Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Momof3

College Ballet Programs: Details, Details & more!

hkLola

No, I'm auditioning for full time professional schools this year. I don't plan to stay in Omaha, never did, never have. At my current pre-pro school (the only in the area, I'm not sure how long it has been around, I've been here for only 1.5 years) I dance as much as the lady explained for U of Utah, I have classes daily, Monday-Sat but not for 7-8 hours, which I know I need. But I will pay 1,300 a year for unlimited dance classes (minus modern) where I'm going, which is a big difference in the cost of U of Utah's tuition!

pointebabe4ever

hkLola,

although i myself am not a college student or anything, but what you do if you got hurt dancing and that was the end of your career (worst case scenario)? If you were still on a low budget then you would never be able to go to college and get a degree like you need to have to get anywhere in the world. i know a girl who used to at my studio who went on to dance in major broadway shows, but never finished high school, let alone go to college, and what does she do for work, she's a secretary because she has no degree so she can't get a solid, well paying job.

this is just something to think about. hopefully this might help you change your view point on a degree, if not, i'm sorry.

hkLola

No, that doesn't change my mind. As an old fashioned woman I don't really agree with women working anyway, I had never planned to and my future husband accepts that. It's not something I'm worried about. And some secretaries do make upwards of 60k a year, it's not like McDonald's.

The other thing is most people don't know how to save money!

chauffeur

I just can't decide here. Is this a :wink: moment? Or a :) moment?

So many emoticons, so little bandwidth.

TutuMaker

Editied by TutuMaker to remove juvenile response.

Mea culpa!

hkLola

For me it's :wink:

Oh, and for sure, I feel this one :)

vagansmom

Hi folks, just a reminder here to keep to the main topic. Recent posts are teetering into the political arena. Also, a strong reminder to keep the posts substantive, please.

thedriver

Thank you Joseph for posting the extremely thorough report on the Indiana University Dance Department.

Moderators – Would it be possible to have a new topic labeled "Indiana University Dance Department" and move Joseph’s post to that topic? I’m afraid it will get lost if it remains in this thread. :D

Victoria Leigh

Balletbooster and Momof3darlings are working as we speak on creating a new area for specific college program information. Coming soon to your favorite ballet site! :D

balletbooster

I moved Joseph's post to the Indiana thread (already existing) and merged another Indiana thread about admissions in with it as well. Over the next week, expect to see some merging and organizing going on, as we try to get the Career Planning forum tidied up a bit and ready to introduce the College survey template. :D

Stay tuned! :wink:

BW

I just split off the last two posts into a brand new thread about the University of Utah, on the appropriate forum. :blushing::wink:

From now on, if you all have questions about specific college or university programs - use the new threads on that forum or start a new thread yourself with the name of the specific program - only one program per thread will make it much easier to follow. :wacko:

reed3603

noone mentioned Oklahoma University. Im a BFA Ballet major here and it has an absolutely amazing ballet and modern program. I went to an east coast school (Montclair State in NJ) for a semester, hated the dance dept., and transfered here. I love it! Its pretty reasonable for out of state, has outstanding brand new facilities, great teachers, and more of an emphasis on ballet which is great. If you can get over the fact that its in OK, its amazing and i would recomend it.

Taradriver

OU has quite a thread under the colleges and universities heading. See "University of Oklahoma."

Glad to hear you are enjoying the program, first hand knowledge is always the best.