Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancemomCA

Boys Auditoning for Summer Intensives???

tango49

cmtaka...Congratulations on your son's acceptence to N.Y.! I do think this is a good career move now that he's 21. My son attended ABT N.Y. last summer and they did help them to make a video (he was in indigo level). I think your son will be quite challenged and enjoy a very memorable summer there. The teachers are some of the best for male dancers and I couldn't recommend it more highly! :)

cmtaka

Thanks Tango49 for the input. That really adds to my comfort level. You'd think at some point you'd stop worrying.... I really like the idea of him walking out with something to help in the job search.

Guest PAmom

cmtaka, I totally agree with tango49. It's a great SI for upper level upper teens. My son, 17 last summer at ABT NYC, has known fellows that stayed at NYU the last 2 summers. They were very pleased with the facility and the cafeteria there and I think they are the best bargain for young men that age.

t :yucky:

gbna

Hello

My son just heard from Houston, he got in and will be in level 6. Is there anyone with any experience with boys there? I have heard it is very good with them.

Memo

DS recieved scholarships to ABT NY, AAB and Harid. It is not totally clear in the Harid letter but it seems like it is tuition, room and board. He has already accepted the ABT NY scholarship. If Harid is a program he is interested in in the future, any suggestions on how to graciously turn it down. He loved the audition and the Director came in from Florida to observe and was very encouraging and approachable. Personally I think being a wiggly 14 year old he is not ready for the amount of focus and descipline required for Harid but he may be in a couple of years when he settles down a bit. I love the presentation of their brochures and packets, it really lays it all out there, and seems excellent in the way it is run. I think it moves slowly and technically and I love that about it, but know that he is very kenetic, temperamental, and in constant motion and it may just drive them nuts? (I know it does me). :bouncing:

Anyone have any prior experience with their Boys and this particular program?

Any help would be appreciated. :sweating:

dancemomCA
:shrug: AJG - your son will really enjoy spending July at NBS in Toronto. It will be a challenging summer, and the faculty are superb. Let us know if they accept him for full-time studies.

mmded

There must be a diifference for female dance students and males at RWB. Female full time students are not not offered positions for summer school and the following year until the interviews in May.

mmded

That probably doesn't sound the way I intended it! Sorry. I know from previous experience that the period frm the ballet exam in March until the interview in May when they are officially invited back is a stressful time for a lot of dancers (and therefore parents!).

tutu14

mmded:

There must be a diifference for female dance students and males at RWB.

No, there is no difference. All are told officially in May whether they are invited back for the following year but usually if they are at risk of not being invited back, this is indicated or hinted at in the Christmas interview. I don't think it is ever a complete surprise in May. It doesn't make that time period any less stressful though.

dancemomCA

mmded, I probably shouldn't have posted anything about summer school right now so have deleted the post. And no, there is no difference between female and male students. However, I do agree with tutu14 that there are really no surprises for the students in May. And some students have already decided at this point not to return next year for various personal reasons. But it still is a stressful period no matter what.

mmded

Dancemomca:

If I were computer savy enough to delete posts I certainly would have. Since I do not have PM privileges I have to say that I do know that is no difference between males and females at RWB but perhaps there is a difference in their perception of that interview in May. No matter how many times we try to convince our dancer that there is usually not any surprises, the time leading up to that interview gets increasingly stressful. It is difficult because auditioning students already have paper in their hands confirming their place in the summer schoool. It only takes one upset dancer to get everyone else going (one of the joys of living in residence). I thought that after First Steps things might calm down for a little!..Sorry for going so off topic, I don't even know where to find that icon!!!!!!

dancemomCA

:wink: mmded - I posted my earlier message without even thinking about it actually. I was happy for ajg's ds that he had been accepted to the NBS at 17, as that doesn't occur too often. And, then just rambled on about the RWB. I'm not getting the stress vibes from my ds, except for preparation for ballet exam in March. I don't know, maybe with so few boys at the school (as compared to the number of females) there is less stress about returning for summer school. I know that he has commented that several girls in his level are worried about being re-accepted. And, he said that there are other mutterings about casting etc for the gala. (off topic here). Since he didn't dance in First Steps this year, his stress was working backstage or at the concession for each show and filling in for people who didn't show up for their shift. I certainly heard about that!!!!!

All I know is that it will be a relief when May is over, the re-acceptances are done, the gala is finished and the kids can enjoy dancing in July!!! :thumbsup:

mmded
:thumbsup::wink::yes: I agree!!!!

Memo

Dancemom, what exams do they take?

tutu14

MEMO,

RWB does "in-house" exams based on their own syllabus.