Ballet Talk for Dancers
BW

Schedules in the Intermediate to Advanced Levels

BW

I've just made this thread a sticky - please feel free to add to this thread, after you've read through it carefully to make sure a school has not already been mentioned. Please remember we are talking about Intermediate and Advanced levels here - meaning that most likely the student will most likely be at the youngest 14 and often a bit older.

This thread is a good reference tool, if nothing else. :D

terri7410

Here is a quick look at the schedule for Clara R. Noyes Academy, affiliated with Ballet Internationale:

Level 4

Technique: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 4:30-6:00 p.m., Friday 5:00–6:30 p.m.

Pointe on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Character on Wednesday

(10+ hours per week)

Level 5

Technique: Monday–Friday 5:00-6:30 p.m., Saturday 9:30–11:00 a.m.

Pointe - Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday

Modern - Monday

Historical Dance - Thursday

(15+ hours per week)

Level 6

Technique: Monday-Friday 2:30-4:00 p.m., Saturday 9:30-11:00 a.m

Pointe - 4:00-5:00 p.m. daily

Modern - Monday

Historical Dance - Thursday

(19+ hours per week)

Rehearsals scheduled outside class time

Additional information: Ballet Internationale--Clara R. Noyes Academy schedule

msfifiroxsox

Here is my schedule for this upcoming year. I go to the Hartt School Community Division Dance Dept., which used to be the School of the Hartford Ballet and I'm in level E out of F. This year E and F are being "combined" because there will only be about 4 students in F and 5 in E.

Monday

Ballet 5:30-7:00

Pointe 7:00-8:00

Tuesday

Ballet 5:30-7:00

Pas de Duex 7:00-8:00

Wednesday

Modern 4:00-5:30

Modern Company Rep. 5:30-6:30

Thursday

Ballet 6:00-7:30

Pointe 7:30-8:30

Friday

Ballet 4:00-5:30

Character 5:30-6:30

Saturday

Pilates 9:15-10:15

Ballet 10:30-12:00

Variations 12:00-1:00

On saturdays we also have a lunch break from 1-1:30, then rehearsals for senior performing ensemble until 3ish. We are going to be doing the Nutcracker with Nutmeg this year so there will be extra rehersals spread around there somewhere.

-Liz

Redstorm

DD's new schedule at her new school is much more appropriate than what she was doing before.

Monday: Technique 4:30-6

Contemporary Rep 6-7:30 (this is sometimes on pointe depending on the

piece they are working on)

Tuesday: Technique 4:30-6

Pointe 6-7

Wed.: Technique 4-5:30

Thurs: Technique 4:30-6

Pointe 6-7

Friday: Technique 5:15-6:45

Variations/Rep 6:45-7:45

Saturday No Class

Sunday: Technique 11-12:30

Pointe/Variations 12:30-2

TOTAL: 15 hours per week

There are performances already scheduled that will require a few added rehearsals as well.

Some of the dancers are wanting to participate in YAGP next year so that will add privates in as well.

At first dd was a bit upset thinking that this was not going to be enough dancing, but I think she has since agreed that it will be enough, especially because of the level and training she will be receiving.

I wanted to ask....is this enough pointe? I know that was dd's biggest concern. She just turned 14 a couple of weeks ago.

dance_through_life

The Dancing Arts Academy:

modern 7:30-9 (in the morning)

9-12 schoolwork (usually online courses like University of Nebraska or Calvert)

12-1 lunch

1-2:30 ballet class

2:30-3:30 private coaching for yagp etc (or extra class time if needed) (not all students)

3:45-5:15 Ballet and pointe

the afterschool program (for students who attend public or another private school:

http://dancingartscenter.com/programs%20_level.html

(click on view form to see the schedule for each level)

les_sylphides_

Here is School of Oregon Ballet Theatre's schedule :)

http://www.obt.org/schoolschedule.html

Trainees take company class in the mornings and attend rehearsal in addition to the Level IV classes in the evening.

swanchat

Bump.

Mom of 8th grader DD. Looking to see updated schedules to get a feel for hours offered at pre-pro programs. We are trying to make informed choices for DD at this milestone (high school looming) and ballet skills advancing. Any data would be helpful! Also interested in knowing how many programs require day time classes or can sufficient training to dance professionally be offered say from 2PM through the evening.

dancemaven

Dear Swanhat, my high school age DD has trained at two different 'release time' programs (one residential, one not), both of which do produce professional dancers. In each program, the dancers have class beginning at about 2:00 p.m. and finish classes around 6:00 p.m. Sometimes that schedules also includes rehearsals, sometimes the rehearsal hours are added on. Each program also has one Saturday class plus rehearsal hours.

So, depending on the program, it is not absolutely necessary to take "day time" classes that begin before 2:00 P.M. I do know of some programs in which the dancers must homeschool in order to make classes which are held during the morning or very early afternoon, but I truly believe that was more a matter of when the studio space was available for the student dancers as opposed to the necessity of packing in more training hours.

Other residential schools may choose to have the ballet classes in the morning, but because they are also addressing the academic issues as well, they can schedule things as best it fits their needs.

swanchat

Dear Dancemaven,

Yours are words of comfort! DD trains at a wonderful pre-pro school and it has it's own academic program. DD is flattered that they want her to train within that program; it is an honor. We are trying to utilize our own wonderful public high school and fit into the schedule of DD's pre-pro school and the 2 schedules are not meshing well. I am a non-dancer and find myself trying to piece together a training schedule that will keep the ballet training at a level for DD to be competitive in the ballet world and utilize our local academic resources. I have been trying to get a sense for how much technique, pointe, variations, modern, etc. is the "norm" in order to piece together something. It is likely that we will continue with the school's late afternoon/evening program for the backbone of her training. That does not have variations or more than one dedicated pointe class per week. Pointe is included everyday during the last 30 minutes of a 2 hour pointe class. I am willing to pay for "privates" although I am told this doesn't have the same benefit as classes. There don't seem to be any release time programs in our area. It's frustrating!

Spiritfire

I know that CPYB's schedule was listed by Jambon in 2003. Since that time CYB has updated it's website and the link posted on BT4D no longer works.

The new address for CPYB year-round schedules/teachers is http://www.cpyb.org/index.php?/classes/schedules

slhogan
O.k. - here is the link to the Level 8 (top professional training level) published class schedule at Houston Ballet Academy. You can cruise around their website for schedules for classes at other levels. http://www.houstonballet.org/gen/ACADLevel8Schd.asp

Interesting thread! My son is still young, but I appreciate hearing what life may be like in the future!

This HBA link no longer works. Here is Houston Ballet's schedule for 2007-2008 school year:

Level 1 & 2 : two 1 hour technique classes (must be 7 years old to audition for L1)

Level 3: three 1 hour tech classes

Level 4: four 1.5 hour tech classes, three of them are followed by a 1 hour pointe class; 1 hour jazz

Level 5: five 1.25 or 1.5 hour tech classes, all followed by a 1 hour pointe class; 1 hour modern

Level 6: six 1.25 or 1.5 hour tech classes, four classes followed by 1 hour pointe and one followed by 1 hour pas; 1 hour modern

Level 7: same as L6 but two 1 hour modern classes (L7 offers year early afternoon classes for students in correspondence school or early-release).

Level 8: six morning 1.5 hour tech classes, three of them followed by 1 hour pointe and one followed by 1 hour pas; Five 1.5 hour afternoon tech classes, three followed by 1 hour pointe and one followed by 1 hour pas; one 1 hour social; two 1 hour modern; one 1 hour jazz; one 1 hour music.

I don't know HBII schedule.

Hope this helps somebody!