• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 olgahk

olgahk

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult ballet student

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Ladies, don't miss BCB's August performance (2 August, M Theatre).

Details:

http://www.thaiticke...il.php?sid=1358

I wish I could go!!!

#17 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Dancing again every single day of my life and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Owner, Administrator and Director, Teacher's Assistant

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

:-(
I can't believe I'll have to miss it. I'll be in Bangkok for a whole week to train at BCB, but I'll be leaving on the 28th of July.

#18 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Dancing again every single day of my life and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Owner, Administrator and Director, Teacher's Assistant

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I just had Misha's class. As nice as in May and I liked it, but apparently most of the students don't like his classes much. He is only here for two more weeks. Then, Stephen will be back by popular demand.

Ms Masako taught yesterday's class. I received a lot of attention, individual instruction and corrections from her, so I really liked her class too.
Can't wait to see how the next few classes bed teachers are going to be.

#19 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Misha who?

#20 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

Misha Bart

#21 aforest

aforest

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Ballet. Jazz. Modern. Hip hop. Breakdance. Dance scenes around the world.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of a dancer.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Has any of you danced in Singapore? I'm trying to find out the calibre of Asian, specifically, Singaporean ballet programs for my daughter.

#22 olgahk

olgahk

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult ballet student

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Has any of you danced in Singapore? I'm trying to find out the calibre of Asian, specifically, Singaporean ballet programs for my daughter.

There is a Singapore Adult Ballet group on the Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411124380/

#23 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

I had a great class with Stephen Beagley this morning at BCB. If any of you get the chance to take one of his class, don't pass up on it. He's a good teacher. Even though this was a very full open class with many company members, he didn't just focus his attention on them and he still took time to offer individual corrections and advice to mere mortals like myself where needed. Stephen Beagley is at BCB until June of 2013.

#24 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Eeek! Three different dance schools in Thailand in the course of a week with a fellow Ballet Talk member. Let's see what happens to this tired, broken, and dance-impaired body! Updates soon everyone! I'm so excited to be able to take a real and formal dance class once again. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm so worried I'll be out of it.

#25 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

LaFilleSylphide and I are having a fabulous time dancing together in Bangkok. :)

#26 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Can't say enough good things about the open classes given by Mr. Beagley. I hope that adult dancers dropping by Bangkok are able to visit the open classes there. In the basic ballet classes, they started out with a very intense conditioning warm up that was a combination of stretch and strengthen, as well as a few scattered pilates based exercises - very nice except I've become unaccustomed to the burn of conditioning. Even when I danced regularly, I was always a "chicken" when it came to conditioning. Perhaps I'm just lazy.

Had some other not so positive classes with DaPixie at other schools, and also a lovely class at some studio (I can't recall the name). It was rather strange and small space. The actual studio itself was square with wood floor, and while the space itself was a square studio, it seemed like it was just that... a single studio space floating independently in the middle of nowhere with a sliding glass door entrance and a partition of the studio glass-doored off so it could be dedicated to the lobby/office/dressing cubicles/all general usage room. It was odd!

The teachers at both studios were very adept at giving open class to all levels of dancers, adjusting and modifying exercises without making any dancers feel neglected. Most of all, it was nice that when exercises were being customized, it didn't feel like time was being wasted. Advanced students weren't annoyed by the less experienced dancers having modified steps, and beginning dancers did not feel awkward or annoyed that advanced dancers were being given complicated movement sequences.

The other school, however, I had such a negative experience... but I'm unsure if it's kosher to write something leaning towards negative (very).

#27 tigger

tigger

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet student (recreational)

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hi everyone! I am in Bangkok and hoping to take a class or two. The Bangkok city ballet website is under renovation so I'm wondering if anyone knows when they typically have classes? I emailed but haven't heard back yet. I'll be here until Friday then heading to hk next week if anyone has recommendations there as well. Thanks!

#28 DaPixie

DaPixie

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi Tigger,

I am not in Bangkok, but I can assure you they have classes at BCB every morning at 9am. They haven't updated their website in years. Tomoroow morning (Tuesday) Stephen Beagley (ex principal Royal Ballet) will be teaching class). On Wednesday it's Ms Kaori teaching. She now teaches a variation at the end of every class, which is really fun. She teaches one variation per month - the same one for 4 consecutive Wednesdays. Last time I was there we learned the Princess Florine variation. :)

Mr Fiat (principal dancer at BCB) teaches a beginner's class, but it's very good. He is not only a good dancer, but a very good teacher as well.

The cost per class is THB 500. There is also a one time registration fee of THB 500.
Classes are 1.5 hours long, but Ms Kaori and Mr Fiat always end up teaching for almost 2 hours.

I hope this helps.

Tell them you got the info from Pixie / Devi of Central School of Ballet Phnom Penh and they'll be extra attentive to you ;)

#29 tigger

tigger

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:ballet student (recreational)

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Thanks so much DaPixie! I will try to make it to the Weds or Thurs class. I don't know how anyone functions in this heat, though!

#30 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

It's difficult, to say the least. There's no functioning A/C in class there either... I mean the teacher turns it on, but you can only really feel a hot breeze coming from it every once in a while. I think it's actually an oscillating fan disguised to look like an air conditioning unit. Be prepared for the heat, btw. Bring your water bottle and bring a towel for occasional sweat mop-up that you can hang on the struts of the barre. I needed it constantly.