42 replies to this topic

#16 jphoenix

jphoenix

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, teacher, costumer, parent

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

No. No underpants. Just like tights are the underwear for girls the dancebelt is the underwear for boys.

#17 anro

anro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:ballet.
    Have a 12 y old boy, 10 y old girl and an 8 y old girl practicing ballet.
    The 10 y old girl is student (4th grade) at the Royal Swedish Ballet school. The boy will try in for 7th grade for next year.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mother of three ballet kids

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

While I am not a parent of a boy... I am a male ballet dancer <smile>.

The dancebelt goes on first, then the leotard over the dancebelt. Everything will fit where it needs to - leotards & dancebelts are not super thick pieces of fabric (such as denim)... there will be a little more material than before, but nothing to worry about.

You have the dancebelt (with thong) as a first layer and then the leotard (with thong). Do you also have underpants as layer zero?

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

No, the dance belt is the very bottom (zero) layer.
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#19 abbey

abbey

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:supporting my young ballerino and ballerina
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent, former dancer

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I just saw a combined white leo plus nude dance belt. I believe it's made by WearMoi and I saw it at Boys Dance Too (though maybe it's available elsewhere). I plan to order one for ds next week and see how he likes it. There are boys' and men's sizes.

#20 jamied

jamied

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother of a male dancer

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I looked at the combination shirt/dance belt. My son tends to wear out the shirts twice as fast as the dance belts, so I am going to keep buying them separately. It does look interesting though.

#21 Zeona

Zeona

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Dancing, Outdoors
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a Ballet Boy

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for your information about the leotards and dance belts. My son has been wearing full seated dance belts but these have recently become less comfortable, I think because his glutes are so well developed and the full seat dance belt isn't cut for that, so he has moved on to thong dance belts and says these are more comfortable now. I have suggested that maybe it is time to give the thong leotards a try but he won't have that at the moment so I got him to read your post as a little food for thought.

#22 Dawcett

Dawcett

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:My kids
    Medicine
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of teen boy dancer

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

As far as cleaning them goes ... I just toss my DS stuff in wash. Warm water delicate cycle then line dry. Them seem to last and come out clean.

#23 chel

chel

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:parent of male dancer
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of male dancer

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Abbey, How did the combination work out? I'd debating ordering one for my son but wanted to read a review first.

Edited by chel, 03 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#24 WendyWins

WendyWins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Discussing info about male dancers,... training, dancewear, ect...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of a male dancer/gymnast

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Anro- The dance belt serves as the undergarment.  It's just a special dancer's undergarment :) 

Therese- My son was a gymnast gone dancer for his whole, so he's had to wear dance belts and leotards since he was in elementary school and he hates layering them. But then we finally found a leotard with an attached dance belt at "boys dance too".  It is the best!  I strongly suggest you check them out... www.boysdancetoo.com

#25 dinkalina

dinkalina

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:My kids are dancers.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mom of dancers

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

My son wore the full seat dance belts until he was 14.  We didn't know any better honestly!  He's had a female teacher all these years and she wasn't about to say "About that dance belt....".  He went off to his first big summer intensive last year and was the ONLY boy there who didn't have the thong style.   His favorite guy instructor pulled him aside towards the end of the intensive and said "Look buddy, you are a serious dancer now, you need to lose the mono-butt look and get yourself a thong style dance belt".   From then on he was all about the thong paired with the "right tights" that do that "thing in the hiney area mom".  Let me tell ya, the difference the thong style makes to the line appearance is drastic.  He loves his dance clothes so much now, it is a struggle to get him out of them when he gets home.   He prefers the padded dance belts to the quilted ones, he has just nude colored ones, and he likes the Sansha Sawyer signature tights that come with the suspenders already on them.   Both the dance belts and the tights hold up well in the wash.  He even puts them all in the dryer when he's away in the summer but we line dry them when he's home. 

#26 Moxie

Moxie

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Mom of boy dancers

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

I do wish more teachers would approach the boys about attire.  There is a 17 yr old at the intensive who is wearing full seat DB.  Since my boys felt weird about saying something to him for fear of embarrassing him I sent his mom an email just saying my guys liked such and such brand in hopes of him realizing at this age he should be probably be wearing a thong.  He's from a Dolly Dinkle studio and I felt bad for him.  As a non dancing mom I certainly didn't know anything and years ago my boys had a teacher who plainly stated facts which was great.

My middle son started at 7 and had a custom dance belt at 8 since none were small enough for him.  I have to take in adult ones for him at 13 since he's so slim because little boy ones don't fit in the proper area!  I'm glad I can actually buy little boy thongs now.  I think the younger they wear a thong the better so they are used to them.

#27 Redgemini

Redgemini

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Learning as much as possible about ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent/son dances

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Can I ask a dumb new dance mom question? What age is customary to start with the dance belt? My son is 6.5 years old. So far he's wearing Theatricals white child leotards and black American Apparel leggings or black stretch shorts (technically girls, from Target). Thanks!

#28 Thyme

Thyme

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:parent of dancing boy and extremely late starting student!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent and adult student

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

I suspect dance belts make their appearance at a range of ages but DS started when he was about 12. Aside from the appearance they create, all dance belts improve the support the boys receive 'up front'. My advice has been that this becomes more important as they hit puberty for obvious reasons and also when they start on pas de deux classes. Partnering puts them at increased risks of accidental bumps plus they are doing more jumping and leaping. That is our experience anyways.  Putting them on correctly is a whole other topic which can be easily researched online. http://www.dancebelt.info/

#29 pasdedeuxmama

pasdedeuxmama

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Ballet and parenting...often at the same time
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer (long ago) and Parent

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I know people often say 12 or when puberty starts, but as the parent of a boy and a girl, I'd recommend about 9/4th grade. The boys might not notice or be uncomfortable, but you'd better believe the girls are noticing and commenting on what they see at that age. Only if they wear tights or bike shorts.

#30 HuckleberryDawg

HuckleberryDawg

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, sewing, reading, anything my kids are up to
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thank you, pasdedeuxmama.  DS is 9/going into 4th grade and it would never have occurred to me to see it from that angle!