4 replies to this topic

#1 dascmom

dascmom

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:ballet. tap, contemporary dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I wondered if anyone has a list of professional Modern/Contemporary dance companies whose female dancers only dance in flat slippers or bare feet but not on pointe at all? I've been trying to research this subject and I can see that it is going to be quite a large project and I hoped that somebody might have some knowledge on this. Thanks everybody!

#2 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Not a definitive answer for you, but Modern companies in general will not do pointe work. Contemporary ballet companies for the most part would but could also perform sans pointe shoes. Exceptions will exist, those are just general parameters.
Balance in everything ballet!

#3 gingerly

gingerly

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

There are many, many modern companies that do not ever use pointe shoes in their rep. Off the top of my head: Mark Morris Dance Group, Merce Cunningham Dance Company, Pina Bausch's Tanztheatre (for the most part), Stephen Petronio Company, Martha Graham Dance Company, etc.

If you're looking for more balletic companies that don't do pointe work, that's a little more difficult to find. Introdans, in the Netherlands, doesn't seem to do pointe work, but that's just what I got from looking at their website. Same with Batsheva Dance Company. I'd suggest looking around company websites, or checking out performance venues like the Joyce/BAM/Sadler Wells for possibilities.

Good Luck! It's an interesting question, sorry I couldn't help more.

#4 dascmom

dascmom

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:ballet. tap, contemporary dance
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Believe me, gingerly, you helped!! I'll take a look at some of those companies you suggested.

#5 vagansmom

vagansmom

Sapphire Circle

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:dance of all kinds; "Kind and firm in equal doses" education
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of professional dancer; musicality coach

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sadly, don't bother to check out Merce Cunningham. The company is now closed. Merce died in 2009; the company did a 2-year tour and closed their doors at the end of 2011.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscar Wilde