 3 years with a small contemporary ballet company and now a small classical company. The work is great but not consistent, so I work well for a few weeks and get in better shape, but can't sustain it when we're on break or doing smaller outreach performances. It's a bit of a cycle: I can't find more work because I'm not in shape and I'm not going to be able to get in the shape that I'd like unless I'm really dancing all day - the 1 1/2 hr. per day thing really isn't cutting it.

So this all got me thinking, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any programs in Europe or Canada or whatever (I don't really know of any in the US and I would also like to get out and experience something new) - ballet program, maybe some contemporary, just like an academy, however I am at the higher end of the age range, 21, so haven't been able to find anything to accommodate that. I haven't really been interested in any college courses, but if it's very dance based then I would definitely look into it. Only for a year or two to get going.

I hope this makes sense and that someone can help me! Thanks in advance
--kristen <3

"Dance is music made visible."
--George Balanchine

#2 lovemydancers

lovemydancers

Gold Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of professional dancer

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

Not endorsing this program as I know nothing about it first-hand, but a friend in a similar situation who is 20/21 is considering it:

American Academy of Dance in Paris

There is brief discussion of the school's summer intensive in the SI forum as well.

#3 vagansmom

vagansmom

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:dance of all kinds; education
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of professional dancer; musicality coach

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

There are programs in the USA that provide further training for dancers your age. The pre-professional school I know best that offers post-graduates intensive training is Nutmeg Ballet in Torrington, CT. If you look on the pre-professional board, you will find a thread full of suggestions for intensive training for the post-graduate student. I don't have time right now to look, but hopefully one of the moderators or a parent will point you towards that thread.

Nutmeg Ballet

Good luck!

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscar Wilde

#4 cheetah

cheetah

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of DS

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

I know I've seen reference to a conservatory type school in Switzerland, with the focus on contemporary dance. I tried searching and can't find it right now but will keep looking. For some reason I seem to recall it was in Basel or Bern. From what I could understand the first time I looked at the website it was a two year program post-high school (or post secondary - not sure what level the country goes to in school.)

#5 123enpointe321

123enpointe321

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Are you thinking of Rudra Bejart maybe? It sounds similar and Bejart starts with a B...

#6 KitriFan

KitriFan

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, dance, teaching...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dance student, aspiring dance teacher

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

There are quite many ballet courses in Germany which will accept older dancers over 20.

For example, the Ballettakademie Hans Vogl, or the Folkwang Universität der Künste both accept adults. Additionally, one of the best private contemporary school, called Iwanson International School of Contemporary Dance, also accepts people in your age range (plus the website can be viewed in English :thumbsup: )

There is also a fantastic resource where you can look into German schools, <http://www.dance-web.../ausbildg.htm>. This tells you the length and aim of each course/school, as well as a website. Unfortunately it's in German though... Hope this helps!!

#7 AADP

AADP

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, teaching, and enjoying the arts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:administrator

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

The American Academy of Dance is also a great option for American students looking to get fantastic training in France. AADP is growing quickly with over 700 students, a beautiful facility with 5 studios, and international faculty/students. The students range from 4 years old and go up to pre-professionals who are 21. As the first American ballet school in France, AADP aims to provide students with exceptional training in a positive and reinforcing environment. Feel free to ask any questions about AADP, or message me directly.

#8 shulie

shulie

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Actually most German academies accept people at 21. Even students much older, way up to 25 or 26 if you have had enough training beforehand and especially if you apply for a contemporary based program.

Look into:
http://www.hfmt-koel...ge/ba/tanz.html Musikhochschule Köln (contemp)

Palucca School Dresden (excellent! One of the best academies in Germany! They do both, contemp and classical, would fit your profile very well!) http://www.palucca.e...l/greeting.html

iwanson.de Iwanson Munich (contemp)

http://www.muho-mann...eberuns/Ballett Musikhochschule Mannheim (classical)

I really would not recommend most private schools in Germany (except Iwanson), the quality is not very high compared to one of the big state funded schools - regardless what they tell you.

Köln, Palucca and Iwanson do also offer excellent teacher training programs. Education in Germany is quite cheap (Iwanson costs more as it is private, however still nothing compared to the US) and there are plenty of performance and training opportunities in Köln and Munich. Palucca Dresden does have the advantage of really cheap living and flat rentals in addition to the state funded almost free dance program at one of the best academies in Germany. I`d look into that! Ballet academies in Germany are almost all run in English, as there are 90% foreign dancers studying there (including the teachers and ADs who are not German in most cases as well).

#9 xschizy

xschizy

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Wow, thank you so much for all this great information! I'm 20 and I've also been looking for a school where I could train and become peak shape for th next year or so before I start auditioning for companies. Will definitely look into all the schools you listed. Thank you!