Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sarah Ann

Tights over Leotard

Sarah Ann

I've noticed that some girls wear black tights over their leotards instead of under. I think it is hideous. I was looking at a similar topic on the 13-16 year old board mention something about how awful it looks to have pink tights over a leotard, but I think it looks rediculous with any color. Is there any purpose to wearing tights like this? I just feel that it looks completely unprofessional and breaks the what could be beautiful line of the body.

Guest kitrisomeday

finally, someone who agrees with me!

there really is no point(e) to it. unless one doesnt want to spend the time putting the tights on before the leotard (that's what one girl told me). I'd rather spend 10 more seconds putting them on first than saving 5 seconds and looking dumb. :wacko:

Victoria Leigh

Sometimes I think they just need to do things differently. We never seem to have these things until the students reach the top level. Then, they are often around the company dancers and start trying to dress like they do. Or, find anything that makes them feel different from the "uniform" look, which they are supposed to wear as students. This is somewhat understandable, although I still have a problem with it in terms of the tights on the outside or anything else which makes their body or their line look worse instead of better. It's a question of taste, and sometimes I think taste goes out the window in favor of different. It's a very teenage thing. :wacko:

PheonixTutu

I just think it looks weird. I've never done it before and i'd be the first at my studio to try it if I did:)

ConstanzaElisabeth

My teacher once told us that for pas de deux they were required to wear black tights because they all wore them over their leotards and it prevented wedgies...i dont wear them over but i like the look of black up to the waist, color above, so i wear a black skirt if i am wearing black tights and a colored leotard.

vrsfanatic
to wear black tights because they all wore them over their leotards and it prevented wedgies...

Actually I have heard this idea before although I do not believe it is valid since a leotard rising up will occur either way. :blink: Yes, uncomfortable without a doubt but not the end of the world. To solve that problem, a practice tutu does work however and they help the lady to feel like a ballerina. :lol:

If a student is doing a ballet that requires a leotard and tights versus a tutu, both dancers will just have to get used to the leotard rising up although that is one of the reasons unitards exist. :wacko:

ConstanzaElisabeth

the leotard may rise up, but if tights are worn over, they will not...and black tights would help to hide leotard slippage...

Guest Arak

So does that mean they wear their tights over their tutus onstage...?

I wear black tights over my leotard simply because to me they are an extra layer. I always have on pink tights under my leotard, and if it's cold in the studio, the black tights make another layer that I can easily remove, and that's a little less bulky than legwarmers and whatnot.

vrsfanatic
So does that mean they wear their tights over their tutus onstage...?

:D Ha...this one would be a sight to behold! Professional/practice tutus do not rise up because of the way they are constructed. I do not build costumes, I just wore them, so a costumer would definitely know more than I on this subject. The pantie of a tutu is made of a more durable, heavier material that does not stretch. It really does fit like a pair of pants when made well. Anyone know the name of the material?

I never experienced the tights rising up, just leotards. Maybe the material they use today for tights is a bit different than when I was being partnered? :o I cannot say that I have seen my student's tights rise up either though. I will have to start looking more carefully.

Swanilda

Well, I wear black tights over my leotard because it lengthens the line of the leg (stirrup tights). I'm not sure why people would wear pink ones over the leotard, though!

Guest Arak
I wear black tights over my leotard because it lengthens the line of the leg (stirrup tights).

Yeah, that, too. B) There are girls in my classes that wear their pink tights over their leotards, and to me it just looks like they're wearing diapers or something. Not flattering at all.

Annietart

I'm guilty of wearing tights over my leo. :cool2: The reason I give to you is the wedgie one! The slippery texture of some tights causes the leo to ride up more easily then it does when next to skin. I do agree, though, that lines look awful if the tights aren't at waist level. Since, the dress code at my studio is very, very lax I just throw on a pair of short over the tights and hitch them up to my waist and you can'tt ell the difference!

Sarah Ann

One of the main reasons that I think ANY tights look awful over the leotard is the cotton lined crotch, which is very noticeable, ESPECIALLY with black tights. :)

Now, I could be wrong, but I would take it that nobody wants other people focusing in on their crotch while they are dancing. . .not very flattering, and to be blunt, it looks as though you are wearing a pantyliner right inside of the tights, yet outside of the leotard. :cool2:

Also, someone please explain to me how a leotard rises up when it has tights under it. The tights prevent this from happening because they are TIGHT and do not rise up. . .never in my case anyways, and therefore, the leotard cannot ride up unless your tights are too big and are allowed to creep in your bottom.

dancer8906

i know im not 17-22, so delete if this is not allowed. but my leotard rides up when it is too big in the butt lol. also, the material used in tutu panties is power net. lol, funny name, but i was looking into making a tutu, and that is what they suggest to use at tutu.com.

Edited by dancer8906

Swanilda

Danskin makes black tights with dark crotches. It certainly isn't "unprofessional" to wear that-- that's what most professional dancers I've seen in class wear (under a pile of junk) :). If you have a uniform, that's something else, but black tights over the leotard are very common and are acceptable except in certain situations. If you are doing any heavy partnering, that leotard will come right up and become VERY inappropriate!