• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 chocakety

chocakety

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

When you go inside the room, one same free enchainment for all 4 girls :) but the group after or before you may be varied.

#17 Miss Persistent

Miss Persistent

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Turnout enthusiast!
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Former pro-dancer, RAD teacher, eternal student

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

Every candidate will receive the same free enchainment. The examiner will say it to you, ,let you mark it without music, then you listen to the music, mark it with the music and then perform it four times though in pairs, or a pair and a solo if there are three in the exam. The examiner will choose who she sees together.

Sorry Chockaty - I didn't see your reply when I posted!

Edited by Miss Persistent, 11 August 2012 - 05:24 AM.

#18 Hamorah

Hamorah

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Interests:Performing arts, cinema, books, fine arts, but first and foremost my family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/teacher

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I never put my IF's into soft blocks - they are so hard to work in and wearing them when it's not necessary simply gives a disadvantage for no reason! Soft slippers with ribbons are what you need and I would not pay attention to what the other girls are wearing.

About the free enchainement - you will be told only the name of the steps in the enchainement - you will not be shown them - so you have to know exactly what each step is called. We did quizzes on them before the exam and it was hard for my students to remember all the variations of pas de bourees, glissades etc that they needed to know, but at least the choice is limited now.

#19 chocakety

chocakety

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Lucky for the men who never have to deal with soft blocks when they enter for the RAD vocational exams!

#20 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Dancing again every single day of my life and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Owner, Administrator and Director, Teacher's Assistant

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Every candidate will receive the same free enchainment. The examiner will say it to you, ,let you mark it without music, then you listen to the music, mark it with the music and then perform it four times though in pairs, or a pair and a solo if there are three in the exam. The examiner will choose who she sees together.

Thanks for the details.

I never put my IF's into soft blocks - they are so hard to work in and wearing them when it's not necessary simply gives a disadvantage for no reason! Soft slippers with ribbons are what you need and I would not pay attention to what the other girls are wearing.

I'm now doing all of my classes (the non-RAD ones) in soft blocks or pointe shoes just to get used to them. It's actually getting really okay. I will reserve myself the option to use soft shoes for the exam if nearer that time I feel I'll do better in them.

#21 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Dancing again every single day of my life and introducing ballet to Cambodia.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Student, Ballet School Owner, Administrator and Director, Teacher's Assistant

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I am now exactly one month away from my examination. Gulp!

#22 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

Merde!! :)

#23 olgahk

olgahk

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:adult ballet student

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Add oil!!

#24 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

By the way, I am picking the second Variation for my examination.

#25 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Dancer, balletomane, Faculty advisor/member of childrens' school

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

What is the second variation? I know very little about RAD haha!

#26 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

For the exam, each candidate can choose between two variations. These are choreographed by the RAD I think.
If you want to see what they look like I just privately sent you two links.

#27 Hamorah

Hamorah

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Interests:Performing arts, cinema, books, fine arts, but first and foremost my family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/teacher

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I haven't taught the second variation yet. Last year I just stuck to the classical one. I might try and introduce it this year. These new syllabi make a lot of hard work for us teachers! Anyway, good luck for the exam and don't forget that there are still 30 points for musicality and presentation, so keep that in mind whilst you continue in your quest for perfect technique!!!! :)

#28 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Does that mean your students did not get a choice for their exam last year?

It is indeed a lot of work for the teachers!

#29 DaPixie

DaPixie

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

I have just been told by the school where I will be taking the exam that I don't have to wear a hip alignment belt. It's optional. Thank goodness! I hate them. They look ugly on me and make me feel fat.
So that's good news.

I was just wondering just how new shoes need to be for the examination. I started wearing a new pair of soft blocks 6 weeks ago and they already look very worn and the satin is ripped under the toes.
New shoes are quite uncomfortable for about two weeks, but at the same time they wear out so quickly with all those tendus, dégagés and ronds de jambes in every class. After two weeks, they don't look 'new' anymore.

#30 LaFilleSylphide

LaFilleSylphide

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Some judges are particular about appearance. If you decide to buy new shoes, wear them into easy classes where you can break them in with some sort of shoe covering over them (socks, or those shoe covers sansha sells). It's quite effective at making your shoes look new when you need them to look new, and yet you can still break them in to the softness you like by the time you need them for the exam!