Ballet Talk for Dancers
cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

bailarina95

I'm from Orange County.. I was wondering if any of the moms knew anything of this school <Fine Arts Academy of Dance>

I'm also interested in any summer intensives for ages 10 or should I wait?

thanks

Guest daughtersluv2dance

We are a home-school family currently living in Vancouver BC. Our oldest daughter of 11 is taking ballet classes at The Vancouver GOH ballet Acadamy. She is doing very well there and has been pointed out as showing great potential. She loves where she is but we may have to move south for work.

We would be very greatful if we could get some feedback on where some of the best schools are. We are looking for RAD instruction. Anywhere in the SoCal area is acceptable as we are pretty flexible, that said LA/San Bernadino/Orange counties would be best.

P.S. Our younger daughter is a gymnast so some of you parents with gym kids let us know of some good gym clubs as well. We are less concerned with this as there seem to be many good gym clubs down there but fewer well known ballet schools :yucky:

pj

If you want good ballet schools, I would head for Orange County or LA area, where you can find many reputable schools with quality instruction for a talented student. San Bernardino county is "out in the boonies" when it comes to high quality ballet training. I live in San Bernardino county and this is just my opinion (please don't shoot me) :yucky:

Guest daughtersluv2dance
If you want good ballet schools, I would head for Orange County or LA area, where you can find many reputable schools with quality instruction for a talented student. San Bernardino county is "out in the boonies" when it comes to high quality ballet training. I live in San Bernardino county and this is just my opinion (please don't shoot me) :yucky:

Thanks PJ for the information. We have been looking in those areas. We hope to get a little more direction though and dont worry about us shooting you, we are Canadians, we dont own a gun B)

pj
:yucky: actually, Memo is a good source of info for the LA area; she also knows some of the OC schools. If I gave you info, it probably would not be as inclusive as her info would be. And, I believe Memo runs a RAD program at her school.... B)

Guest daughtersluv2dance
:yucky: actually, Memo is a good source of info for the LA area; she also knows some of the OC schools. If I gave you info, it probably would not be as inclusive as her info would be. And, I believe Memo runs a RAD program at her school.... B)

OK Thanks again. Memo is a fellow poster on here I take it? I will wait for her post! :shrug:

Memo

Hello Memo here.

LA, Orange county and San Bernadeno are all pretty far from eachother! I would contact the Royal Academy of Dance in Bakersfield at info@radusa.org and ask them for a list.

Off the top of my head

Village Dance Arts in Claremont

Academy of Dance in Santa Ana http://www.americanpacificballetcompany.com/

Los Angeles Ballet Academy in Los Angeles. http://www.laballet.com/ :yucky:

Goh Academy is a great school. Good luck on finding some wonderful training in So Cal. Hope this helps.

Guest daughtersluv2dance

Thanks Memo! We must be on the right track because we have come across all the above in our searching. LA Ballet looked interesting. I know the search area all seemed pretty far from each other and is a large area but we have some flexibility in where we live. I was really dissapointed in the Ballet Pacifica thing. I was really excited about that and was looking forward to having her attend there... How could LA not be able to support such an incredible opportunity for dance? :yucky:

GOH is very very good. We wish we could take our teacher with us. How hard is it for an instructor to move to the US to teach?

[edited by moderator to delete unnecessary quote of entire immediately preceding post.]

Edited by dancemaven

Memo

I was specifically refering to RAD schools there are many good schools and teachers in LA and OC. It is best to go and visit and have your child to take a class to see if it is a good fit. One of the great things about RAD is that if you have been doing it, you can continue to follow the methodology which gives the child continuity and helps to prevent injury by finding a reputable school in the new area you are moving to. :yes:

Guest VIP

It doesn't have to be a large studio/company to get good training. The talent of the dancer and the conection between the dancer and instructor is more important. We are always amazed when a beautiful dancer appears from an unknown place. How about the little school Ballet Pacifica originated from in Laguna Beach. Lila Zali started Ballet Pacifica in the 60s, because she loved dance and wanted to train and expose yound people to the art. The studio is still in existence. Of course the name has changed, but the philosophy hasn't.

VIP (Very Important Parent or Visiting Interested Parent)

TruthConquers

I just got a Postcard from Ballet Pacifica. Evelyn Cisneros-Legate a 23 year veteran and principle dancer of SFB is now Academy Director. YES!!! I am so happy that a new Director has been named! :)

Guest VIP
I just got a Postcard from Ballet Pacifica. Evelyn Cisneros-Legate a 23 year veteran and principle dancer of SFB is now Academy Director. YES!!! I am so happy that a new Director has been named! :grinning:

I'm gald too. I have wanted to send my daughter to their SI for about three years, but there has been so many changes that I worried about the stability and the quality of the training. There are constantly philosophy and style changes, which affect the school as well as the Company. When I heard that Ethan Steifel (Spelling?) was injured and leaivng, I was glad that my DD will attend SFBS SI this year instead. I do hope that all goes well, because I have family close to Irvine and would like to let my DD dance, while we visit and go to the beach next year or the year after. If the transition isn't smoothe we will continue to look elsewhere. Keep us informed about how the changes transpire. It sure would help the finances if DD could attend their program (Room and Board and vacation in one package) and know that the staff was stable.

VIP

Latte_and_laptop
i wanted to know if there were any pre- proffesional schools or a really good school in southern california. i live in orange county.. and my moom dosent want to drive far. any help

Hi,

I also recommend Danse Conservatory in San Juan Capistrano. Melissa Allen-Bowman and husband Richard Bowman run the school and small company. They also taught at the Pittsburgh Ballet and have a good reputation and strong links to ABT where Melissa used to dance.

Mellisa

To the poster looking for a strong ballet academy near a strong gymnastics program in the Southern California area, you may want to look at the schools near Aliso Viejo in Orange County. Classical Ballet Academy is across the street from National Gymnastics training center and 2 miles down the street from USA Gymnastics Training Center. Classical Ballet academy is under new ownership as of February, so I am not sure of their new training, but it used to be Vaganova. New owners are Dmitri (Bolshoi trained) and Jennifer from Pittsburg Ballet. Not much to offer, but you can call and collect necessary information.

MMH
Melissa Allen-Bowman and husband Richard Bowman run the school and small company. They also taught at the Pittsburgh Ballet and have a good reputation and strong links to ABT where Melissa used to dance.

Actually, Melissa was the assoc. artistic director and the main instructor for the upper levels at Pittsburgh Youth Ballet, not Pittsburgh Ballet Theater's school. Her husband, Richard, was a soloist with Pittsburgh Ballet Theater, dancing many principal roles. He frequently guest taught at Pittsburgh Youth Ballet. As I have mentioned in previous posts, in addition to many other's recommendations here on BT, they are excellent teachers, with fine reputations. Melissa also has a special flare for choreography.

Principal dancers Dmitri Kulev and Jennifer Langenstein, a married couple, recently left Pittsburgh Ballet Theater to run the school mentioned in the post above. What a small world....so close to the school that Melissa and Richard Bowman started.