Ballet Talk for Dancers
cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

bailarina95   
bailarina95

Hi sciencegeek

I am no person to judge a school simply by what I hear & because their kids placement was lower than what they expected. Its your own judgment & how your child feels about the studio. The owners are super nice. Will focus on your DD during placement class & afterwards they will inform you of their placement decision.

I have heard a lot of students from PCAD are going to that studio for placement. Some are happy & some would like a 2nd re-evaluation because they are being placed in levelIII. They might have their own reasons... but if you make it to level IV at 12 y/o & your other classmate didnt, that can be your scenario. Moms are not accepting it & want the 2nd re-eval. ----stage moms----- I see it all the time

There studios are not very big unless they expanded & the lobby area if you live far & need to wait.. its not very big waiting area.

Try the placement class.. & see for yourself..

Bailarina

Latte_and_laptop   
Latte_and_laptop

Bailarina95, which studio's placement classes are you recommending? Is it DKCBA? I can't tell from the thread.

bailarina95   
bailarina95

Speaking of DKCBA...

Not really recommending.. Its a preference of style you prefer.. Russian is the style the above studio emphasizes with.

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022

Does anyone have feedback on the training quality provided in the ballet classes in Pacific Dance (Irivine, CA)?

Does their training prepare students for pre-professional track, or are their training geared more for recreational ballet students (those who will not pursue a professional ballet career)?

gogators   
gogators

Tho' I don't have personal experience with Pacific Dance, I don't think many would disagree with me in stating that Pacific Dance is more for recreational dancers. I know they are more into competition dance teams and dance competitions & recitals (i.e., where parents have to buy the recital costumes) -- i.e., like Focus Dance, which is also in Irvine.

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022

Thanks gogators. So if someone wants to eventually dance professionally, albeit part-time, with one of the local ballet companies in the OC or South Bay (LB, Torrance areas), would taking Ballet 3 class and up at Pacific Dance give enough technical training?

gogators   
gogators

I'm only a parent, so your question is more appropriate for one of the teachers on this board as far as no. of hours & frequency.

But, if you're looking to dance professionally, even part-time, you should look at the pre-pro schools in your area which offer quality ballet training & teachers -- if you're looking to remain in Irvine, there's Maple Conservatory of Dance, and points further south and north in Orange County, there is Anaheim Ballet, Danse Conservatory and Southland Ballet.

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022

I am presently attending a Saturday class at Southland Ballet, and just printed the application form for Maple Conservatory. They have placements for Classical Division on Aug 23/24. I hope that their class schedules work with my work hours.

Pointe1432   
Pointe1432

When I stumbled across this thread it really gave me a sense of pride of all these great training facilities in southern California. So many of them I know from personal experience or through other professional dancers who have also come from the area.

I'm a Lauridsen Ballet Centre "baby" myself, so I will always show alittle bias in that direction, and rightfully so. I owe my career to Diane Lauridsen and those who she brought in to teach like: Mario Nugara who with his Maggie Black inspired training focused on proper placement at an early and crucial point in my training, Charles Maple who helped me learn to find a more free sense of movement in my dancing and the experience of working with a choreographer to create a ballet long before a professional career was even considered a possibility.

And the list goes on and on...

Yay for a beautiful crop of teachers all throughout the area! It's just one more reason I miss Southern California! (right next to, "there's not a lot of beach in the middle of Texas) :whistling:

-Pointe1432

Guest thefamilyguy   
Guest thefamilyguy

I'm looking for a studio for a 40 yr old male ballet beginner. Would any of these studios you have talked about be a good place for the beginner to go...I do want to learn tradtional ballet in the proper attire.

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022

Defore Dance Center has a broad offering of adult ballet classes. I've taken several with different teachers, and found that I learned the most from this teacher, Maria Sifuentes, because she corrects students on an individual basis. Most other teachers will only address the class as a whole when giving corrections. In addition to the several Ballet 1 adult classes she teaches throughout the week, Maria also teaches a Men's Ballet class on Wednesday evenings, and I think that is a beginning level Mens Ballet (exercises are geared towards male jumps, turns, etc.).

P.S. Hargrove and Shah no longer teach at this school.

Guest thefamilyguy   
Guest thefamilyguy

Thanks Agnes. I was looking at that one. Do you know anything about Orange Co Dance Center, which is right down the street from my home and work?

Guest thefamilyguy   
Guest thefamilyguy

Oh, and does anybody know how Southland Dance in Westminster, Calif is for adult males?

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022
Thanks Agnes. I was looking at that one. Do you know anything about Orange Co Dance Center, which is right down the street from my home and work?

I have not attended OCDC, but looking at their website, it seems to be a very recreational studio, which would be great for someone looking to work off more than a few calories and meet like-minded adults at the same time. Why don't you try both OCDC and Defore Dance, and see which you prefer? I'll say though that Maria Sifuentes's classes are not social venues. She is all business, she will touch a student to correct their placement or posture. Best of luck to you.

Fyi for everyone interested in dance studios in the OC area: Orange County Dance Studios

Guest thefamilyguy   
Guest thefamilyguy

Great, I think I'm more interested in the hands-on personal attention than socializing. I just wish it was a little closer to home. I hate OC traffic.