• Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

A youtube video on making SAB skirts: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8bnV_nKuozM

#17 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

Whoa... youtube really is the gateway to the universe. Thanks so much, Chihiro!

#18 missvjc420

missvjc420

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:I really like to discuss many topics, from technique to classroom fashion, from kinetics to costumes. My passions are pointe shoes, and talking about dancers with non- traditional bodies.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:04 AM

I loom knit leg warmers, I have a red pair and one half of a baby blue pair so far. I have chiffon and grosgrain for skirts, but am waiting for a proper cutting table to work with such a slippery fabric. I have plans to use my looms for sweater parts this winter. Crafting and sewing are two of my hobbies.

I used to find the hardest part of sewing a skirt was cutting it out... the more perfect it is when you cut it out the easier it is to sew (I dont have an overlocker, so I use the rolled seam foot on my sewing machine to do the hem... it works veyr well particularly for short skirts where you dont really want the "frilly" look that you get when you pull the fabric while overlocking it)... what I found that works very well is to very carefully fold the fabric and pin it to the pattern with only just enough pins to hold the pattern in place... then use a cutting board (like the ones everyone uses for scrapbooking) and a rotary cutting blade (looks like a little tiny wheel attached to a yellow plastic handle which you just roll around the edge of the pattern). :thumbsup:

Thanks, that's what I figured. I have the cutting mat and rotary cutter, but I'm waiting for xmas to get a bona-fide cutting table. Right now I'm using a narrow low table that is not really workable for chiffons and silks. I'm getting a serger too, so I can experiment and see what I like.

#19 ami1436

ami1436

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:All things ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher, student, fan, writer, always interested in pedagogy.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'm so impressed with all of y'all's skills! I can sew by hand, and knit in a very basic way, and I used to crochet when I was MUCH younger... but sewing machines and sergers and cutting on the grain are so beyond me. I've seen images of some of the things some of you have made... I'm so impressed! I wish I could sew, especially as I'm so short, it would probably help with tailoring things to be my size. I have a stack of nice chiffon and georgette for skrits, with ribbons.... but never had a chance for my mom to teach me as we planned. I've inherited the sewing machine (which is a serger, I think, and with my dad)... yet the material sits there. Someday, I tell you, someday, I will learn!

#20 Guest_coupe66_*

Guest_coupe66_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

A youtube video on making SAB skirts: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8bnV_nKuozM

Thank you so much for passing this along!

#21 olgahk

olgahk

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult ballet student

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Can anyone suggest a wraparound warmup skit knitting pattern?

#22 Balletlove

Balletlove

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, stepmom of a dancer

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

I'm so impressed with all of y'all's skills! I can sew by hand, and knit in a very basic way, and I used to crochet when I was MUCH younger... but sewing machines and sergers and cutting on the grain are so beyond me. I've seen images of some of the things some of you have made... I'm so impressed! I wish I could sew, especially as I'm so short, it would probably help with tailoring things to be my size. I have a stack of nice chiffon and georgette for skrits, with ribbons.... but never had a chance for my mom to teach me as we planned. I've inherited the sewing machine (which is a serger, I think, and with my dad)... yet the material sits there. Someday, I tell you, someday, I will learn!

Hi ami1436!
Just go for it, I promise it is a LOT easier than you think... you can truly whip up a basic wrap around skirt in maximum of 1 hour... if you want some help on how to go about it in a step by step way, PM me and I will "talk" you through it. I really dont sew very well at all and I am not saying my skirts are amazing after a year or so they start to fray a bit and I toss them away but as the materials to make them cost me less than $5 it really doesnt matter.

#23 Marjolein

Marjolein

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Musical theater, sewing and knitting
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:musical theater student

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

I finally finished my legwarmers!!

#24 Balletlove

Balletlove

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

Hooray for you Marjolein!

#25 Balletlove

Balletlove

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

I made my first leotard last weekend!
I admit that I had our school's ballet wardrobe mistress helping me (giving me step by step instructions while she was doing her own sewing); but I did it, so chuffed with both myself and the end result :grinning:

#26 Marjolein

Marjolein

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Musical theater, sewing and knitting
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:musical theater student

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I just started sewing my new dance wardrobe for next schoolyear and I've started with a warmup suit made out of stretch velvet. The fabric cost met 9 euro, a bargain compared to the 50 euro warmups in the store. It's wonderfully soft and warm and very cute! The velvet makes for a very deep black. I just lengthened the top of a pajama pant pattern, slightly higher at the front and lower at the back. A little tunnel for elastic and a tie at waist height and the upper edge and done!

#27 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Dancing again every single day of my life and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Owner, Administrator and Director, Teacher's Assistant

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I just had my seamstress copy a leotard that I like and cannot find anymore. She did a really good job, so I think I am going to have all my dance wear made rather than import from another country (I live in Cambodia and dance wear is simply not available).

Edited by DaPixie, 29 April 2012 - 02:37 AM.