#1 AllyKat

AllyKat

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Ballet :)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

After 4 years in a recreational ballet studio, I am finally switching to the real deal. :) But I feel so horribly about leaving my old studio; it was in no ways a bad studio. The teachers were caring and compassionate, and they set up a great foundation of basic technique and love of dance in me. I have made so many close friends there who have supported me through the years, and I feel as if I am leaving my second family behind as I move on.

The decision to audition and apply to preprofessional schools was a sudden decision after coming home from my 5-week summer intensive last week, and I just recieved an acceptance to one of them today. I didn't tell anyone from my studio that I had decided to try switch studios, for many of my friends were and still are away at intensives or vacation. I didn't want to tell the teachers or director until I was absolutely sure I was switchng.

But now that I have gotten into one of the other studios and definetely switching, I have no idea how to break the news. I love the people at my old studio so much. Also, I feel as if the director put her dreams into me and a couple other girls that we would be the ones to suceed as dancers and make the studio proud. But she doesn't provide the pre-professional program that would enable us to do so. The other serious girls are about 11-12 years old, and they are also at the point where they will have to switch studios to continue on with their progress in ballet. I just have no idea how to start the conversation with my director. She was like my other mom and invested a lot of hope in me. Same with the other girls; we had promised to stick together and work for our dreams.

Any advice?

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,522 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ally, just talk to your teacher and be totally honest. Thank her and express your sincere appreciation for all she has done, but tell her that you really want to dance professionally and you know that you will need a more intensive program to do that.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 AllyKat

AllyKat

• Teens
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Ballet :)
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Student

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

ThanksI I did exactly that, and she said she was proud of me. She wasn't angry at all; she even said I could drop in to take class whenever I want!

#4 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,522 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Excellent! Very happy to hear that. :)

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#5 darialovesdancing

darialovesdancing

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:ballet, jazz, tap, modern, and acrobatics
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

I may soon be in the same situation as AllyKat, and as much as I don't want to leave my studio, I may have to if I want to be a professional. Glad to know others are in this situation too, not just me.