Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sarah Ann

Tights over Leotard

Guest CGP4EVA

I wear my tights over my leo simply because I want to. I don't have another reason for doing so. I will admitt that I very rarely do it, but I believe that if a dancer wants to do so then it is her perogative and if you actually have the time in class to look at her and ridicule her that's grounds for disbelief as well. At the time I am not dancing where we have a strict uniform, yet if we did I would be more than willing to comply to the dress code. I have no problem with rules or anything. I just don't think that it's worth the time and effort for me to sit in class and find something about another dancer's outfit to prey upon. But hey, that's just me.

~dancer

I do it wen im in a rush cuz to me its faster but i also think it more comfortable....but thatz just my own opinion.....i dunno y but i feel less self conscious wen i wear the tights ontop of the leotard...and its not uncomfortable

Mel Johnson

~dancer, slow down and write out your posts in Standard English, using appropriate punctuation, spelling and grammar, as far as is possible. :D

shulie

Oh me too... I too sometimes wear my tights over my leo- because the waist elastic does not cut into your sides too much that way and.. let me be honest- it makes your back side and your legs looking so much nicer and slimmer.

I dont do it with pink or sheer tights though :yes: .

Only black or dark brown over black leos.

But my alltime favorites I am wearing for almost every class right now are a black spaghetti strap unitard which I do wear with white socks and a knit (!) light green tank leo I usually wear with the classical pink tights.

iceydeville

What if there is a combined ballet and modern audition and you need to do a "quick change" of sorts? Would it be okay to put the black tights over the leotard (and pink tights) for the modern portion of an audition?

This is what happened at my last audition but I wore jazz pants instead. However, the auditioners for Texas Christian University want black tights only.

Oh the confusion.

Guest kittieruby

I basically only wear black stir up tights over my leo now. If I wear pink tights it's under my leo, but I usually roll the tights up to above my ankles. Frankly I think both styles of tights look beautiful with pointe shoes and accentuate the arch. I suppose when you arrive at an "advanced" level your own individuality begins to come out and you wear what makes you most comfortable and look good. Still, I have no problem with pink tights and black leotard after spending my many years training in this uniform. It's just a matter of taste I guess. But some things never change - I still wear my hair up in a "cinnamon bun." :grinning:

iceydeville

So apparently on the college scene, the pink tights over a black leotard is the "cool thing".

Ick. I hope i don't get sucked into that fad. Black tights over leotards are still cool, though. :wink:

Guest HEhRSuHEgYS

In my ballet class ALL of the girls wear pink tights OVER thei leotards! I find it very odd.

MissyC

This discussion has me cracking up because for as long as I can remember... it was "cool" to wear things slightly "odd" in dance!

-inside out clothing!

-torn and ratted sweaters!(the more holes, the better!)

-worn out shoes!

-tights over the leotards!

-backs of sweatpants wrapped around the heel!

-necks cut out (waaay out) of the t-shirts/sweats!

-bras showing in the back on purpose with low back leos!

I mean... I think it is actually, in some ways, part of the art during practice! I know that sounds weird, but... it makes a statement! And certains 'fads' stick or don't stick... but, the style says something to the viewer and to the dancer. Understandably, some begin as a means for warmth, etc...

I remember distinctly watching the professional leads of the company I danced with many years back wearing very ripped up sweaters and thinking... "I wish my sweaters were THAT worn!!"....

I mean!.. what IS that??, if not a statement.

It's part of the art, that's what I think ;)

MissyC

So sorry, but the word I was looking for was "quirky" in my above post.

I think "ballet fashion" has a quirk about it that no one ever really admits! ;)

Thanks for letting me get that out. :D

thebill

Almost all the guys I have spoken to that wear a leotard choose to twear their tights over it. Of course our tights are smewhat thicker than yours I suppose.

Guest LittleMissChievious

Sorry LittleMissChievious, this recommendation has been deleted due to unsafe practice. Please reconsider what you have said.

Edited by vrsfanatic

ABT Wannabe

Delete this post if I'm not aloud...very sorry!

I would never wear pink tights over my leotard, but I would never wear black tights under my leotard. It's probably because the black tights are stirr-up foot, and when they go over my leotard, they seem to lengthen the link and I think it looks very nice. :)

Zed
This discussion has me cracking up because for as long as I can remember... it was "cool" to wear things slightly "odd" in dance!

-inside out clothing!

-torn and ratted sweaters!(the more holes, the better!)

-worn out shoes!

-tights over the leotards!

-backs of sweatpants wrapped around the heel!

-necks cut out (waaay out) of the t-shirts/sweats!

-bras showing in the back on purpose with low back leos!

Yes, yes, yes! I must admit I completely understand the ballet bohemian chic, but it is very funny.

Skittl1321

We had a girl in class the other day that would stand in between combination with her two hands over two spots on her leg. The teacher noticed this and asked if she was hurt. Turned out she was hiding holes in her tights. The teacher took off her warmups and showed runs galore in her tights and said if you are dancing properly they are going to run. So we've now been instructed really awful tights are a badge of honor. I always thought they were a sign to get new tights!