Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest sweetie

Ballet Schools in California - San Diego

Nikkivs   
Nikkivs

For people looking for high-quality ballet programs in the South Bay (Southern San Diego county) - I would check out Neisha's Dance and Music Academy in East Chula Vista. While this is a recreational school - the Ballet program is amazing! The style of teaching is Vaganova and the head of the Ballet program is Ms. Taeko Nishino - who is absolutely incredible! They also have amazing ballet teachers including Ms. Natasha Miroshnyk, who was a former principle dancer with Moscow Ballet. We also have master classes regularly with well-respected names in the Ballet community - Alexei Kremnev (Joffrey Academy of Dance), Dennis Marshall (PBTS), Victoria Schneider (Harid Conservatory), Nikoloz Makhateli (Kirov Academy), and Nikolai Kabaniaev just to name a few...

The studio spaces are gorgeous with high-quality sprung floors and large 1-way windows so parents can watch without making their dancers uncomfortable!

They also are closely associated with the non-profit Chula Vista Ballet, so the performance opportunities are great! There are also prestigious ballet schools who host their SI auditions here, of which many girls who attend here are accepted to annually!

I highly recommend it based on our personal experiences!

JosephineM   
JosephineM

Does anyone have any knowledge on the training provided at City Ballet San Diego? I realize the Company is very good, with a Balanchine focus. I'm curious about the school. Sometimes a Company is great, but not so much the school. Anybody know? I'd like to know about the highest level, for teenage girls.

PlainJane   
PlainJane

JosephineM- did you ever get an answer to this question? We are also interested in hearing opinions about the training at City Ballet for older girls.

momtoemandel   
momtoemandel

I'm curious about Vaganova schools in the area It would be nice to know if students or adults dance the challenging roles in their full length ballets. We're a bit spoiled where we are in that regard. Unfortunately, we may be relocating.

Also does San Diego have a performing arts magnet school?

PlainJane   
PlainJane

momtoemandel- San Diego is a beautiful city with lot of great ballet schools! We're relatively new to dance, so I can't really help you with finding a Vaganova School, but for a magnet high school check out the School of Creative and Performing Arts in San Diego and the Coronado School of the Arts. Some kids in North County San Diego also travel up to the Orange County School of the Arts.

Good luck!

nutmeg   
nutmeg

Take a look at San Diego Academy of Ballet--strong Vaganova-based training

Guest Pas de Quoi   
Guest Pas de Quoi

For those willing to travel a bit, there is Dmitri Kulev Classical Ballet Academy in South Orange County. This school is a Vaganova based school, with lots of performing opportunities for int/adv students. Just a thought ...

If you check out their successes with YAGP, you'll find they rank very highly.

jvf1   
jvf1

Ballet Arte in Solana Beach is Vaganova based. They do two full student-only ballets a year - Nut and another full-length ballet in June.

momtoemandel   
momtoemandel

Thank you all for the information. It gives me a place to start if we are required to move.

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

San Diego Ballet has a good Vaganova program. I'm not sure how the younger classes are, but the upper division classes are good. My dd tried a class there a few weeks ago, its a bit far for us though. The girls were strong, technique clean. they also have a very good schedule of classes. They generally get an hour and a half tech class followed by an hour pointe or variations each day. That is a bit hard to find here!

Del Mar Ballet is also a good solid school. Its small so there is not a big reputation... Yet. It is not Vaganova, more of a classical RAD/Cecchetti based school. The Ballet Mistress is ABT trained. They have a good schedule, a good amount of classes (fingers crossed that enrollment is enough to keep the classes). It is a very creative school. Very much ballet theater. Every year there is Nutcracker, usually a Choreographers Showcase which features student choreography, and a storybook type production at the end of the year. Last year was Lilttle Mermaid, this year was Neverland and next year will be Alice in Wonderland. They usually have a few of the professionals from our local companies come take classes there and if possible, they perform as well.

Dmitri Kulev is an excellent school - I would have my dd there if I could afford it!

momtoemandel   
momtoemandel

Well, the move is on for this summer. It should be interesting.

herekittykitty   
herekittykitty

There is also Inspire School of Ballet in Chula Vista/Eastlake. It's a small, growing studio that just opened in 2015, but the director has years of experience teaching in Chula Vista through the Parks and Rec and also at SDCYB. They do two full length ballets a year (Nutcracker and a Little Mermaid this year) with almost all student casts. Right now they are a little limited by their studio space but they have plans to add space in the next couple of years as they grow. Their rates are very reasonable as well. They also offer jazz, tap, hula and contemporary for the students, and an adult ballet class.