Ballet Talk for Dancers

Airbell12

Does anyone have experience of getting in for the later auditions? I confirmed a Feb. 16 audition, but am wondering if I should call them and change it to the regional audition and just visit later if I get in.

laurelballet

My dd auditioned in January and was accepted. She is a freshman there now. Good luck!!

ddegaray

My DD auditioned in January and is currently a freshman as well.  The way it worked last year is that if 3/5 professors wanted you in the program you got a yes.  There isn't a quota per say, the tuition costs seem to do the narrowing down of the freshman class size.

blissfulballerinamom

This year it was stated that you will need 6 yes votes out of the 8 teachers who observed to be accepted.  Class taught was Russian style.  After the audition class, applicants were invited to join class with current students.  Class was enjoyable as less pressure.

Erinicole

I'm new here, so I hope I'm responding to this thread properly.  My daughter (junior in high school) is also interested in Butler.  We visited the the university in October and auditions happened to be going on while we were there,  so we got to observe a little bit of the process.  My daughter loves both ballet and contemporary equally.  My question is similar to Julisha's; I'm wondering if there is enough contemporary performance opportunities to keep her interest.   For those that have students at Butler, can you please tell me if they have contemporary/modern pieces they will perform this year?  The only information I could find on the website refers to their classical productions.  Thank you kindly for any information!

owffan

My daughter is a senior at Butler. She has participated in several modern performance pieces over her time at Butler.  They are particularly part of the Mid-Winter Performances at Schrott.   Check out the resume of Susan McGuire to get a feel for the caliber of training that Butler offers in this area. Another professor, Cynthia Pratt, led a multi-year project with multiple performances of RiverRun, a very contemporary piece staged outdoors for the Streamline project.  There are a number of videos on Vimeo

My impression is that there are few university programs with as extensive a classical program and many that emphasize contemporary/modern.

Best wishes as you support your child through these decisions!

Erinicole

Thanks so much owffan!  That is very helpful information; I really appreciate the links.  I think my daughter would really enjoy watching the Mid-Winter Performance.  I am starting to understand your point about few universities offering such an extensive classical program.  Thanks again!