cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

134 posts in this topic

Westside Ballet has a great reputation and I see dancers from there hired by many companies. I am not sure if Westside is in Orange county but should be within driving distance. Westside's focus is Balanchine, I believe.

Westside Ballet is in Santa Monica (Los Angeles County), and is a pretty long distance (especially with traffic) from the Ballet Pacifica physical location. If people are looking for a location fairly close to the current BP location, Southland Ballet would probably be one of the closest.

ABT has a summer intensive in Orange County. I think it's two weeks in August.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about South County Classical Ballet in Rancho Santa Margarita. I stumbled upon it in a Google search, and was interested in switching myself and my DD there. Does anyone know anything about them?

May I add Southland Ballet Academy and Academy of Dance in Santa Ana is very good training.

I also was a student of Maud Wachter when I was training at pyb and I have nothing but good things to say about her. She is an incredible teacher and a beautiful person. I think that anyone who has ever had her as a teacher can say they love her. I do.

I would like to add that although I did not have Melissa as a teacher I know for a fact that she and her husband are unbelievable teachers.

I recommend Danse Conservatory to any dancer. You will get wonderful training there.

If you are interested in Danse Conservatory you can go on there website

www.danseconservatory.com

I also found out that Maud is guest teaching at Ballet Academy of Pittsburgh's SI which is once again a great school.

I hope this helps anyone who is searching for a ballet school to train at.

There are now several threads on OC ballet schools on BT and there are plenty of good schools in the area, including the ones already mentioned here. (It's becoming a matter of which one is more convenient for you in terms of distance as well as teaching style & class offerings.)

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, I'll add the Maple Conservatory of Dance in Irvine, which is new. Their faculty for their conservatory program which starts in the fall is now posted on their website. Includes Chris and Laura Martin, as well as Charles Maple, Shawn Stevens, Gilma Bustillo, William Lu, among others.

http://mapleconservatory.com

(I just realized that I think I had started this thread when we were left w/o a ballet school when Ballet Pacifica closed! Sorry! But at least there was a happy ending to this story with everyone's help on this board. Many thanks to all of you for your past help!!)

You may want to consider Maple Conservatory. I believe it is in the same facility where Ballet Pacifica used to be located in Irvine, California. The studio is privately owned and directed by Charles Maple and Kathy Crade. Charles Maple is a former soloist with American Ballet Theatre and has been affiliated with ABT summer programs for some time. Kathy Crade is the Administrative Director for the school. Here is a link to their website http://www.mapleconservatory.com.

Good Luck

Ballet Adict;

I know what you mean about Maud Wachter. After Ballet Pacifica closed, I took my DD to Danse Conservatory for an Open class which was with Maud. That was all it took. My DD is very happy there today and is progressing very nicely. :yes:

Anyone else interested in Orange County Ballet Schools:

There has been an announcement at the ABT site that the Artistic Director of Danse Conservatory, Melissa Allen-Bowman is the replacement for Nancy Raffa as Director for all the ABT SI's. She will be running the NY site personally. In the past, she ran the Detroit site for many years.

My DD and I were so happy to hear about Melissa when ABT made the change in August. The best thing is she will remain in OC, except during audition time, and of course the NY SI. I can't say enough good things about Melissa, Richard and Maud. THey are all excellent teachers and very kind and truly help the dancers become the best they can be. :yes:

I heartily agree. Melissa's studio looks at more than just dancing. The teachers strive to prepare the dancer as a whole to face the dance world. There's so much more to ballet than just dancing. The DDs must be prepared emotionally, and this studio does an excellent job of making each dancer be the best DK possible.

I came across this ballet academy Hartfel Ballet in Orange, CA. Seems that they have an innovative teaching method called the Cradle Method. Has anyone heard of this or seen it taught?

I believe that this "method" is one created by the director of this school/company. It may be a fine place for some students, perhaps adult students, but if you look through the photos you will not see much that is classical ballet there. I find very little, if anything, that is innovative about the approach or philosophy. The innovations appear to me to be based on the theories of modern dance, many of which apply to ballet and have been used for years. Skeletal awareness is not exactly new to ballet, nor is working towards more knowledge of teaching classical ballet more safely and with fewer injuries. There are indeed actually a few of us who have studied kinesiology and it's application to ballet. :)