Hyperextended knees and splits

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*

Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:29 PM

I have super hyperextended and knocked knees, and when I try to do a split, my knees stop me two inches from the floor and its driving me positively insane! Do Ijust need to do splits more often and hope that its a flexibility, not anatomy, issue? Also, when I arabesque or even tendu, my knees look bent, even when I've straightened them as much as I can. Is this normal; are hyperextended knees supposed to look/act like that?Thanks for any advice.

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,436 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 08 January 2003 - 08:22 PM

Aleasha, hyperextended knees go beyond straight, so there is no way they will look bent unless you bend them. If you are straightening them all the way in your arabesque, they cannot look bent, so, they must not be hyperextended. The opposite of hyperextension of the knees would cause the legs to look bent even when straight. I also do not think that hyperextension would prevent you from doing splits. I think there is a different problem here. Talk to your teachers!

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#3 Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*

Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*

Posted 10 January 2003 - 02:19 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I think it may be the 'knock' part of my knees that make them look bent. Thanks again!

#4 Guest_grace_*

Guest_grace_*

Posted 11 January 2003 - 07:33 PM

i am only posting here to ask a question or two: could the student mean that the excessive curvature caused by swaybacked legs (hyperextension) makes her LEGS look 'bent'/curved (rather than her KNEES looking bent)? or could she mean she is hypo-extended (unable to fully straighten the knees)? does the comment she makes about splits give any clues? i.e. when a VERY hyperextended student does splits, do their knees hit the floor, while their heels are OFF the floor? could that be what she means? (come to think of it, i guess i have seen people sitting like this...but does that mean they would be unable to 'lower' the lower leg back, down onto the floor? (by stretching 'out'wards) i am just confused...any thoughts, victoria? :P

#5 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,436 posts
  • Interests:Teacher
  • Connection to/Interest in Ballet:Teacher

Posted 11 January 2003 - 07:55 PM

Grace, my guess is that with this student the legs are probably knock-kneed and hyPOextended, rather than hyperextended. She could mean that her legs look bent, but I really think it is most likely the knees are just not straight. But of course we have no way of knowing here. She talks about knees looking bent in a tendu. If that is the case, then they must be hypoextended. Also, I have just never heard of the KNEES preventing splits in any of the positions. So, not quite sure what she means by that, and she doesn't say whether she is doing a regular split or a second position split. But my legs are extremely hyperextended (or were, before the cartilege wore out and the knees just went bad) and splits in any position were not a problem, ever.

Victoria Leigh
Administrator

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS...
...IT'S LEARNING HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! [Unknown]

#6 Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*

Guest_Aleasha Barkova_*

Posted 12 January 2003 - 04:49 PM

Just a note form 'the student', I've been told by three teachers that my knees are hyperextended, and I can sit down, put my heels on a stack of three phone books and touch my knees to the ground without feeling a thing. I think my knees look bent because when I'm turned out, you see the front of my leg and since I'm knock kneed, my leg looks bent. I'm thinking that I just need more flexibility to do splits, and it probably doesn't have anything to do with my knees. I'm sorry; I stated the original question poorly.

-A.B.