Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aeangel008

hip alignment belts..

18 posts in this topic

hey everyone...I was wondering how hip alignment belts work , those skinny little belts look like they couldnt help out very much.. I was wondering if anyone uses them and how you can check you alignment by wearing those belts, and also why you have to check your hip alignment?!

*Joelle* tongue.gif

P.S sorry I messed up on that last post!

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: aeangel008 ]

Joelle, in my opinion those belts don't work for hip alignment, they don't look good at all when worn around the hips, and I see no purpose in wearing them. However, alignment of the hips is certainly important! The alignment of all of the bones is primary in learning ballet, as without that you will not have balance, control, use of your rotation or anything else! eek.gif

thank you for the reply! I didnt know that alignment of the bones was so important! thanks...

Joelle

Hello,

In my RAD exams we have always had to wear the little belts, matching to the leotard. Is this obligatory? Does everyone do this?

Becky

Becky, to the best of my knowledge, the belts are still a requirement in Grades, but the most recent videos of the Majors Syllabus don't have the students wearing them. RAD pushed through a lot of changes in the last three years, and that may be one of them, but I'd have to check the files at the studio to be absolutely certain. And no, not everybody likes them, as you can see from the posts on the above thread.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

In my studio, we aren't required to wear hip alignment belts, but a lot of people do. I actually use mine to help with my alignment, but a lot of people view them as a "fashion accessory"

And I won't even allow them in my class! eek.gif In my opinion, they are not effective as a tool for alignment, and they are most certainly NOT a fashion accessory when worn around the hips, cutting the line of the body and making one look very strange. Just my opinion of course. smile.gif

I think hip alignment belts cna be very benificial becuase you cna just glance in the mirror and see if it is a straight line. Yes, I know you can just look at your hips ro see if they are alligned, but some might find it earsier to wear a belt. I personally don't wear one and neither does anyone else at my studio, but I do see the point to them. I think it's a matter of opinion and what your teacher likes.

sorry to post here, but i also dance with hip alignment belts.

in the RAD they were always obliged, not in the majors any more. because we always had to wear them, i cannot dance without it anymore, i feel kind of not proper dressed.......

miss leigh, you said that they cut the line of the body when they're worn on the hips, but what if they're worn on the waist (so above the hips)??

major mel, are there new tapes out of the RAD syllabi?? i'm curious to know if there are also tapes of advanced foundation and up...in the past there weren't any.

~SKIP~

Skip, I don't mind them at the waist, as long as they stay there! When they go down around the hips I request that they lose that belt. smile.gif Some people seem to look good in a tiny belt at the waist, but not everyone. If it looks good, and you are comfortable with it, fine. I think the lines of the body are cleaner without it, but it doesn't bother me.

Is that the purpose of those thin, see-through chiffon (at least, I think they're chiffon) skirts? The wrap-around kind that you tie around your waist?

No, tianehu, the little skirts are just to look pretty. smile.gif Also, some dancers seem to think that they serve as a little bit of cover up, less revealing than just a leotard. We allow them for pointe classes, but not for technique classes.

Skip, they didn't create any new levels when they revamped the names of the RAD majors. They just slipped all the names over. They're planning another syllabus review, which may result in the need for new videos.

major mel, i know that the syllabi didn't change, but i was just wondering what you meant with the 'new' tapes, if they were brand ne, or just the newest tapes from just a few years ago (1997 is my guess).

~SKIP~

What good timing. I was just watching the "Intermediate" (Advanced Foundation, now) and I'm just about to leave to go teach! Mine is marked US c. (copyright) 1998. They're the latest we have here.

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]