• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elbamash

elbamash

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent of a dancer

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Momof3darlings, do you have any knowledge on ballet schools recruiting only one student from a training school? We have been told colleges will not accept more than one dancer from a school. This seems like nonsense, but any experience on this is appreciated.
Thanks

#2 dancemaven

dancemaven

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,575 posts
  • Interests:Ballet parent
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:parent

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

That's nonsense. Of course, depending on how large the program is and how many dancers audition, plus all the other considerations that go into building a class, it is possible that multiple dancers from that same school or company may not get in any given year.

#3 mom2

mom2

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

I really don't know anything about University dance programs as my dd did not take this route, but I suspect that the number of "actively recruited" dancers from a particular school may be different from "dancers accepted from" that school.

#4 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • 11,690 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I agree with mom2, the "actively recruited" might be more where that comes from. I have no authentic knowledge, however, I could easily see when it comes to scholarship dollars that they may say only one scholarship per audition or per visit, etc. I will say from round-a-bout knowledge of actual dancers we know that attended: The year DD graduated from high school 3 students from her program gained entrance to Butler , 1 with scholarship, 2 attended. The same year from a sister school of DD's 3 students were admitted to IU, 2 attended, 1 with scholarship. I call it a sister school because the owners were relatives and the students went to each other's SIs over the summer. Use that information as you will for guessing if what you've heard is true, because that's all it will be, a guess.
Balance in everything ballet!

#5 alligator

alligator

• Parents of Professional Dancers
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Parent of Professional Dancer

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

At least 2-3 dancers from my DD's pre-pro residency were accepted to IU this year and last year with scholarships. :) Good luck!!

#6 glissade_jete

glissade_jete

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Professional Ballet Dancer/Dance Teacher

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

My graduating class at OU actually had four freshman enter from the same ballet school with varying levels of scholarship.

#7 Taradriver

Taradriver

Sapphire Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:DD mom, women's health nurse

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Momof3darlings, do you have any knowledge on ballet schools recruiting only one student from a training school? We have been told colleges will not accept more than one dancer from a school. This seems like nonsense, but any experience on this is appreciated.
Thanks

Not true, in my experience (TCU). DD and another dancer in the program were from the same pre-pro.
Medical Moderator
SI Housekeeper

#8 Momof3darlings

Momof3darlings

Diamonds Circle

• Administrators
  • 11,690 posts
  • Interests:Parent of professional dancer and tutumaker
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet fan, Costumer, Mom of dancers

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Well, I guess we've busted another Urban Ballet Myth around here. I hope you're still going to the audition!!!!!
Balance in everything ballet!