Wonderful teacher --- Bad floor... What to do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Ludmilla

Ludmilla

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:student

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Thank you, To the Pointe! These are great ideas...... I'll simply have to weigh, is it worth it for me to invest the time, money and energy in a class that I could not take full benefit of.....?.....There are pros and cons to consider. ... even a less capable teacher perhaps, but in an environment where I don't have physical limitations or obstacles is going to be preferable for me..... There is not just one right answer to this!

These different viewpoints are helpful, and are not things I would have thought of on my own -- thank you all for expert and thoughtful advice. I will consider it further -- I do have other classes and I may decide to be content w/ those. In my study, the most critical thing for me is consistency-- showing up every class -- doing every exercise in the class. Sustaining that, and the environment that makes that possible is all-important. But in making decisions I like to keep an open mind and look from different perspectives so that I am not drawing a conclusion purely out of habit.......

#17 Hamorah

Hamorah

Platinum Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Interests:Performing arts, cinema, books, fine arts, but first and foremost my family.
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:dancer/teacher

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Just a thought - does she teach anywhere else? That might solve your problem - teachers often work in two studios. By the way, I wouldn't work on a cement floor, however much I loved the teacher - I have enough problems with my back.......

#18 Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Ballet Student

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I also think people in physical activities worry way to much about injury.

I worry about injuries because I already have a pile of them and I don't want to add to it or make it worse. I have chronic tendonitis in like 4 areas and have suffered bouts of it in 5 others, I have a labral tear in my hip, I have knee tracking issues and IT issues. I have back problems and neck problems and nerve damage from a cervical fracture. I wouldn't put myself into a situation that I know is going to aggrevate these issues (concrete floor + jumps).

I don't go play a game of pick up basketball and think "the cement slab has a bit of gravel on it, I might trip! Oh no!" but when I know something is very likely to cause an injury, of course I take precaution of it.

#19 Ludmilla

Ludmilla

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hamorah -- That's right I will keep my eye open for her to teach somewhere else.... That is certainly possible - again teachers in this town do move around. Someone astute at one of the larger schools may grab her - she could be at a better school.

Skitt - I agree -- who needs more strain on one's already-existing vulnerabilities? Prevention is important - and very possible to do, starting w/ the floor I feel, too.

Have you ever come across a sprung floor that really seems like a hard surface? I just looked into another school that may be interesting but I looked at their floor and they say it's a sprung floor but to me it seems like a hard surface! It has virtually no 'give' in it (I'd give it a "C+" -- feels like jumping maybe on a hardwood floor, just a bit better than cement...). it's called a 'floating floor' on a particular type of material that is supposed to be 'spongy' they said...... I'm not seeing it....Most important, I'm not 'feelin' it'.... Is it my imagination? Like everything I guess some sprung floors are better than others -- all sprung floors are not created equal! At least my feet know what seems 'sprung' or not.......?

#20 insidesoloist

insidesoloist

Gold Circle

• PTA Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:enthusiast, teacher, adult student

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

I think when it comes to "sprung" floors, you have to trust your body, not what the studio says! I once danced on a floor the studio owner swore up and down was sprung. I'm not going to argue any more that it wasn't; I think it's enough to know that even if something is "sprung", it may be wrong for you to dance on.

Perhaps the owner bought the studio from someone else who said it was sprung when it wasn't.
Perhaps it was installed incorrectly, unbeknownst to the studio owners.
Perhaps something went wrong with the materials due to temperature and they froze up and stopped being springy.
Perhaps one kind of foam was subsituted for another with people not realizing the difference.

Whatever! If it feels bad to dance on, I say don't dance on it! (Or at least not often, no jumps, etc.) We're adults, we've only got one body; I think it isn't worth dancing on a bad-feeling floor just because someone says it's sprung. Just my 2 cents!
-insidesoloist

#21 Ludmilla

Ludmilla

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

insidesoloist ---

Thanks for your comments!!! ....... at the studio in question, did not want to make a big issue of it (if I am not going to study there due to their 'non-springy' "sprung" floor, why discuss it with them?) I'm glad to hear it was not just my imagination! -- if it is not a suitable floor based on the feel of it when jumping in a pretty basic way it's not worth the risk ......."we've got only one body" as you said -- So True! I feel better w/ my decision now. (By the way at this particular studio the first thing almost they said to me was to push a "student waiver form" at me to sign (that holds the studio harmless in case of injury). Waivers like that are pretty standard these days but this particular studio seemed a bit more adamant than usual as well................Coincidence?? :ermm:

#22 Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Adult Ballet Student

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

(if I am not going to study there due to their 'non-springy' "sprung" floor, why discuss it with them?)

I think most businesses like to know why they are losing customers. If this is truly the only issue, if they never hear it from people, they can't fix it. Now if it is one of a handfull of things, then they aren't a good match for you and it probably isn't worth mentioning.

Every studio I've ever been at has had the waiver as part of the tuition form, so you sign it first thing.