Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Balletgirl19892003

Boston Ballet SDP or The Rock School?

Balletgirl19892003

Okay. Last year I went to the Rock School and had tons of fun and learned a lot too. But, should I try another program since this would be my third year at the Rock School. I kinda really want to go to Boston but I have so many friends at the Rock School that I almost feel guilty thinking about going to another summer program. Does anyone have any advice for me? Have any of you ever attended Boston Ballet's program? I know what I'm getting into if I go the Rock but I don't know a whole lot about Boston. Your advice will be appreciated.

:) ~C~ :wink:

fLexNpOinte

Hello! I attended Boston Ballet SDP last summer and I attended a one week ballet intensive at the Rock School during the summer of 2002, which no longer exists. The one week ballet intensive I attended at the Rock School was very demanding and I received a lot of personalized instruction. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I am sure it was similar to their six week intensive. Many of my friends who have attended the Rock School summer intensive improved greatly and learned many things to further develop their technique and performance quality. They too had great recounts of an amazing summer at the Rock School. :thumbsup: At Boston Ballet SDP, I can honestly say I had the best summer of my life and I will never forget the valuable lessons I learned there. It was a six week intensive program last summer, but it has now been decreased to five weeks. The caliber of dance at Boston was astounding while I was there. In the upper levels, there were many dancers who I learned so much from by watching. They not only possessed nearly perfect technique, but they incorporated performance quality into every combination. :wub: All of the summer intensive dancers were friendly and amicable. What I truly loved about Boston SDP was the amazing teachers. I received so much individual attention as did everyone which really helped my level of dancing and focus to increase tremendously. At Boston SDP, I had the opportunity to receive instruction from some of the top teachers and former professional dancers in the country. Also, Boston Ballet company members took classes with us which really helped to open my eyes to what exactly I was aspiring to be. :lol: I had the same teacher about three times a week which was quite an advantage because she was able to focus on our individual needs and weaknesses. The other days I had different teachers which really helped me to become a well-rounded dance student. At the conclusion of the program, a performance was held in which all levels showcased a piece. The artistic director of Boston Ballet attended this performance along with the artistic director of the Boston Ballet School. The dancing portion of the program was unlike anything I had ever experienced before. The facilities are magnificent and the first time I saw them I almost fainted. :sweating: The city of Boston is magnificent and I learned so much about myself as a person by living there and being exposed to such amazing surroundings. I felt that Boston Ballet SDP really enriched my dancing and helped to take it to a higher level. It was an intense program. The lessons I learned there about ballet and myself are ones I will never forget. If you have any specific questions about the program, I would be glad to try and answer them based on my experience there. I hope I helped and didn't wander too far off topic. :):D Good luck with your decision! :wink:

Victoria Leigh

Sounds to me like it might be a good idea to try something different this summer, balletgirl :)

Balletgirl19892003

B) Is Boston Ballet's SDP really really hard to get into? I kinda want to go there now but I don't know if I will get in. Are they strict about body type? :ermm: I basically have a really good ballet dancer's body except that I have a very tiny, almost not noticable, muscular butt. :P Thanks for the advice Ms. Victoria and thank you flexnpointe for giving me the scoop on what Boston is really like. :D

:rolleyes: ~C~ :wub:

fLexNpOinte

Hey Balletgirl! This is going to sound stupid...but I am not really sure whether or not Boston SDP is hard to get into. :D There is also Dance Lab, which I heard was really great if you are 15 and under. At the audition, you get to check off which program, SDP or Dance Lab, you want to be considered for. The auditioners make the final decision, however, in regards to your preference. :wub:

When I attended Boston SDP, there were a variety of body types. The dancers were all different shapes and sizes. :rolleyes:

Good luck! I am sure you will be fine! Remember, everything happens for a reason and wherever you end up this summer is where you are meant to be! At least, that is what happened to me last summer! :PB):ermm:

Balletgirl19892003

Does Boston give out scholarships?

fLexNpOinte

Yes, Boston SDP does give out scholarships. The amounts people received varied. The people I knew that received scholarships were notified at the conclusion of the audition for the summer intensive. Hope I helped! :wink: