11 replies to this topic

#1 luvrofballet

luvrofballet

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:every kind of dance, mostly ballet
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

What kind of stretching should I do to get the splits faster? Can anyone maybe give me a stretching schedule on what stretches to do and how long to hold them for? I really want to get the splits down soon because it would really improve my ballet. Thank you so much! :D

Yours truly,

Luvrofballet

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,076 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

First of all, getting anything faster in ballet is not going to happen. It is a long and slow process. Secondly, "getting" splits is not what it's all about at all. Splits ARE a stretch. That is why you do them. It's about the stretching, not about getting them down. It is extreme flexibility stretching and needs to be done when you are FULLY warmed up from a complete barre, at least, if not a complete class. Doing them without warming up first is not smart, and invites injury.

There are no rules on how long to hold them. I really don't think that staying a long time is that important. Just do them as correctly as possible, with knees totally straight and legs turned out and feet pointed, hold briefly, like a few seconds, and that is fine.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 shadow588

shadow588

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer/Student

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Well, from personal experience, splits are not a huge deal. I know when you're younger it's the rage to be able to do the splits and show off, but really it's a stretch. Even now as I comfortably have the splits on both sides, usually straight from cold if needed, if I'm sore sometimes I am unable to do them unless I stretch a lot beforehand. I am working on my middles, but only because in a la seconde, my hips are extremely erm....nonflexible..... so I use that to loosen them up. So basically, now that I'm back from that small dissertation, it's not very important to get the splits, while it may seem cool, it's really just to stretch.

If you're going to try to get them I advise pigeon pose and king pigeon from yoga. That's what helped me as my hips in all ways are fairly nonflexible and that really helped me with my hip flexibility and loosening up. Then it was fairly easy to go to a split. Oh, and if you're going to stretch, knees straight, legs turned out and point (pointe xD) your feet. Erm I like to do 30 seconds a side or however long you can hold it, and try to go a tad lower for the last 5 seconds or so. Oh and for middles, sit in a straddle against a wall and then push yourself against the wall. This is helpful because you can control your split stretch and still have something to push against to stretch against. We do a minute and a half minimum per side in jazz, and 3 minutes in the center for Middle Splits in three positions. But this is a higher level class. Go easy at first, then work up.

Welp, that was my dissertation, I hope it helps.

Oh and expect for them to take up to two months or more. I got mine in under a month, probably 3 weeks, but I was too lazy to stretch outside of class, so only 4x a week for me xD

Oh and DEFINITELY ALWAYS BE WARM. You don't want to stretch cold and get an injury.

Edited by shadow588, 17 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#4 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,076 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Shadow, I know you are new to Ballet Talk for Dancers, but I need to ask you to read our Policies and Rules, especially those on this forum. Young Dancers do not give advice here. You may relate your own personal experiences, but do not phrase anything in the terms of advice. That is what the teacher moderators are here for. And read the posts before, as some of your information I had already posted.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#5 gavotteindmajor

gavotteindmajor

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

May I bring up another question? How do we feel about over-splits here on BT4D? Should a dancer just stick with their normal 180 splits or stretch past it if they are flexible enough and need more of a stretch?
"Common sense would tell parents never to send their children to a ballet school. Common sense would tell teenagers that there is wider and happier world beyond the grueling strictures of daily barre and class. Common sense would tell the graduating student that there are infinitely superior ways of making money than joining a professional ballet company.

Yet... there remains the dance and the dancer."

- Author Unknown

#6 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,076 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Oversplits are unnecessary and, IMO, stupid. Enough said.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#7 gavotteindmajor

gavotteindmajor

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks!
"Common sense would tell parents never to send their children to a ballet school. Common sense would tell teenagers that there is wider and happier world beyond the grueling strictures of daily barre and class. Common sense would tell the graduating student that there are infinitely superior ways of making money than joining a professional ballet company.

- Author Unknown

#8 gavotteindmajor

gavotteindmajor

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well, I know you said "enough said" (sorry), but are over splits dangerous, or just not aesthetically pleasing and stupid?

- Author Unknown

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31,076 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Dangerous.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Ballet Master

• 23,220 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, history, music, art, fine wines, roses, things that go BOOM!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

AND not æsthetically pleasing and stupid. I used to think that they were a good idea, but I began looking at what some professional dancers started to look like after they started doing oversplits. Then I visited one or two people in the hospital from stresses caused by oversplits. That's when I changed my mind.
Mr. Johnson
Ballet Talk for Dancers Ballet Master.

#11 gavotteindmajor

gavotteindmajor

• Teens
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ah. I just watched a trailer of First Position, and seeing Michaela DePrince being stretched to an almost 270 degree angle certainly was not aestethically pleasing :ermm:

- Author Unknown

#12 Clara 76

Clara 76

Diamonds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • 15,824 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ex-ballet dancer, Company Shoe Mistress, ballet teacher, and mom of a male dancer!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Just because people do it doesn't mean it's right.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"- (Currently poking Poseidon in the netherworld with his trident)

"Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe." Mila Kunis