Ballets

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beatlefeet63

Beatlefeet63

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Friends, family, babysitting, playing piano. Reading!! And of course, Ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer, student

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I honestly have never seen or watched a Ballet , a professional done one at least. And I really want to watch one but cannot find where to watch one online or anything.
Does anyone know where I might be able watch one?

"Let them praise His name with the dance;
Let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp."

Psalms 149:3

#2 ascballerina

ascballerina

Gold Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact, there are full-length ballets on YouTube. They are extremely hard to find, though. When I stumbled on the first one, I was only able to find others by clicking on the little "suggestions" on the right and sort of going from video to video until I found the ballet I wanted on the side to click on. I'm sure there's a combination of keywords that allow you to find these via the search bar, but I haven't found it yet. :P

Here's a link to get you started-my personal favourite ballet at the moment: Bayadere-Royal Ballet, 1991 :D

Your library may also have some videos, and Ballet in Cinema also has ballets that you can go see at your local movie theatre that are streamed live.

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#3 gasguzzler

gasguzzler

Bronze Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:summer intensives, schools, ballet, contemporary, modern
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:mother

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for that info. I didn't think utube could post anything that long.

#4 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,828 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Beatlefeet63, time to ask your parents to take you to the theatre!!! There is really nothing like the experience of seeing ballet live!

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#5 Beatlefeet63

Beatlefeet63

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Friends, family, babysitting, playing piano. Reading!! And of course, Ballet

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thank you ascballerina!! I will definitely look into those :)
@Clara 76 I have recently asked my parents to take me. Ballet Austin is performing Romeo & Juliet in May, so I have asked for tickets to go for my birthday (as it is this weekend! Yay! :P ) so definitely hoping to go :D

#6 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,828 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Wonderful, Beatlefeet63!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am crossing my fingers for you!

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis

#7 ascballerina

ascballerina

Gold Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I hope you're able to go! What a wonderful opportunity. Happy Birthday, too!

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#8 Beatlefeet63

Beatlefeet63

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thank you!! :)

#9 gingerly

gingerly

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I agree there is nothing quite like seeing live dance, but failing that, I've found that Vimeo is a really great resource for ballet clips. The quality tends to be better than youtube, and they have an interesting selection of more contemporary work as well.

#10 Beatlefeet63

Beatlefeet63

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I will have to check that out! Thank you :)

#11 FouettesforLife2000

FouettesforLife2000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:BALLET!!!!!!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Youtube has some great video clips of ballets and ballet movies.... netflix has the nutcracker and the local library has a large selection.... i am a ballet frezk.. always doing ballet so i know how you feel... :)

#12 ashenpashen

ashenpashen

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Latin dance, Flamenco, Tap
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student, dancer, fan, avid balletgoer

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

On YouTube, I have been able to find full-length versions of many classics by several different companies, such as: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia, Don Quixote, Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet, Cinderella, The Nutcracker, La Bayadère, Raymonda, La Sylphide, The Firebird, Paquita, and La Fille Mal Gardée.

I have the links saved if you want me to pass you the link to any one in particular!

I never thought of checking Vimeo! That's a great idea, thanks, gingerly!