Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest sweetie

Ballet Schools in California - San Diego

Memo

What about Pacific Coast Academy of dance, they are in San Clemente, how far is that from La Jolla?

dufay

California Ballet if off Rte 5, a bit north of the city itself. At the main studio, there is live accompaniment for all classes, nice studios. They have a company attached, and do serveral performances/year . My dau has taken classes there during the summer while visiting grandparents. She comes from Vaganova training, and detected Cechetti influences (I would know?).

As anyone who has ever driven in So Cal knows- distance means nothing when it comes to how long it takes to get anywhere! I would take this into account when looking into the studios there. Driving an hour+ is one thing- sitting in traffic for several hours is another...

freespirit

Thanks so much for all the info. so far!! :P

Since we haven't moved there yet, I'm hoping to move somewhere close to dance that has good schools (I'm a teacher). I really don't want to have to drive far in Southern California traffic every day, because I'm sure she'll be going to dance 4 or 5 days a week (She'll be 12 then). Please keeping adding anything you know. I want to visit some of the studios this summer if possible, so she can try them out.

Every one here at Ballet Talk is the BEST!!!!

Swiss_Chard

Not a mom, but I live in La Jolla next to UCSD and am taking Adult Ballet classes. For what it's worth, California Ballet is faster to get to (at least in the evening), taking about 20 minutes. City Ballet is in Pacific Beach, which has lots of traffic, so I usually can't take the freeway, and it takes me 30-40 minutes to drive there. This might change on the time of day, because Genesse and the 52 can get really backed up. I really like the atmosphere at City Ballet - it's very warm and friendly. California Ballet is much bigger and for adult classes, costs more. I suppose quality is the more important factor, but I don't have enough expertise to address that question.

Guest lovinballet

Freespirit, do I have the perfect school for you!

My daughter dances at San Elijo Dance Academy located in North San Diego County (specifically at the intersection of Encinitas, Carlsbad and San Marcos). This is an incredible school with a highly gifted set of directors. The school has been open for almost 3 years now and I have been thrilled with the training. The directors are both former dancers with PNB (husband and wife) and a former Artistic director at Fort Worth Dallas Ballet. They offer a full pre-professional ballet program with classes 6 days a week at the upper levels. Students in the advanced levels have had a 100% acceptance rate into all the top SI's in the nation. My daughter began at age 12 and is now 14. For a 10 year old, she will receive the best training in North County.

If you are a teacher and want good schools for you to teach in and your daughter to attend, you couldn't find a better area to live in in San Diego. I am a teacher as well!

Hope this helps!

Edited by lovinballet

Latte_and_laptop

Everyone,

I apologize for starting another thread, but being new to this forum, I'm fairly bursting with questions. My most pressing one is the proper pointe shoes for dd, but it gives rise to another: How do you know you're at a good studio? I've been told my dd shows talent, but I tend to reserve judgment on that until I've heard it from someone I know is qualified. I'm in North County (about an hour north of San Diego). Does anyone have any ideas about studios in that area?

Thanks.

lexicon

Freespirit,

I live in San Diego and my dd has taken from a couple of different schools in the area. She is currently in a year round program back east but here's what I know about the schools she has taken at.

California Ballet- Ronson Road, San Diego. Good location, right off the freeway, easily accessible. Favorite teachers- Gail Wingfield & Judy Sharp. My daughter also loves Clarissa Palhegyi, she oversees the school. It is a more formal environment than some of the other places my daughter has taken. I know this summer they had several kids go to SAB, and one or two of them were invited to stay for the year. They have also had kids who've gone on to the Rock and other year round programs. This is where my daughter takes when she is home.

The summer program is very good, this year they had Stanko Milov from PNB and some other great guest teachers. They have a company associated with the school and they draw some great guest dancers as well. They have a website that is listed on a post above to check out more.

San Diego Ballet- about 10 minutes from California Ballet (about 15 minutes from La Jolla). My daughter loved taking class at San Diego Ballet because she liked many of the company members who taught and she felt the environment was very laid back. (not competitive). She has said that the junior company has some very talented dancers. They too can be found on the web.

City Ballet- my daughter has not taken class here but has taken from teachers who currently teach there. I don't hear a lot about this school but I know the web link is www.cityballet.org.

San Diego Academy of Ballet- my dd has friends that take here. I know the school participates in the YAGP competition and this past year faired quite well. I know a couple of kids have left this past year and gone back to California Ballet, but don't know the circumstances as to why.

Black Mountain- I remember calling to get information a while back to see what teaching method the school used i.e. vagonava, cecchetti, etc. and the receptionist was unable to tell me. This turned me off a bit, but I do think they can be found on the web as well for more information.

**For Nancy T105- since you are coming from the North County I might recommend checking schools to the north of you in addition to the south, if you don't mind driving. Danse Conservatory is probably 30-40 minutes from North County depending on what part you're in. I have heard some great things about them. The school is under the direction of Melissa Allen Bowman and her husband Richard Bowman. Melissa joined ABT at age 15 and danced there until she was 22. She has also been the resident choreographer and youth director for PYB.

Her husband is from the Royal Ballet School of London and I hear they are both quite good. They also have a website, I think it's www.danseconservatory.com.

If you are willing to drive a little further there is also Ballet Pacifica, I'm told they also have a great junior program.

Hope that helps some and good luck. Freespirit, La Jolla is gorgeous, you are going to love it!

Edited by lexicon

Latte_and_laptop

Thanks, Lexicon. I'll check into those. I am actually north of Escondido, so I'm pretty far north already.

Guest lovinballet

NancyT,

If you look at the post I made above, San Elijo is probably a lot closer to you than some of the other schools in the areas. There are quite a few students there who live in Escondido, as well as some in Fallbrook and in Temecula.

The success of students from the studio continues to grow as there have been 4 in the last year who have moved on to company trainee programs throughout the country.

lpnlotus

My DD is 2 months shy of 11. Her current studio is great when your young. My daughter told me she wants to be a dancer. We live in San Diego and need to figure out what to do next. I do know we need to go to a new studio, but, which one??? We are going to take placement classes at a couple. Just wondering if any one out there is in San Diego and can reccomend where a girl can grow as a dancer and get great instruction.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, lpnlotus. :D

There are two companies in San Diego, so I would check into the schools attached to those companies. One is San Diego Ballet, and I think the other is City Ballet of San Diego.

DegasDancer

Hi, I recommend City Ballet of San Diego. I took some classes there when I was 12 or 13. It's in Pacific Beach.

gimpydancer

There is also California Ballet.

If you're in North County there is also Black Mountain Dance Center (blackmountaindance.com) in Rancho Bernardo and if you're even farther north, BT4D's own ToThePointe has her place in San Marcos (tothepointeballet.com). Both are smaller places but with very good training.

nutmeg

San Diego Academy of Ballet is very good but only if your daughter is serious about ballet. They have a particularly strong boys program, with many boys, which is nice, because she will get good pas de deux training as she progresses. The directors, Sylvia and Max Tchernychev, teach the classes. They are very kind and very talented, but very strict.

lpnlotus

Last night my daughterhad a private with our friend who is a principal dancer at Cityballet. He knew her through the small school she currently attends. He suggested San Diego academy after he worked with her. Thanks I think I will call them next week.....