#1 Mazenderan

Mazenderan

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

Post your moans and frustrations here.

Class actually went quite well for me this week - but when I woke up this next morning I had a strained adductor muscle.

#2 Badgertoes

Badgertoes

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, ballet, stretching
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I just started the next semester of dance classes and I am not seeing any improvement. Mostly because for some reason I can't get choreography quickly enough. And I definitely need to take classes in a more professional setting. These classes are held in such a way that you really don't improve. Really frustrating, but hopefully when I can afford it, I'll find a real studio.

#3 Mazenderan

Mazenderan

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sometimes, my combination of height and flexibility makes everything look comedic.

#4 brie

brie

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, contemporary, jazz, teaching, literature, travel, photography, blogging
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher and student

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Sore muscles from getting back into pointe in a serious way. Man adv. 1 pointe makes the calves burn. Also pas marche en pointe is so confusing! On flat - no problem. En pointe - so not working!

#5 BlleFille

BlleFille

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, painting, hiking, dogs
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult student

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

I look pear shaped in the mirrors at ballet class :(
I am slim and fit but defintely a pear all the same...I wish I was more even :(

#6 Daydreamer

Daydreamer

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't usually post, but February has been a bit difficult after a January that was quite good (noticeable increase in strength, great new class, and more). I finally stopped taking a class that wasn't good (technique-wise) for me; while it is good that I finally took this decision, it does mean I cut my classes to only four per week. Despite the lower class load, I've been suffering from burnout, as well, and I'm not quite sure how to handle it. Hopefully, March will be better!

(null)

#7 kylara7

kylara7

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

My work-related situation/stress is taking more energy and focus than is acceptable...and it's leaving me spent and flat for my evening ballet classes. Weekend classes are much better as a) they are in the morning, and B) I haven't had my mental and emotional energy drained by a long and frustrating work day. In the long term, I need to make employment changes but in the short term I need to find a way to cope and pay the bills while plotting my escape. It is telling to notice how this is all written on the body. Meanwhile, ballet as therapy! :/

#8 TemptressToo

TemptressToo

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Tombe, pas de bourree, glissade, asemble...
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student, Dance Addict

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I've been crazy busy lately and have missed this board. News in my world, I have moved to Dothan, AL...and am now a student at Dothan School of Dance.

The unfortunate part is that there are no adult ballet classes...so....I'm in the advanced/intermediate class with a bunch of 14-16 year olds. How does that go??? Um... last year on America's Got Talent,...Beth Ann Robinson, she's in my class. And I think all of the kids can IN COMBINATION do a double pirouette, triple fouette, double pirouette. They just turn and turn and turn...with me bumbling along barely making a single pirouette. Le sigh... I do so enjoy the barre portion, it is challenging, but I'm hopeless in centre. Half the time, I just skip the centre combinations entirely, choosing instead to quietly mark it in the corner. When I attempt the combinations, I'm usually in the way of other dancers because we go in pairs and trios and everything is FAST. I definitely remember this feeling though, from when I moved from beginner adult ballet to more advanced. I try and remember that I'm doing this because I love to learn, it is a great workout, and I WANT to...it is just hard to want to some times when you feel like crying.

And...Baby T2 is now in a baby ballet class. She does so good considering my schedule only permits us time to make the Creative Movement 2 class (she really should be in CM1, but it is too early in the day for me to make after work). She participates really well though and is learning a dance for the recital in a few months. I'll probably keep her in CM2 for two years so she has the time she needs for those basics.

#9 Badgertoes

Badgertoes

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, ballet, stretching
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

When we have to do rond de jombe en l'air on releve, my supporting leg doesn't stay turned out. It sort of just moves with my entire body while trying to work the other leg around. Yikes. Also, I am having a lot of trouble staying at full height on demi pointe. Arg!

#10 DancinMomof2

DancinMomof2

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, adult student, mom of dancers

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Frustrated with last night's pointe class - I was fine up until we started doing combinations across the floor and I just felt completely hopeless because I just couldn't do parts of those last couple of combinations ("lame duck" turns and fouettes) en pointe. I think it was more due to my complete lack of confidence than anything else but I was just feeling so pathetic. I was beginning to think maybe I should just give up and hang up my pointe shoes.

It's tough sometimes because I only have access to this one pointe class (due to my work schedule) unless I do barre en pointe in one of my other technique classes. I'm not expecting greatness, but I take this pointe class because it's (usually) fun and I did miss it from when I danced en pointe during my teen years (which I will admit wasn't great training at all compared to what I have now). I suppose I need to remind myself just how far I have come in the last year...

#11 Mousling

Mousling

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Administrator-Professional Ballet Co. / Parent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Sorry I removed my post - not an adult student.

Edited by Mousling, 24 February 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#12 missvjc420

missvjc420

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:I really like to discuss many topics, from technique to classroom fashion, from kinetics to costumes. My passions are pointe shoes, and talking about dancers with non- traditional bodies.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

After finally having my quad pirouette coming along nicely, along with my beats, It turns out that I somehow developed Achilles Tenosynovitis. It's a surprise, as I have absolutely not been overworking. In fact, I take two classes a week, sometimes a third class or a yoga class. Apparently, it has something to do with not assimilating enough nutrients because I either make too much or not enough stomach acid. It makes my calf muscles tight & crampy and pulls on the tendon, aggravating the sheath. It's at least two weeks of no activity for me, including prolonged standing. I'll be over here on the couch with my glass of Pinot Noir should any of you care to join me.

#13 ami1436

ami1436

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Interests:All things ballet.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:teacher, student, fan, writer, always interested in pedagogy.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

So sorry to hear! I have acid issues too, and have to be extra careful about stretching out my calves. Kind of a weird way for everything to be related, eh?

#14 missvjc420

missvjc420

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:I really like to discuss many topics, from technique to classroom fashion, from kinetics to costumes. My passions are pointe shoes, and talking about dancers with non- traditional bodies.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Yes, definitely a weird relationship between body parts & processes. I can't wait until this is figured out & dealt with. I have never in all of my years of dancing had Achilles tendon issues. It makes me feel my age!

#15 Marjolein

Marjolein

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Musical theater, sewing and knitting
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:musical theater student

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I went sort of overboard (okay way overboard) in training for my drama school auditions, so now my osteopath has ordered me to give my body a 2 week rest (at least!). I've been training intensively since July without a break, combining with a full time job teaching and intensive singing and acting lessons. So no classes for me for a little while :-( But knowing that ballet will be part of my full time MT training next year eases the pain a bit. Once my osteopath cleares me to dance again, I'm going to start off with a Pilates class instead of the tons of dance classes I did. What I need now is proper strength training and not necesarily technique classes.