Ballet Talk for Dancers
cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022

Thank you, Miss Leigh. Having studied dance, and only classical ballet at that (primarily Russian), since Jan 4 2007, I am quite amazed at how far I've progressed from weightlifter/runner/non-dancer, to a serious ballet student whose body has resculpted its shape to a dancer's body. Okay, enough horn-tooting!

I've read some posts that refer to kinesiology and have become interested in learning more about the physiological and motor side of dancing; primarily because I am no spring chicken, and need even more than ever to conserve or maintain healthy joints and tendons.

As a working adult, and serious ballet student, I could look into evening classes on these subjects. What classes should I explore, and under which dept are these classes offered (ex: Phys Ed, Biological Science, etc.)? I can check whether the classes are offered through our community college system or through 4-year universities.

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

I'm not sure where it is housed in all universities, but at OU, when I was teaching there in the Dance Dept., Kinesiology was housed in PE.

You might try a class at the Hartfel school and see if it makes sense to you. If it is well done, although very different from the classical ballet you are used to, it might be able to teach you more about the body than you would get from an academic course. Would be worth at least observing, if not taking a class.

gogators   
gogators

Tho' not in Orange County, I also suggest Long Beach Dance Conditioning (http://www.longbeachdance.com). It's where Gyrokinesis and Gyrotonic is practiced and taught. One of my dd's ballet & conditioning teachers is certified and a Master Trainer in both areas from LBDC and it's interesting to see how these two areas compliment ballet training in terms of strength building and injury prevention.

bailarina95   
bailarina95

Victor & Tatiana Dance Academy

Laguna Hills, CA

Brand new studio....

I'm sure they are really going to be loaded w/ interested kids and moms that just couldnt do the drive like myself. I wish them the best in the years to come.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-am...34-council-care

It looks like Dimitry took over this spot.... above.. NOT V&T

bailarina95   
bailarina95

Looks like this is still pending.... no word on the new location and after their SI, they will no longer be back at PCAD

balletandsynchro   
balletandsynchro

bailarina95,

Do you know where they are going since they are leaving PCAD, and before the new studio opens?

bailarina95   
bailarina95

no word yet on the new location.. my good source will inform me & give me the green light to announce as soon as she confirms with them.. I will definitely keep you posted.

They will be teaching at saddleback dance center

Balletbabe32   
Balletbabe32
You may want to consider Maple Conservatory. I believe it is in the same facility where Ballet Pacifica used to be located in Irvine, California. The studio is privately owned and directed by Charles Maple and Kathy Crade. Charles Maple is a former soloist with American Ballet Theatre and has been affiliated with ABT summer programs for some time. Kathy Crade is the Administrative Director for the school. Here is a link to their website http://www.mapleconservatory.com.

Good Luck

I took class with Charles Maple at Lauridsen in Torrance. He is amazing, I loved his classes! I would highly recommend him to anyone. The classes were a lot of fun, but also a lot of work, which is the best kind of fun for a ballet dancer :yes:

balletandsynchro   
balletandsynchro

My daughter will concur with Balletbabe32. She LOVES Charles Maples' classes! When she is in town, she tries to take as many classes she can with him.

gogators   
gogators

FYI, open classes that are also popular at the Maple Conservatory are classes led by Chris Martin, Alaine Haubert, among others.

bailarina95   
bailarina95

Located in Mission Viejo, CA

http://www.vandtdance.com/

They will be offering open classes anyone interested or email them direct for privates.

little-duck   
little-duck

Is the studio shown in the videos the new location? It looks very nice. :rolleyes:

sthdancer   
sthdancer
Is the studio shown in the videos the new location? It looks very nice. B)

no it's west coast academy of dance in mission viejo.

sciencegeek   
sciencegeek

Does anyone know anything about this school?

from website:

Dmitri Kulev Classical Ballet Academy

A premier dance studio in Orange County providing quality Russian ballet training.

TIA

sthdancer   
sthdancer

it's run by jennifer and her husband dmitri who are former dancers with pittsburgh ballet theater.