Ballet Talk for Dancers
cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

tu2sparkles

I don't know if this helps but I read someone suggesting a school in claremont. Well, this 1 is near Claremont, it's called Inland Pacific Ballet and it's in Montclaire.It might be too far away from you but it's a very well-known school , at least in my area.

mowilliams

I strongly suggest anyone looking for ballet schools in orange county take a close look at Pacific Coast Academy of Dance, headed by Victor and Tatiana Kasatsky. They have a very impressive resume. My child dances there and couldn't be happier anywhere else as all the students there are very supportive of each other. The teachers make things fun and keep it positive but still push their students very hard. its in san clemente and you can virtually see the ocean from the studio

here's the website

www.pcadance.com

little-duck

Pacific Coast Academy of Dance is excellent!! My ds actually commutes there twice a month from NM specifically to train with Victor Kasatsky. I can't say enough about how fantastic their program is. Victor and Tatiana genuinely care for their students and push them to excel. DS would not be considering a career as a dancer if it were not for Mr. Kasatsky's influence. Give this school serious consideration.

Latte_and_laptop

QUOTE(gogators @ Mar 26 2007, 06:57 PM)

Now if anyone can recommend quality ballet classes & training programs in Orange County, please let me know!

Thanks."

Gogators,

Sorry, I meant to include this with the last quote. I, too, am saddened by the close of Ballet Pacifica. An organization dedicated to preserving any part of classical dance deserves support. I read the press release and was surprised to learn that BP has been performing for 46 years!

Given that this light is dimming, although perhaps only temporarily should white knights be found, I can recommend another high-quality studio. Danse Conservatory is relatively new (3rd season) and is a tightly knit, wonderful group of dedicated ballerinas from 11 to 21. Every single conservatory student who auditioned was accepted to a top SI. Only age and parental concerns kept one girl at home for the summer. The studio is in San Juan Capistrano, and the teachers are excellent. Melissa Allen, founder and AD, danced with ABT and abroad for many years. Her husband, Richard Bowman, dance with the Royal Ballet and is still actively performing with local companies as well as teaching. Maude Wachter, the studio's ballet mistress, danced in Leipzig and has a dance teaching degree from the Paris Conservatory. Elaine Haubert, former ballet mistress of ABT, also teaches there. Melissa does not like large classes, so each student gets many one-on-one corrections. Conservatory students go six days a week for several hours of technique, pointe, modern, pilates, body conditioning and pointe. I invite you to check their site. You won't find the conservatory schedule on the site, but I'm sure you will see it if your DD comes in for a placement audition.

www.danseconservatory.com

Hope this helps!

[Edited by moderator to put quote in this post and delete previous post which was only the quote.]

gogators

Thanks so much NancyT105! I have heard excellent things about Melissa Allen's school before and just sent them an email inquiry. Will find out how her school and other schools will be able to balance out their class schedule with dd's HS academic schedule, which is getting pretty rigorous.

Just when I thought we had a "perfect" situation with commute times, class schedule, balancing with son's sports schedules, etc., this has to happen! But then again, perfect time for dd to hurry up and get her drivers license...

Thanks again! And I'm holding out hope that maybe OC's Donald Bren or one of the Broadcom owners will come thru for BP as the white knight! :-)

mowilliams

another studio to look at:

Pacific Coast Academy of Dance. It's roughly a half hour south of Ballet Pacifica.

2002-2005 it won "outstanding school" at YAGP regionals and in 2006-2007 they won "Outstanding Teachers" at YAGP regionals. Former students dance with Houston ballet, Stuttgart ballet, Universal ballet and several others, and every year students get scholarships to top notch summer programs etc.

Also, they've had students place in the top twelve at the New York Finals for YAGP every year the studio has entered.

Uh oh, this is starting to sound like an advertisement so I'll stop! Suffice it to say they have a very impressive resume, everyone there is lovely and the atmosphere isn't particularly competitive or dramatic.

www.pcadance.com

other good studios relatively nearby would be:

Southland Ballet Academy

Dmitri Kulev Classical Ballet Academy

Danse Conservatory

Yuri Grigoriev School of Ballet

L.A. Classical Ballet Academy

Latte_and_laptop

My thanks to the moderator who repaired my comment-less quote. I hope all the moderators feel appreciated because BT4D's safety and high quality are due largely to their efforts.

Good luck with your hunt, gogators. I can relate to the balancing act, as I'm sure many parents of dks can. We take multitasking to a whole new level. Fortune 500 companies would be lucky to have us. :blushing:

I think the studio choice depends greatly on individual preference and previous training. I believe Ballet Pacific taught a mix of Balanchine and Vaganova, but I'm not sure. Mowilliams, how do students trained in Balanchine adjust to PCAD?

mowilliams

good point.

PCAD is pure russian (vaganova) training, as both of the teachers went to the Bolshoi Ballet School. Of the studios I listed, PCAD, Classical Ballet Academy, and the Yuri Grigoriev school are all vaganova. I'm not sure of the other studios, thus I will refrain from commenting on their styles, although I know the quality of their training is very good.

Orange County hosts many excellent ballet schools, so the students of Ballet Pacifica shouldn't have too much trouble relocating to another school, although BP's closure is very sad news to everyone, and it was certainly an excellent training facility.

dancemaven

So that this discussion does not get buried in the SI thread, I split it off and moved it to the more appropriate forum for questions concerning year-round training and programs.

Please, do continue. :blushing:

Snowflake

Hi!

I'm not from Califronia, but I'd strongly reccomend Danse Conservatory. I trained with Melissa Allen for 4 years at Pittsburgh Youth Ballet. Maud Watcher also joined PYB's faculty and I studied with her for 2 years before they both moved to Orange County to found Danse Conservatory. They are excellent teachers!! They care so much about their students and really help them improve. They are great people, and I have heard they are having great success out in CA. I encourage you to call and ask if you can take a class in their school. I'm sure they'd love to have you! Good Luck with your search!

If you have any questions about Melissa, Richard or Maud's classes or background, post them here, and I'll try to answer them!

gogators

Thank you all so, so much for the helpful suggestions. Really, I need to realize how lucky we are to live in a large metropolitan area like OC. We could be living in Nome, Alaska and looking for a ballet school. (Actually, I don't think Nome even has a ballet school...)

dance1soccer1

I'll add my plug for Danse Conservatory. Melissa and Richard taught at some early intensives for DD, and did a wonderful job. She coached DD a couple of times, while we were in CA for another program, and solved a trouble spot for her. Her no-nonsense style and positive attitude were a great boost for DD when she was younger. We strongly recommend!

Guest balletandsynchro

Also, Melissa teaches at the ABT Detroit SI, so some of the dancers/parents on these boards may have already met her. Danse Conservatory also has two short SIs: one in June before the large programs start, and another one in August as an end of summer intensive. I know that many of the Danse Conservatory dancers participate in one or the other of these prior to/after attending their away SI programs.

PCAD is another great studio, but their method of instruction varies from Ballet Pacifica. No Balanchine style at PCAD! Give their Executive Director a call - she is very helpful and kind.

For those in the northern OC, Anaheim Ballet is another great possibility. I know the ADs' eldest daughter is now with ABT studio company.

gogators

I would have to add that Larry Rosenberg from Anaheim Ballet was very responsive to my email questions. Also they're smart about their online marketing -- they now produce weekly video "podcasts" featuring their dancers and productions -- go to [Youtube.com] and do a search on "Anaheim Ballet"

Also have to add that Ballet Pacifica doesn't really specialize in Balanchine --- really variety of styles taught, or mostly American classical style (if that's what you call it). But some lean towards Vaganova but not strongly -- but all emphasized proper, clean and beautiful technique.

Edited by dancemaven

cricket

I would just like to add an affirmation for Melissa Allen. My DD had her at ABT Detroit the summer immediately before she moved out to California and my DD was begging me to move us out there so she could take classes with Ms. Allen year round. My DD absolutely adored her and still mentions her with great admiration.