Ballet terms

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BallerinaDanse

BallerinaDanse

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Pointe, School, Violin, Cross Country, Just stuff (I can't decide what to put on here!)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

When I'm in class I'm usually able to remember terms after the teacher says them and maybe demonstrates. It's when I go home that I start to forget them. I find terms very hard, mostly because they're usually in French and they usually start to sound the same.

Can I get some tips on how to remember terms or what some other students do to remember? I know I can't be the only one wih this problem, haha. Thanks!

#2 Hans

Hans

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Teacher, Former Dancer

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

You might want to get Gail Grant's Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. It doesn't cost much, and it's an excellent quick reference. You might also want to keep a ballet notebook in your dance bag so that you can write down unfamiliar terms and their definitions or descriptions right after class. That way you'll have more of a concrete reference if you need to ask your teacher for more details.

Gretchen Ward Warren's Classical Ballet Technique is another wonderful book with many very detailed photos showing exactly how steps are done. It's larger and costs more than Grant, but it's a very helpful visual aid.
"Forward toward Petipa!"
--Fyodor Lopukhov

#3 ascballerina

ascballerina

Gold Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

It may also help to find out what they mean in English. Many terms tell you what to do, if loosely, although with others, the connection is obscure.
Some examples of names that tell you what to do are:
Echappé sauté-escaping jump
Glissade-gliding
Plié-bending

More obscure, but still memorable would be:
Temps levé-time lifted
Temps lié-time linked
Battement balancé-balenced beating

I hope that helps!

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#4 BallerinaDanse

BallerinaDanse

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, Pointe, School, Violin, Cross Country, Just stuff (I can't decide what to put on here!)

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Hans and ascballerina, both of those posts really help.

I would be interested in getting Classical Ballet Technique even if it does cost more- but then it has pictures. After all I'm more of a visual learner, probably need pictures for an extra help. Any suggestions where to get it? Off a website or something? I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be any bookstores around here that sell it.

And I totally g
et what you're talking about ascballerina, some are more obvious than others.

Thanks again.

#5 Hans

Hans

Emeralds Circle

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Ballet Teacher, Former Dancer

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

It is available on Amazon. If you use the link at the bottom left of this page, Ballet Talk for Dancers will receive a small commission when you purchase the book. You may also be able to find it at Barnes & Noble in the "Performing Arts" section.
"Forward toward Petipa!"
--Fyodor Lopukhov

#6 ascballerina

ascballerina

Gold Circle

• Teens
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Ballet,science, reading, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, sewing, cooking, cats, gorillas, graphic design, whatever else piques my fascination

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

You've very welcome. :) I'm glad I was able to help. Best of luck!

Let us read and let us dance, two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. -Voltaire

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

#7 ossierob

ossierob

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, pointe, nutcracker, swan lake, owls, fashion
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

FLASHCARDS. Thats what I do for terminology (we have tests). I also associate the word with what it means.For example:

Pas De Chat=step of the cat
Paww De Chat= kitty paw :)

Good Luck! The book also sounds like a great idea!

#8 BallerinaDanse

BallerinaDanse

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Ossie, I'll add this to my possibilities. I make flashcards for school to remember stuff. I don't know why I never had for dance. We have exams too, but I don't think we actually have to write the words down or anything, just do them. Thanks again!